Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:50 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,444,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I made the mistake of going to an urban Social Security office. There was nobody anywhere near 65 in the room. It was stuffed full of people trying to scam SSDI. I had to wait several hours.
Wiser after that encounter, I've only ever used small town Social Security offices. Rutland, VT had one person in front of me. Concord, NH, I had to wait maybe 10 minutes.

I made an appointment at a major urban office (Lowell, MA). There were different people to see you if you had an appointment. Mine was five minutes late and apologized. The check-in computer was in English, Spanish and Khmer. I was impressed.

People of all ages. And not all disabilities are so visible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 01:20 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,567,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Wait 'til you have a problem.

Example: I once missed a check. On the 5th day, I reported it (whatever the length of time rule was at the time). I was told to go to my local SS office and they would have me fill out paperwork for them to write me a new check.

So I did.

By the time all was said and done, they nearly had to call security to toss me out. They actually told me, to my face, that they never, ever write checks and can't be responsible for what someone else who works at SS told
Check? SS doesn’t do checks. What year is this again???

Old 04-12-2018, 01:21 PM

4,854 posts, read 3,657,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
And not being sarcastic.

To in-person service, phone assist and now online, everything has been crisp, efficient, competent. I expected bureaucratic slogs, and have had nothing but quick and smooth sailing. Very impressed (and relieved).

Now, if the Benefits people at my former job could take some lessons...
Same here. Still on "interim" pension until Office of Personnel management adjudicates it. Maybe September....$200 for 32 years of federal service. Unbelievable. Thank goodness for my SS and Military pensions.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:25 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,551,323 times
Quote:
And not being sarcastic.

To in-person service, phone assist and now online, everything has been crisp, efficient, competent. I expected bureaucratic slogs, and have had nothing but quick and smooth sailing. Very impressed (and relieved)..
Yup, me too.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:04 PM

7,528 posts, read 13,662,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Check? SS doesn’t do checks. What year is this again???
Sometimes they do.

I got one in 2014 when SS made a mistake when I switched from Survivor's benefits to my own Retirement benefits at age 70. I had to file an appeal, and a few weeks later got a paper check to make up the shortage.

YMMV.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:21 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,922,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
They stopped sending paper checks in March 2013. So this must have been quite some time ago.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n_2439300.html

My mom was still getting a check in the mail up until she died in Dec. 2015. She didn't have a checking account anymore so no direct deposit.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,290,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I signed up on line, do everything on line, direct deposit, haven't had any problems at all with them.
I was still just shy of 65 and still on disability, but had learned you DO direct deposit. The money went in on the days it was supposed to. I discovered how ordering all but perishables food wise online works very well too, and wasn't surprised when the driver with the retirement center said since pretty much all of his usual was just ordering it that way. My bills pay that way too. No worrying about forgetting to pay something. And I check off the paid from my list, subtract the still to be paid by the balance and always know how much I really have. No more last week of the month oopsies.

I also just check that 'available' before spending more than a small amount no matter how sure I am its covered, and use a 'cushion' of do not spend unless really needed along with it. And when its some neat thing I want but its not sufficent play money, I wait until there is.

One of the best benifits of this has been that I feel secure about the finances, and as I have a way of knowing at any time if I can afford something I want, I *can* reward myself now and then. Or I find another distraction and just wait. Waiting on something you really like CAN be cool too.

This is possible because I can access my account any time I need, and with a little math see what the choice is, and that happens because of technology. Yes, you could do it yourself assuming nothing odd happened, you didn't hit the wrong key and so on. But a virtual visit to the bank will make sure.

I just wish that in some parts of my life (before the disastors) I'd have learned. And just because you have a balance which is a shouldn't ever be a problem, doesn't hurt to be sure. Even if its just assuring youself nobody has swiped the number on your credit card, even if you have plenty of income but don't keep much in terms of records, its still good to learn a very useful life skill. And should at some point things change and that need to know is important, you know the drill all ready.

And I find that I also feel much more 'in charge' of things that I have taken the choice for my finances and as other things change, that doesn't.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:26 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,922,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Here you can renew your license online. Just have to go get a new picture every ten years.

Here, in AZ, when you are issued a license it's good until you turn 65 no matter the age you get it. After that you have to renew every five years and I have to go to DMV because of new picture. The only time I had to get a new one in less than five years was when I moved and I did that online. People are advised to get a new one when they turn 21 because the license is 'different' but that's all.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:28 PM

306 posts, read 417,027 times
I also filed on line and have had no issues to date. My pension went as smoothy as well and I love Direct Deposit of both! Makes retirement even more enjoyable getting up in the am, grabbing a cup of coffee and logging into check the bank account and see the deposits

Old 04-12-2018, 06:32 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,355,892 times
Quote:
And not being sarcastic.

To in-person service, phone assist and now online, everything has been crisp, efficient, competent. I expected bureaucratic slogs, and have had nothing but quick and smooth sailing. Very impressed (and relieved).

Now, if the Benefits people at my former job could take some lessons...

It's wonderful to hear a compliment about SSA. I worked for the agency 38 years. I'm happy to hear that your experience was so good. Thank you for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement