Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 12:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

No TV, but if I had internet I would be streaming Allclassical.org.

I am pretty partial to Baroque 1600 - 1750

Classical is a tad 'modern'... 1750 - 1820 but still OK for most listening / performing

Today I just found a Cassette in one of my Goodwill decks "Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody", seems to work OK if anyone wants it. (You likely have internet so you can get a better (non-dragging) version...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 01:24 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I totally agree. I was listening to a Marvin Gaye DVD in the car recently. Ahhhh. What a decade for outstanding, timeless music. The Temptations, Aretha, Dylan, Country Joe & the Fish, the British invasion, The Beatles, Moody Blues, Three Dog Night, Janis Joplin. There is good music in every decade, but the 60s was special. It doesn't get any better than that.

Some amazing soundtracks to movies, too. Like The Big Chill (the music was from the 60s), Easy Rider, Help!, The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

Tom Jones also burst onto the scene in the 60s. Tom Jones in his heyday, singing Delilah or It's Not Unusual. He had a tv show, too. Johnny Cash had some big hits, too.
My ringtone for when my wife calls is the beginning of Flying High. Stops right as they sing about "rainwater in my boots". It brings back memories of when I once hitchhiked on the LA freeways during rush hour. I always walked backwards figuring that even if I didn't get a ride I'd walk to where I was going. I was walking past cars at a standstill during rush hour. Some guy rolled down his window and told me he'd pick me up if I was still walking and traffic cleared.

He not only picked me up he gave me a place to crash for a month. The 60's were a great time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtfXPFRg2gw

Old 01-02-2018, 02:14 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Sitting here today listening to a good mix of music from YouTube. Oh my gosh, taking me back. Amazing how they can make me feel young again, wishing I was cruising down a road with the windows open, fresh air in my face, listening to Marvin, Sammy, Temptations, Al Green........ so many more. Of course I can't think of any more names to write...........

I remember when Marvin's "War... " came out and our country was stuck in Vietnam...... such an emotional time (for me). And I get that feeling every time I hear it.
OP, I am always amazed at how incredibly powerful music is. I was born in 1959 (and am not yet retired, but I THINK about it sometimes!) so don't remember too many of the '60s songs because I was still very young -- or, in some cases, I remember them but really had no understanding of what they were saying, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
[link to song "Up the Ladder to the Roof" by the Supremes, circa 1970] Here is a superb Supremes song that is not really well-known, but I really love it. Listening to it right now, alone in my hotel!

I LOVE Motown, and have seen lots of concerts, even if they were imposters!
Honestly, I can barely listen to this song, even though I absolutely love it. For some reason, it makes me just start crying uncontrollably -- I actually had to stop the song from going so I would stop crying!

Generally, I LOVE listening to many old songs from my childhood/teenage years/college years/etc. -- but for me, some get me WAY over-emotional. Honestly, I'm not sure why. Am I the only one this happens to?

Old 01-02-2018, 03:31 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Thankfully, I have a strong background in music and dance. My tastes run to everything excluding country and rap. I can ballroom dance and love bigband. I've seen the Glenn Miller band (official) 2 times. As a cop, I guarded the dressing room for countless groups including Loverboy, Lionel Richie, Carpenters, Heart, etc, etc.

As a competition disco dancer back in the day ( #2 in NM and #1 in El Paso with my partner) I listen to the old tunes with great sadness, my partner having died, years ago.

Don't be discouraged, thinking the new music is total crap. There are some INCREDIBLE bands out there now - who are doing some great experimental work, combining classical, celtic/folk, with metal, to produce AMAZING sounds. Personally, I LOVE Industrial. But FY enjoyment - check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAlRf9qf9d0

If you can't connect to the link, go to youtube and locate Phantom Agony by Epica

Isn't interesting how music can slam you right back there !

Old 01-02-2018, 04:28 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

Generally, I LOVE listening to many old songs from my childhood/teenage years/college years/etc. -- but for me, some get me WAY over-emotional. Honestly, I'm not sure why. Am I the only one this happens to?
If you are having a party with friends and you want to play music, select the tunes that were popular when your guests were graduating from high school.

For most people, those are the most loved songs because those were the craziest years of their lives.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:49 AM

2,542 posts, read 2,736,501 times
Music and songs are the milestones of your life. Good times.........bad times.........friends and girlfriends are all tied to certain songs for me. When I was overseas in the military music helped me get through being away from home. Pink Floyd gives me flashbacks!!

Old 01-02-2018, 06:07 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
....:
I usually drive around with my windows down and the music cranked up so high my eardrums bleed. A while back I had a CD playing full bore while I was paused at a traffic light and a little old man turned around to look at me. I was thinking, "Here we go, he'll yell at me to turn the damn noise down" but instead he gave me a thumbs up. That's when I realized all the hippies were getting old, too.
I realized that a long time ago. When in the car by myself, I always crank it up. DW thinks it’s juvenile and doesn’t like music played loud, but she really doesn’t have that same “connection “ with music that I do. I’m surprised no one from around high school class of ‘76 mentioned Linda Ronstadt, Dan Fogelburg, Jim Croce, or Harry Chapin for songs telling stories that trigger memories. Music of my youth really is a time machine for me, especially since for the most part, I had a fantastic time in my youth.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:34 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,665,222 times
One of the beautiful things about having a smart phone is that I have a 5,000 song collection in the phone (storage) where ever I go.. Mostly hits from 60s and 70's. I am unabashedly a Top 40 guy.

Saw a bumper sticker a while back that said "It's not that I'm old. You're music really does suck."

I like about 5 songs a year these days. I can take a look at an old Top 40 weekly list from the late 60's and like about 35 of them.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
lol, there is a reason why they say "music soothes the savage beast". It takes us to the "best" of times even if all else was falling apart.

I'm a huge Motown lover and Rolling stones fan. I think because my dad was a rolling stone fan and a NYC cop so when the stones came to NYC in the 60's he got assigned that beat (I think it was Carnegie hall) and got me and my brothers in to see them.

Jazz/standards while not one of my favorite genre also has an emotional connection, I remember my parents dancing to Johnny Mathias and growing up in Harlem jazz was everywhere.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Amazon Prime music is continuously playing on my stereo - some days 1980's country, other days Beatles, or some 80's jazz that I listened to as a 20-something. Really puts you in a good mood sometimes - or melancholy on others. Really get my money's worth from Amazon (tv, music, movies, shipping).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement