Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:43 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,440,740 times

Advertisements

And not being sarcastic.

To in-person service, phone assist and now online, everything has been crisp, efficient, competent. I expected bureaucratic slogs, and have had nothing but quick and smooth sailing. Very impressed (and relieved).

Now, if the Benefits people at my former job could take some lessons...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:47 AM

106,863 posts, read 109,133,761 times
i did everything except spousal on line . i was amazed how efficiently medicare and my ss went without a hitch .

Old 04-12-2018, 07:51 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,038,686 times
Wait 'til you have a problem.

Example: I once missed a check. On the 5th day, I reported it (whatever the length of time rule was at the time). I was told to go to my local SS office and they would have me fill out paperwork for them to write me a new check.

So I did.

By the time all was said and done, they nearly had to call security to toss me out. They actually told me, to my face, that they never, ever write checks and can't be responsible for what someone else who works at SS told me.

I thoroughly despise lack of accountability. I flipped out. I ultimately left not in handcuffs, but for awhile, it was close.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:10 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,899,586 times
I signed up on line, do everything on line, direct deposit, haven't had any problems at all with them.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:12 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,961,337 times
We were also impressed with the ease and competence of our local Social Security office, here in Asheville. We had fast service- just took a number after walking in- no appointment. Have made several trips there- we waited until FRA for Social Security-but took Medicare at 65- and had to dispute income from two years earlier- did it twice- no problems. Checks have come as promised with withholding as specified. Sorry that others have had such trouble.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:13 AM

106,863 posts, read 109,133,761 times
we appealed a premium increase and had to go to see an examiner at ss . despite the fact her first comment was i don't a lot of rich people problems she was great and rolled us back in rate .

all done in one visit .

Old 04-12-2018, 08:15 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,440,740 times
I went in person for initial sign-up, had an appointment and was seen immediately, and got all set in 20 minutes. When I've needed papers sent to me for whatever, they've arrived in regular promptly (unlike certain others who insist that I must print out their email and can't get over that I don't currently have a printer, am moving 2000 miles next week and can't get to the library to print out what they can print out immediately and put into regular mail. Hello, Benefits!)

Am now cleared up from a password problem and will be able to do everything online, including changing my direct deposit when I move.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,988,583 times
I like them too. The trick is to go to an SS office that is not busy. Here in Houston, some SS offices have 2 hour wait time or more, and some are only 5 minutes! I have been to both, and now that I know which is which, you can belt I will always go to the 5 minute office. The phone service is often backlogged, but I think they have the callback service if the hold time is too long. SS is much easier to deal with than the sullen driver's license people. Those individuals will make you regret ever learning how to operate a motor vehicle.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,297,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Wait 'til you have a problem.

Example: I once missed a check. On the 5th day, I reported it (whatever the length of time rule was at the time). I was told to go to my local SS office and they would have me fill out paperwork for them to write me a new check.

So I did.

By the time all was said and done, they nearly had to call security to toss me out. They actually told me, to my face, that they never, ever write checks and can't be responsible for what someone else who works at SS told me.

I thoroughly despise lack of accountability. I flipped out. I ultimately left not in handcuffs, but for awhile, it was close.
They told you to go fill out paperwork for them to "write you a new check".

They did not tell you they would do it there.

Did you get it direct deposited later?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:23 AM

309 posts, read 246,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I like them too. The trick is to go to an SS office that is not busy. Here in Houston, some SS offices have 2 hour wait time or more, and some are only 5 minutes! I have been to both, and now that I know which is which, you can belt I will always go to the 5 minute office. The phone service is often backlogged, but I think they have the callback service if the hold time is too long. SS is much easier to deal with than the sullen driver's license people. Those individuals will make you regret ever learning how to operate a motor vehicle.
Lol. Actually, i have been to Rosenberg DPS and people have always been great. I even told the lady, you are guys so nice and sweet and she just smiled and said, we try to be people friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement