Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:35 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times

Advertisements

Prices vary all over the country (and all over the different places that provide the Shingrix vaccine). That being said, I rang Costco and got a quote of $159 per shot, in Washington State. I am going to call a few more places to see if that's the best price around here.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:49 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Yep, I had chicken pox at age 10, kinda late in the game. I recall my Mom put calamine lotion all over me to stop me from scratching. So, reading about this vaccine (I already had the old one), I decided to do it.

Got the shot ($170) at Frys pharmacy, a reputable place here in Prescott. That was Monday. I felt a wee bit tired and "out of sorts" for 24 hours. I still ate, slept, gardened, had okay days. My old carpal tunnel decided to re emerge in one wrist, but no other pain. Today it's 48 hours later and I feel fine. So many horror stories about Shingles. So now, I think I am protected. I say go get the shot. Shingles is a horrid illness !!

If you got Shingrex. you still need a repeat dose in 6 months

Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeniejeans View Post
We are considering the vaccine, so I appreciate your sharing how the experience went for you!
Less injection site sore than after flu vaccine for both of us

Old 05-23-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
$170????????? I'll take my chances.
If you had chicken pox, you are in danger of getting Shingles

Shingles is not benign. 1) it hurts like hell 2) you can go blind if it gets in your eyes

Old 05-23-2018, 05:56 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
I got the older Zostavax vaccination about 8 years ago, although I never had a trace of Shingles, until two months after the shot. But it's never been bad and is limited mostly to deep itching spells and a few sore spots on my back. My coverage paid for that vaccination. I will find out in a few weeks, if they will cover the Shingrix shots. I read last fall, that the retail price for Shingrix would be $280. and $230. for Zostavax, so there must be discounts by some pharmacies, for the new vaccination.

It would be ironic, if the vaccination that seemed to give me Shingles, was covered, but the one that might block it, was not.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:01 AM

375 posts, read 609,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
If you got Shingrex. you still need a repeat dose in 6 months
You can get the 2nd dose two to six months after the 1st.

In my town, the only place that had the new vaccine in stock, according to my Dr, was the Osco pharmacy inside Shaw's grocery store; so I didn't shop around for pricing. I was just glad to get the vaccine.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:04 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Yep, I had chicken pox at age 10, kinda late in the game. I recall my Mom put calamine lotion all over me to stop me from scratching. So, reading about this vaccine (I already had the old one), I decided to do it.

Got the shot ($170) at Frys pharmacy, a reputable place here in Prescott. That was Monday. I felt a wee bit tired and "out of sorts" for 24 hours. I still ate, slept, gardened, had okay days. My old carpal tunnel decided to re emerge in one wrist, but no other pain. Today it's 48 hours later and I feel fine. So many horror stories about Shingles. So now, I think I am protected. I say go get the shot. Shingles is a horrid illness !!
You think you are protected, but you’re only sort of protected. My understanding is that you can still get shingles.

I’ve had shingles 3 times, the first time the vaccine was new and my doctor wasn’t recommending it yet. In all cases it was caught early and an antiviral knocked it right out. I’m not anti vaccine, but for some reason, neither of my family doctors have ever suggested it get it.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:32 AM

337 posts, read 448,978 times
I had shingles (about 25 years ago) that were on my back and ran in perfection formation following my rib bones. Felt like knives stabbing me in the ribs. Would rather have broken ribs. I took the first shingles vaccination shot about 2 weeks ago. I didn't go lift weights/exercise after, like I normally do, or take a motrin. My arm was pretty tender for about 3 days and a dull pain seem to run up my shoulder and neck. I get a booster shot in a couple of months. Compared to having a bout with shingles, I am happy to endure the vaccination soreness.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:00 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I got the older Zostavax vaccination about 8 years ago, although I never had a trace of Shingles, until two months after the shot. But it's never been bad and is limited mostly to deep itching spells and a few sore spots on my back. My coverage paid for that vaccination. I will find out in a few weeks, if they will cover the Shingrix shots. I read last fall, that the retail price for Shingrix would be $280. and $230. for Zostavax, so there must be discounts by some pharmacies, for the new vaccination.

It would be ironic, if the vaccination that seemed to give me Shingles, was covered, but the one that might block it, was not.
You got a mild case of shingles after getting the Zostavax vaccine because Zostavax contains a live virus and one of the side effects is a small chance of having a mild and short outbreak after the shot. Most people didn't have this experience; you seem to be among the unlucky few. I didn't get the Zostavax shot because I was under 60 and was denied it. So I had my outbreak at 56. Now the rules have changed and I would have been allowed to have the vaccine, and would have been spared that horrible experience. That STILL bums me out when I think about it. Even at over 50, the doc could have given it to me, but I would have paid for it myself. But he refused. Needless to say, he is no longer my doc.

The new Shingrix vaccine does not contain a live component, so there is no chance of having an outbreak due to the vaccine. That is one of the major improvements of this vaccine over the previous one.

And no, you don't need a doctor's RX. You can just walk into any Walgreens and if they have it in stock, you can get it then and there, with either payment from you or your insurance if they cover it. I've read that Medicare part D won't cover it. I'm not on Medicare so don't know the reasons why.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:25 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I had the first of the required two new shingles shots and I experienced chills and aches for four days and was reliant on Advil to get me through it. Seems like every old muscle or joint issue, an elbow ache from a fall, stubbed toes, etc kicked in during those four days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.