Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 03:55 PM

910 posts, read 2,344,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
IME many of the jobs/employers that don’t pay into Social Security are state and local government entities (many are LEO and fire departments) and the idea is that the money will be directed toward a defined benefit pension instead. But that has been evolving and will continue to evolve as those entities switche to defined contribution and TSP-type plans instead of pensions, with Sovial security becoming part of the retirement equation for those employees affected. (i.e., the feds’ shift from CSRS to FERS).

And it can be a very small group within a larger entity. I worked for a state corrections agency. The bargaining unit security staff were in a non-SS plan but the rest of the agency paid into SS.

The folks who are going to have a real problem are the individuals who seek the clergy exception to SS and fail to save anything in lieu.
From what I understand, is that people who do not contribute to SS because they contribute to defined pensions that they cover that through the Windfall Elimination Program or provision (WEP), so there is no double-dipping into an employer sponsored pension plus federal benefit of SS. Doesn't seem right these folks get penalized for having the benefit of both (I'm not one of them), but as you said afterwards, these entities are switching to defined contribution plans instead to allow them to contribute to SS and a defined savings plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 04:20 PM

7,552 posts, read 13,772,223 times
Default Why WEP exists

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
From what I understand, is that people who do not contribute to SS because they contribute to defined pensions that they cover that through the Windfall Elimination Program or provision (WEP), so there is no double-dipping into an employer sponsored pension plus federal benefit of SS. Doesn't seem right these folks get penalized for having the benefit of both (I'm not one of them), but as you said afterwards, these entities are switching to defined contribution plans instead to allow them to contribute to SS and a defined savings plan.
It might help to understand why WEP exists. It is not so much a "penalty" as it is the equalization of a previous advantage.

This is from https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

"Before 1983, people whose primary job wasn’t
covered by Social Security had their Social Security
benefits calculated as if they were long-term, low-wage
workers. They had the advantage of receiving a Social
Security benefit representing a higher percentage of
their earnings, plus a pension from a job for which
they didn’t pay Social Security taxes. Congress
passed the Windfall Elimination Provision to remove
that advantage."

Old 05-11-2018, 04:25 PM

48,718 posts, read 35,274,150 times
As I understand it, it's not the state, but your pension plan.

DH did not pay into SS during his government job because he had a pension, he may get some SS from the other jobs he worked.

In my jobs I did pay into SS because I was not covered by a similar pension.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-12-2018, 06:08 AM

11,286 posts, read 9,912,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

DH did not pay into SS during his government job because he had a pension, he may get some SS from the other jobs he worked.

But many jobs with a pension, government as well as others, do pay into SS and receive it when they retire. It's a mystery to me, why some states and agencies don't pay into it. I worked for a municipal utility (pseudo civil service) and we had some bizarre formula in which the first $135 per paycheck was exempt from SS, but the rest was subject to it. So I will receive SS, but at a very slightly reduced amount than if my whole check was taxed. I never understood that one!

Old 05-12-2018, 07:07 AM

12,068 posts, read 10,365,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
But many jobs with a pension, government as well as others, do pay into SS and receive it when they retire. It's a mystery to me, why some states and agencies don't pay into it. I worked for a municipal utility (pseudo civil service) and we had some bizarre formula in which the first $135 per paycheck was exempt from SS, but the rest was subject to it. So I will receive SS, but at a very slightly reduced amount than if my whole check was taxed. I never understood that one!
As long as they know what benefits they have - should not be a problem, but I've run into people who after 35 or 40 years of service with our school district that had no clue!

One lady said, I guess they told us at briefings, but I don't remember.

Should not be working with kids -

Old 05-12-2018, 07:07 AM

1,574 posts, read 3,308,594 times
I’m a state government employee now. I came into public work late in life, so am under the latest “tier” of pension an which means my contributions are higher, I must work longer, and my pension factor is lower than those who came to work a couple of years before I did. Under my plan, employees have Lways paid into social security as well as the defined benefit pension. I pay almost 11% of my gross toward my pension.

My husband is affected by WEP. We understand it as explained above. It’s really not a penalty. Rather, it’s a truing up. But he also had a lot of years of sufficient SS earnings so the WEP was really minimal.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:37 AM

9,631 posts, read 5,427,967 times
I worked for a municipal police department and paid into the state pension system, not social security. So, when I go to collect social security, I have the 'windfall elimination', a calculated deduction in my benefit based on the fact that I receive a pension from the PD.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:09 PM

25,607 posts, read 56,706,478 times
WEP offset SS can be avoided if one works at least least 30 years at employment subject to SS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windfa...tion_Provision

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep.html

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep.html

We've had posters who were aware of WEP who have done this. I remember one who stated she intentionally left a non-SS job and then worked under SS for 30 years for this reason.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-12-2018 at 01:20 PM..

Old 05-12-2018, 01:59 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,617,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
I worked for a municipal police department and paid into the state pension system, not social security. So, when I go to collect social security, I have the 'windfall elimination', a calculated deduction in my benefit based on the fact that I receive a pension from the PD.

I worked for two gov’t agencies and I am collecting pensions from both. Since they both also deducted money from my paycheck towards SS I suffered no WEP to my SS benefit. So it’s not about having a pension. It’s about whether you payed SS taxes while working for the employer who provides the pension.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:47 PM

48,718 posts, read 35,274,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I worked for two gov’t agencies and I am collecting pensions from both. Since they both also deducted money from my paycheck towards SS I suffered no WEP to my SS benefit. So it’s not about having a pension. It’s about whether you payed SS taxes while working for the employer who provides the pension.
It's the type of pension agreement. I have a small gov't pension, same state/city/county as DH. Our pensions were different (as negotiated by the unions). I paid SS, DH did not. His is worth wayyyyyyy more than mine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement