Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:54 PM

48 posts, read 34,434 times

Advertisements

I never had chicken pox

Old 05-27-2018, 01:48 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I get my second shot in a few weeks. Just a sore arm at the injection site for maybe 2 days. Still employed and BC/BS covered it as I am 60.
It probably depends on the policy.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:50 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Pennywise. Pound Foolish! My BIL and a friend of mine got Shingled. $170 is nothing compared to the misery they endured
Some don't have the $ to spare.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:20 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Yes, too bad they couldn't offer everyone a miracle cure, or prevention with 100% guarentees, or a promise of no ill side-effects. Damn those big Pharma slackers!

WE DEMAND PERFECTION AND NOTHING LESS!
What the freak ...?

Who said they demand a miracle cure of perfection; 100% guaranteed side-effect free? Overreact much?

The CDC states that it’s safe to get the Shingrix 5 years after having received the Zostavax, based on data. The CDC has stated that they don’t know if it’s safe to get Shingrix less than 5 years after getting Zostavax because the data either does not exist, is insufficient, or has not been analyzed yet. No data= no evidence= theoretical.

But when a patient asks specifically if it’s safe for them because they had the former vaccine last year & their provider says “Yes, it is”: Most people are going to assume that means that there is data to back that up.

But there is not. I would never demand perfection but yes; I do demand data.

Pharma slackers? Doubtful. They have apparently fulfilled their obligations to the CDC. It’s the CDC that is obligated to us.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:11 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
That's a joke, son. Don't get your feathers all ruffled up.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:20 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
At age 68, in 2012, I came down with the shingles for the second time.

The first was over 38 years ago, when my wife and baby daughter caught the chicken pox. She is an only child, and never had them when she was a kid, as was my mother, who caught the chicken pox when I was in the 4th grade. My mom, brother and baby sister all caught them, but my dad was immune, and I never got pocky, but may have picked up the virus.

My first case of shingles was almost nothing- a bit of rash on one arm. As long as I didn't touch it, it was no bother.

But my second case broke out in my right eyebrow, next to the bridge of my nose. My right eye swelled shut, and a rash broke out on the right side of my forehead. My right eyelid was also rashy. And the pain was terrible!

The doctor said I was very lucky the inside of my eyelid didn't develop a rash. The shingles sometimes does that, and blindness is often the result.

I was cursed with the breakout for about 3 weeks or more. When it subsided, a wen developed in the spot where they first broke out, and I broke it open with a needle. Calcium in a paste came out; the shingles had attacked the bone in that spot. After the scab there finally healed, the skin is dead white; there's no color in that spot at all.

I inquired about the vaccine after I healed, but the doctor said I really didn't need it, as my immunity was now built up again. He said I could catch it again in another 30 years if I live that long.

Get vaccinated, especially if you have caught them once already. The second breakout was being immunized the hard way, and no one wants the misery I went through.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:44 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
What the freak ...?

Who said they demand a miracle cure of perfection; 100% guaranteed side-effect free? Overreact much?

The CDC states that it’s safe to get the Shingrix 5 years after having received the Zostavax, based on data. The CDC has stated that they don’t know if it’s safe to get Shingrix less than 5 years after getting Zostavax because the data either does not exist, is insufficient, or has not been analyzed yet. No data= no evidence= theoretical.

But when a patient asks specifically if it’s safe for them because they had the former vaccine last year & their provider says “Yes, it is”: Most people are going to assume that means that there is data to back that up.

But there is not. I would never demand perfection but yes; I do demand data.

Pharma slackers? Doubtful. They have apparently fulfilled their obligations to the CDC. It’s the CDC that is obligated to us.
Uh... my post makes use of "sarcasm" to emphasize my meaning. If you'd read any of my other posts on this topic you would have known this. Essentially, I'm mocking those on this forum that truly believe that Pharmaceutical Corporations are nothing but greedy, incompetent, dishonest entities shoving unnecessary vaccines and pills down our throats for their own gain with no thought whatsoever for the welfare of human kind (or animals also for that matter).

In case you're unaware of its meaning, Urban Dictionary defines sarcasm as: "A tongue of which the user speaks of something the complete opposite of what the user means. It often has the best comedic value."

Last edited by BijouBaby; 05-28-2018 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-29-2018, 11:04 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Live virus vaccines are not given during pregnancy because of the possibility that they will cause birth defects. Viruses mess with Cellular DNA.

If you are raising livestock, and just concerned with having healthy animals, live virus vaccines are given before breeding, and killed virus/bacterin vaccines are given during pregnancy. That provides the maximum load of maternal antibodies to the newborn. Access to colostrum (first milk) is essential for maternal antibodies. Right after birth, the mammary glands of the mother strip immune globulin from the mother's bloodstream and concentrates it in the colostrum. The newborn's pancreas is not active yet, so the globulin is not denatured in the intestinal tract, and goes into the newborn blood stream, where it provides protection against a host of diseases. Maternal antibodies fade, but give the young one a good start. They will still need vaccination as the immune system matures.

I doubt very much that a fetal infection could confer lifelong immunity to anything. In most cases, the fetal immune system does not even exist. Under good conditions, maternal antibodies will provide protection for a few months at most.
I had my children in 1979 and 1984 and had all those childhood diseases myself passing my lifetime immunity to my unborn children. Rubella the only exception, which I also had. I was given a blood test and still had antibodies to it 30+ years later.

I breastfed my children long before they became eligible for their own vaccinations for these diseases. Their pediatrician was unconcerned about them catching these diseases because I was still passing my own antibodies on to them.

We live in a far different fear induced world today.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:21 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Back to the OT of Shingles. I have been criticized here by medical professionals for saying that the people I have known, not all my blood relatives, said it itched and weren't in horrible PAIN. Yet, I have read posts on here saying that their shingles itched them. We are not clones of one another and people WILL have different experiences with these diseases, but advertising the worst cases will sell far more vaccinations to put fear in the minds of the public to get vaccines and medications. FYI, you have the medical professionals posting here, but I worked in a Pharma in the Finance section. I come from a different perspective on this.

How can people go to work with Shingles? Because they were not in horrible pain, but ITCHING! Don't say that. My husband (mid 60's) and my SIL (32 and not my BLOOD RELATIVE) went to work for a week before ever going to a doctor for it. My SIL had a Newborn at the time. Doctor said wash your hands and wear a shirt around his son, who never caught chicken pox from him.

My daughter's friend (34 and not my BLOOD RELATIVE) continued to work through having it, AND making final plans for her wedding. My older daughter (38) could not work because Shingles was all over her face and she worked with the public. It never went into her eyes. Both she, her friend, and her BIL were far too young to get a Shingles vax.

Stop with the one sizes fits all. Don't discount those of us with lesser degree experiences. I can say the same for Flu, Norovirus, Skin Allergies, etc., but that won't sell more vaccines/medications and needs to stopped. Right?

I am not trying to tell anyone else what to do, but people do need to know of others experiences even if that does not coincide with medical science or Big Pharms Advertising.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:26 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Back to the OT of Shingles. I have been criticized here by medical professionals for saying that the people I have known, not all my blood relatives, said it itched and weren't in horrible PAIN. Yet, I have read posts on here saying that their shingles itched them. We are not clones of one another and people WILL have different experiences with these diseases, but advertising the worst cases will sell far more vaccinations to put fear in the minds of the public to get vaccines and medications. FYI, you have the medical professionals posting here, but I worked in a Pharma in the Finance section. I come from a different perspective on this.

How can people go to work with Shingles? Because they were not in horrible pain, but ITCHING! Don't say that. My husband (mid 60's) and my SIL (32 and not my BLOOD RELATIVE) went to work for a week before ever going to a doctor for it. My SIL had a Newborn at the time. Doctor said wash your hands and wear a shirt around his son, who never caught chicken pox from him.

My daughter's friend (34 and not my BLOOD RELATIVE) continued to work through having it, AND making final plans for her wedding. My older daughter (38) could not work because Shingles was all over her face and she worked with the public. It never went into her eyes. Both she, her friend, and her BIL were far too young to get a Shingles vax.

Stop with the one sizes fits all. Don't discount those of us with lesser degree experiences. I can say the same for Flu, Norovirus, Skin Allergies, etc., but that won't sell more vaccines/medications and needs to stopped. Right?

I am not trying to tell anyone else what to do, but people do need to know of others experiences even if that does not coincide with medical science or Big Pharms Advertising.
Sigh......

Jo, most of the people who caught polio didn't become crippled or end up in an iron lung either. A sizable number did though and no one I know wants to be crippled. Its really the same thing with shingles. I have a colleague at work who runs around the office ranting about vaccination the way you do, except he did see that his kids got their childhood vaccinations. He got shingles and it was painful, but seemed to go away after a week or two. However, try telling that to someone who gets it in their eye and ends up losing the sight in that eye after an excruciatingly painful experience. Or, heaven forbid, tell that to someone who suffers from post herpetic neuralgia years after a shingles infection. Finally, tell that to someone who itches in that part of their body for evermore. You could spin a lottery wheel. You don't what if any side effects it will produce. What you should be willing to recognize is that shingles is an infectious disease that can potentially be prevented in perhaps 90% of all people with the new vaccine. Rational people become happy when they hear that.

Most of us do not understand your irrational fear of this and other vaccines. I take the time to reply because--frankly--ignorance can be a dangerous thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.