Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:56 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,461,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't know if I ever had chicken pox but do know I had every other childhood malady. Someone told me the other day that there's a test I can have that will tell me but maybe I should do it, 'just in case'. I take it Medicare doesn't cover it or was the $170 your co-pay? I'll have to ask at work. I was also told that I should have a second pneumonia vaccine.
They (CDC?) estimates that 99% of those aged 40 and above have been exposed to chicken pox even if they don't remember actually getting it - it was ubiquitous before they came out with shots for it.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:56 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,685,943 times
Shingles is really nasty, a pain like no other. It's years since I had it and I still get repeats of the nerve pain whenever I am stressed - apparently there is no limit to how long before the recurrent pain stops coming back.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:25 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,586,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
$170????????? I'll take my chances.
Pennywise. Pound Foolish! My BIL and a friend of mine got Shingled. $170 is nothing compared to the misery they endured

Old 05-23-2018, 12:42 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,760,058 times
I read about the shot, some time ago, and saw signs that the pharmacy had the shot. I asked at my internist about it and he told me they did not carry it due to the high cost.

I checked with my pharmacy and the pharmacist rolled his eyes and commented how expensive the two shots were.

With those comments from my doctor and pharmacist, I decided to pass.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:43 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,461,139 times
I got the original shingles shot about 7 years ago. My arm ached for over a year. Yes, a whole year. I know that is not a standard reaction, but if you research it, it does happen. Unlucky me.

That said, I do not regret getting that shot. My late mother in law got shingles twice. Oh how that poor woman suffered...for weeks! That was all it took to convince me to get the shot. I also had an uncle who suffered from shingles, he was in agony for weeks.

$170 for a shot? worth every red cent to avoid the misery of shingles. I plan to get the "updated" shot soon.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:51 PM

1,207 posts, read 942,147 times
Got mine six weeks ago. Had to go to the drug store for the shot, but it was completely covered by BCBS. They did remind me to come for the second one after two months. My arm ached mildly for three days. One funny thing, they were not set up for privacy in the small drug store, and it was still winter, so I had on a sweater. A couple of the employees held up their coats to shield me from view while I quickly pulled off the sweater so the druggist could jab me.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:13 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,925,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Pennywise. Pound Foolish! My BIL and a friend of mine got Shingled. $170 is nothing compared to the misery they endured

Maybe so but if I had an extra $170 laying around I would buy groceries.

Right after I read this post I saw a commercial on tv about a lawsuit against a shingles vaccine because it gave people shingles.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:21 PM

6,644 posts, read 7,389,574 times
Just got back from my regular Dr's visit. The Dr said that the CDC recommends that you get the new shot even if you did get a shot years before. The Dr also advised that I wait a few months to give her time to see what problems might come up.

I know a few people that have gotten shingles and I have no desire to get shingles so I will get the shot in a few months.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:29 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,209,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I read about the shot, some time ago, and saw signs that the pharmacy had the shot. I asked at my internist about it and he told me they did not carry it due to the high cost.

I checked with my pharmacy and the pharmacist rolled his eyes and commented how expensive the two shots were.

With those comments from my doctor and pharmacist, I decided to pass.
Don't let the cost or some Pharmacist rolling his eyes dissuade you from getting the vaccine. Shingles is a really horrible thing. I had it about 3 years ago and as another poster said, it's a kind of pain like no other. Truly beyond miserable. And the postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) after the outbreak can last a lifetime. I still get it periodically if I get hot and sweaty when the pox sites on my back get sensitive, though it is lessening with time. I read that is really what the vaccine is meant to prevent - the postherpetic neuralgia that can accompany a shingles outbreak and stay with your for years or a lifetime. They think this vaccine's protection will last at least 10 years, but no one knows for sure since it only just became available for general distribution. Still that's twice the protection that the old vaccine (Zostavax) provided - only 5 years.

Most insurance pays for it now and they have dropped the 60 age limit you used to have to be in order for a doc to give you the vaccine, or for the insurance company to pay for it. I have BCBS and they paid 100% and recommend getting the vaccine anytime after 50. But even if I'd had to pay for it myself, I would - knowing what shingles is really like.

I got the new Shingrix vaccine dose #1 a couple of weeks ago. I did have some discomfort for a few days and still have the bruise at the injection site, which I gladly endure in order to not risk another outbreak. But I was still able to be fully functional those days, just not at my best. I have the 2nd dose scheduled in two months. This time I'll get it on a Friday so I have the weekend to chill afterward if I feel crappy.

A little pain now to prevent BIG BIG BIG pain later. Totally worth it.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:34 PM

2,506 posts, read 1,887,903 times
Do you have to have a prescription from a doctor or can you just walk in and get it (and pay for it, of course)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement