Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:30 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Sigh......

Jo, most of the people who caught polio didn't become crippled or end up in an iron lung either. A sizable number did though and no one I know wants to be crippled. Its really the same thing with shingles. I have a colleague at work who runs around the office ranting about vaccination the way you do, except he did see that his kids got their childhood vaccinations. He got shingles and it was painful, but seemed to go away after a week or two. However, try telling that to someone who gets it in their eye and ends up losing the sight in that eye after an excruciatingly painful experience. Or, heaven forbid, tell that to someone who suffers from post herpetic neuralgia years after a shingles infection. Finally, tell that to someone who itches in that part of their body for evermore. You could spin a lottery wheel. You don't what if any side effects it will produce. What you should be willing to recognize is that shingles is an infectious disease that can potentially be prevented in perhaps 90% of all people with the new vaccine. Rational people become happy when they hear that.

Most of us do not understand your irrational fear of this and other vaccines. I take the time to reply because--frankly--ignorance can be a dangerous thing.
Oh, please don't talk to me about itching, or pain, and what is perfectly safe for the general public. I have no choice in it because of the "greater good" of society. I am not getting into this on here, but Jamin knows what I am talking about.

I have deal with "medical professionals" PUSHING pain meds on me when I told them I didn't want or need them. You WILL be in pain! Sorry, no. After 70 years I know my own body. It seems far too many people trust doctors to tell them how they MUST be feeling.

My point is that we are all INDIVIDUALS and what might be right for one person, won't be right for another. It must be a CHOICE whether it is a vaccine or a medication.

As I said on another post, stop saying that ALL people will experience horrible pain with shingles. That simply is not true, or that everyone who had chicken pox will get shingles. Make your own decision. We are all Adults and not little children who can be legislated into this.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:44 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, please don't talk to me about itching, or pain, and what is perfectly safe for the general public. I have no choice in it because of the "greater good" of society. I am not getting into this on here, but Jamin knows what I am talking about.

I have deal with "medical professionals" PUSHING pain meds on me when I told them I didn't want or need them. You WILL be in pain! Sorry, no. After 70 years I know my own body. It seems far too many people trust doctors to tell them how they MUST be feeling.

My point is that we are all INDIVIDUALS and what might be right for one person, won't be right for another. It must be a CHOICE whether it is a vaccine or a medication.

As I said on another post, stop saying that ALL people will experience horrible pain with shingles. That simply is not true, or that everyone who had chicken pox will get shingles. Make your own decision. We are all Adults and not little children who can be legislated into this.
Amen!

Old 05-29-2018, 07:30 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,506,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Sigh......

Jo, most of the people who caught polio didn't become crippled or end up in an iron lung either. A sizable number did though and no one I know wants to be crippled. Its really the same thing with shingles. I have a colleague at work who runs around the office ranting about vaccination the way you do, except he did see that his kids got their childhood vaccinations. He got shingles and it was painful, but seemed to go away after a week or two. However, try telling that to someone who gets it in their eye and ends up losing the sight in that eye after an excruciatingly painful experience. Or, heaven forbid, tell that to someone who suffers from post herpetic neuralgia years after a shingles infection. Finally, tell that to someone who itches in that part of their body for evermore. You could spin a lottery wheel. You don't what if any side effects it will produce. What you should be willing to recognize is that shingles is an infectious disease that can potentially be prevented in perhaps 90% of all people with the new vaccine. Rational people become happy when they hear that.

Most of us do not understand your irrational fear of this and other vaccines. I take the time to reply because--frankly--ignorance can be a dangerous thing.

It is NOT ignorance when one makes an informed decision to decline the vaccine even after reading all the posts in favor of getting the vaccine. I made the informed decision not to have the vaccine as well, as did others posting in this thread. I take offense at your calling Jo ignorant, which relays to myself and others as well who don't agree with the majority posting here.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 05-29-2018 at 07:40 PM..

Old 05-29-2018, 08:32 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
[/b]

It is NOT ignorance when one makes an informed decision to decline the vaccine even after reading all the posts in favor of getting the vaccine. I made the informed decision not to have the vaccine as well, as did others posting in this thread. I take offense at your calling Jo ignorant, which relays to myself and others as well who don't agree with the majority posting here.
Thank you. Maybe the medical professionals need to hear our views even more so, but I won't name them.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:01 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Since this has degenerated into a vaccine/anti-vaccine argument, CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement