Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 03:20 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Hello Old People!

I was reading an interview with Vinod Khosla, the venture capitalist who bought Martins Beach.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...a-vinod-khosla

Now, before you get all up in arms, Khosla says he's never even been there and wishes he hadn't bought it.

When talking about his lifestyle, though, he said that eating during the day saps his energy and makes him less productive. He has one meal: dinner. He is 63.

At 65, I'm finding the three-meals-a-day thing makes me feel tired. Could he be onto something?
I think, my personal opinion mind you, is that people eat too frequently. Never experience true hunger. Hubs and I eat a couple times a day, sometimes I only eat once.

We are not super physically active and just don't expend all those calories. Eating three times a day makes us fat and sluggish...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 03:22 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I’m 70. I eat a lot less than I used to. I just get full fast. If I feel like eating breakfast, I do. If I’m hungry at lunch, I eat something, but usually, I’m not. We eat a healthy, well balanced, dinner.
I guess I would sum it up as, I eat what and when I please. If I didn’t cook dinner for my husband, I’d eat still less than I do now.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:31 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I generally only eat two meals a day and have for years.

I don't know where this three meal a day thing started? Was it the cereal people?

Europeans generally only have coffee for breakfast, but they do eat a late dinner. I also eat late.

Europeans do eat lunch, but many places also have coffee or tea breaks, when they also snack, so maybe eat less at the main meals.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:40 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m 70. I eat a lot less than I used to. I just get full fast. If I feel like eating breakfast, I do. If I’m hungry at lunch, I eat something, but usually, I’m not. We eat a healthy, well balanced, dinner.
I guess I would sum it up as, I eat what and when I please. If I didn’t cook dinner for my husband, I’d eat still less than I do now.
I don't eat a lot either. I find it strange to see people older than me still packing away huge amounts of food! And the food they can eat. South Texas spicy concoctions. My GERD will not allow that.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:46 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
When we were working my wife and I cooked for the whole week on weekends, then would freeze or refrigerate portions to reheat for dinner. Lunch was whatever we could brown bag, mostly sandwiches or salads. Since retiring, we have trained ourselves to cook smaller portions, which tend more toward the gourmet side of the menu.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:54 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
I haven't changed my eating habits as I've aged, have never eaten the standard 3 meals a day and still don't. I do have breakfast, but then I have multiple small "meals" throughout the day, not necessarily at lunchtime or dinnertime.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:55 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,593 times
I prefer some toast and fruit for breakfast, or an egg sandwich. Then a nice medium sized lunch. That may be a smoothie for dinner.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:04 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
I'm one of those that can’t skip breakfast - but we sure do eat a whole lot less these days. We don't usually eat lunch unless we're active - like on gym days - and we eat a lighter supper too. What used to be a serving of meat for us has now become two. We can easily split a chicken breast or other piece of meat and usually have two servings on non-starchy veggies. I would be willing to skip dinner altogether and just have a light snack but hubby likes his main meal in the evening.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:08 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
I'm 65, and I eat less then I did in my working years. The food that I'm eating is high calorie and high protein. I don't eat for several hours first thing in the morning and then have my largest meal then and just snack the rest of the day.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:26 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
All my adult life I ate just 2 meals a day. Lunch and a late dinner.

Now, being more sedentary, I just eat dinner, around 8:00.

Something is probably wrong with me because I am never hungry. Food bogs me down, even a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement