Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 04:07 PM

989 posts, read 769,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I lived for over 50 years in Florida and never had a run-in with an alligator. And that includes wading up to my chest in water at golf courses as a kid to get golf balls. They were the least of my worries
Do not tell them that. We have them in our back yard, we feed them the neighbors pets and Northerners that come to visit. Sorry to be flippant, but saying you do not like Florida because there are alligators is like saying, I do not like Australia because they have funnel web spiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 04:37 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Pertaining to alligators, maybe people are thinking of the recent incident where a 2 year old child was snatched by an alligator at the Disney World Resort in Orlando Florida, with the alligator carrying the child out into the water and away, leaving the child dead.

From reading and observing, I see that alligators can be found in any Floridian small pond, accumulation of water, tiny lake, and other bodies of water in Florida on residential and commercial properties..
Thankfully, the alligators cannot get into Sam's club, because everyone knows you need a membership to get inside.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:03 PM

989 posts, read 769,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Thankfully, the alligators cannot get into Sam's club, because everyone knows you need a membership to get inside.
Oh no! They are closing down a bunch of them. Where will we go for sanctuary... Costco perhaps.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:49 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Florida, home to frequent hurricanes and flying cockroaches (aka palmetto bugs). I think I'll pass.
I had to laugh when I read this. I was on assignment in Miami one July and I had a large Palmetto bug in my hotel room that I couldn't kill. I went to the desk and complained and they told me....oh it's just a Palmetto bug. I swung around and said "You can call them any pretty little name you want, but they are nothing but giant cockroaches and I want it OUT of my room!!"

I agree....Florida was nowhere on our retirement radar. Too hot and humid in the summer, hurricanes, sink holes and bugs, bugs, bugs.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Poppycock. This looks like it was written by an intern in a cubicle with internet access to other articles written by interns in a cubicles.
Probably.

I'd venture to guess the author never visited any of the States listed.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:17 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Default How to Spend Your 100th Birthday

nvm

Last edited by MadManofBethesda; 01-18-2018 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: wrong thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
My understanding is that to raise more revenue next year the state of Florida will require all palmetto bugs to have license plates.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:22 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
My understanding is that to raise more revenue next year the state of Florida will require all palmetto bugs to have license plates.
LOL. Thanks for the chuckle before I go to bed.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:11 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Yep, I've noticed. You can tell by their accents.

I've seen the ones with a dark tan, laying on the beach. Absorbing UV radiation all day, waiting to get skin cancer, really isn't my thing.

What else do the retired people in Florida do? Play bridge? Sounds like a pretty boring life to me.

My mother's friends (80's) go golfing, fishing, play tennis, play cards, go boating or kayaking, dancing and one takes care of her grandchildren 3 days a week. They are never bored and they never have to shovel snow (unless you live in the Northern part of Florida - they have had snow this year )

So many people assume Florida is full of old people and yes, it used to be that way but not anymore. Probably the only "bored" people are those who have medical issues that keep them housebound. Keep this in mind: it's easier to wipe off sweat than it is goose bumps.

Now about those palmetto bugs: yes they freak me out also but I rarely see one unless I'm outside near palmetto trees which is never. I have a monthly pest control service and the only bugs I ever see IN the house are the occasional ants.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:21 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

Otherwise, I am laughing at all the generalizations of Florida, like it's all the same everywhere you go. It's a big state -- 65K square miles -- and runs the gamut from your East coast "New Yawker" scene to the southwest Gulf coast with its majority of Midwesterners and yep, many hick towns inland. The person who said it's butt-ugly has never lived where I live, which is one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen and I've lived many places including Southern California. But it's OK, please continue trashing it, we don't need more people coming here.

I couldn't rep you again so here you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement