Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:54 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Reverse snow-birding is not the opposite of snow-birding. It is a reversed intention. Snow birds live in the north most of the year and escape to the warm climates during winter. Reverse snow birds live in warmer climates and escape to the North during summer.
Whats the difference? I live in Florida in the winter, and go to Minnesota in the summer. My wife lives in Minnesota in the summed and goes to Florida in the winter. We travel and live together. One of us a snowbird, and the other is a reverse snow bird.

It's like trying to explain the difference betrween an underpass and an overpass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Whats the difference? I live in Florida in the winter, and go to Minnesota in the summer. My wife lives in Minnesota in the summed and goes to Florida in the winter. We travel and live together. One of us a snowbird, and the other is a reverse snow bird.

It's like trying to explain the difference betrween an underpass and an overpass.
Let me clarify with an example:

Snowbird: A family lives in Minnesota and most of what they know is there, but they escape the winter for part of the year, but they don't really "move" to the warm location.

Reverse snowbird: A family lives in Florida and most of what they know is there, but they escape the heat of summer for part of the year, but they don't really "move" to the northern location.

In both cases, the family will likely stay near home longer than the snowbird location. They are only snow birding to escape the harshness of the climate, not the state as a whole. The main distinguishing difference is that one family calls the north home and the other calls the warm location home.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I have thought about staying in places available in the RCI Last calls timeshare condos. They are usually off season specials so summer in Florida and winter in New England or you could do separate countries.

www.RCI.com

Some of the same places are also for rent on the www.extraholidays.com website but they are much cheaper on the RCI members website. For instance my granddaughter graduated from college last May and I got a 2 bedroom condo at Massunutten Virginia for less than $225 per week, not per day. Sometimes they will send me a choice of many places months ahead for $199 a week. Sometimes these places are less than it takes for our daily living at home.

I like to be home for November, December and January to make sure our water pipes don't freeze. I really like traveling in spring and fall.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:44 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have thought about staying in places available in the RCI Last calls timeshare condos. They are usually off season specials so summer in Florida and winter in New England or you could do separate countries.

www.RCI.com

Some of the same places are also for rent on the www.extraholidays.com website but they are much cheaper on the RCI members website. For instance my granddaughter graduated from college last May and I got a 2 bedroom condo at Massunutten Virginia for less than $225 per week, not per day. Sometimes they will send me a choice of many places months ahead for $199 a week. Sometimes these places are less than it takes for our daily living at home.

I like to be home for November, December and January to make sure our water pipes don't freeze. I really like traveling in spring and fall.
I just spent a few minutes checking RCI "last calls" which are $269 for a week in a studio, 294 for a week in a two bedroom and $319 for 3 bedrooms or better. There were many cold places but only one in Florida and when I clicked on it, it was gone already. Maine, MA, NH, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Idaho, Colorado, Minnesota and my favorite is always Lead, SD. Several through the center part of the country such as Tennessee and Arkansas. A few in East Texas and always Las Vegas and Mesquite. Total in the USA was 269 resorts with inventory at those rates. One in Delaware was tempting because I have never been to Delaware. My only reservation is that I don't know how to deal with getting my car ready for such winter conditions. I could end up in a ditch frozen to death.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:17 PM

275 posts, read 421,201 times
It is a very interesting coincidence that I happened to read Snowbirds, Sunbirds, and Stayers: Seasonal Migration of Elderly Adults in Florida | The Journals of Gerontology: Series B | Oxford Academic this morning. They define sunbirds as being permanent residents of Florida that has spent more than 30 consecutive days at a location other than their usual place of residence. I think the definition could apply throughout the south, not just Florida. Otherwise, it is an extremely general definition and you can read the details in the article. There are extensive comparisons of snowbirds and sunbirds.

It is not so coincidental that I happened to read that article this morning then read this discussion now. I am interested in data about sunbirds that I cannot find anywhere. I will create a separate discussion about that.

Quote:
Snowbird: A family lives in Minnesota and most of what they know is there, but they escape the winter for part of the year, but they don't really "move" to the warm location.

Reverse snowbird: A family lives in Florida and most of what they know is there, but they escape the heat of summer for part of the year, but they don't really "move" to the northern location.
I think that in both cases, the people tend to spend summer in the south and winter in the north, right? Or at least that is the pattern that qualifies them for the distinction, correct?

Old 05-13-2020, 12:50 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
That would be me. I love winter, snow, cold and absolutely HATE summer.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:36 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
We do this. Our home is in Ecuador and the hottest months there are December through March.

So we go to warmer parts of Europe those months and get the off-season rates. I used to go to SoCal in winter too, for off-season rates.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:52 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
Quote:
Sheer curiosity:

Is there such thing as Anti-Snow birding (NOT reverse snow birding)?

I mean where one lives half the year somewhere hot (e.g. Arizona) during the summer and lives somewhere cold (e.g. Minnesota) during the winter. One would probably do this for the love extremes and perhaps cheaper prices I would guess.

Does it exist?
It's called Kansas. If you like variety there is plenty for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement