Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 09:29 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
We have been to different European countries a number of times and see many people eat breakfast. All the B&Bs which we stayed with served huge breakfasts. In our travel, we absolutely loved Irish, British and New Zealand's hearty full breakfasts which usually lasted us until 2 p.m.

I did a quick search on Europerans' breakfasts and could not find any articles stating that they only have coffee for breakfast!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfast

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a6730126.html

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...fast-in-europe
Yes, I noticed this too. Big hearty breakfasts, a midday tea with a delightful dessert, and another hearty dinner.
We had a lot of bland food in the UK, but it was wholesome and filling. The midday desserts were gorgeous and delicious. I’m still dreaming of the wedge of lemon meringue pie I had, which was amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 11:16 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,611,841 times
One thing I've noticed being retired is that I crave to eat out a couple of times a week, nothing fancy mind you, just a change of scene from my cooking & staying home.

I don't know if it is because I hardly cooked at all when I worked & got used to that or if because where I live it is so commonplace to go to some ethnic hole-in-the-wall for lunch or get something delivered for dinner a couple times a week or so. I would guess a minimum of 3X/wk a modest meal from outside sources.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:17 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Old person here. Well since I no longer have to squeeze into a uniform, take a mandatory physical exam and pt test every year, I tend to eat what I want when I want. Yeah, I've gotten flabby. I don't care.

Cold pizza at 3am isn't bad.

Look out though. Metabolic syndrome can be creeping up on you.

Stay in at least decent shape for yourself, not for a job, or anyone else.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
My whole life has pretty much been a diet and I don't see that changing. One of the biggest regrets I have is never being able to eat like a 'normal' person. I have always been ruled by a number on the scale or the size label in my jeans. Darn it. Every bite I don't eat is a victory and each bite I eat is a defeat.

I haven't had 3 meals a day since I was a fat kid! I usually eat 1 meal a day plus a snack. Occasionally 2 meals a day but never three. I can't even imagine 3 meals a day!

Old 09-13-2018, 02:15 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times
I have changed my diet hoping to go into retirement used to being at a healthy weight. I went from a BMI of 33 to 24. I have been exercising a lot and I am in great shape now. I did this in preparation for my 60th and I have maintained the lower weight about 6 months. I want to be healthy and active when I retire.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
There is an interesting article in the current AARP magazine. After 70 we need to emphasize protein. Apparently nutrition guidelines for old people lump everyone 55-100 together. Apparently around age 70 our needs change. We do need fruits and veggies, but we also need eat protein. Protein prevents muscle wasting, which can lead to weakness.

The author stressed it was supposed to be lean protein, though. Like fish.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:18 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,260,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Hello Old People!

I was reading an interview with Vinod Khosla, the venture capitalist who bought Martins Beach.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...a-vinod-khosla

Now, before you get all up in arms, Khosla says he's never even been there and wishes he hadn't bought it.

When talking about his lifestyle, though, he said that eating during the day saps his energy and makes him less productive. He has one meal: dinner. He is 63.

At 65, I'm finding the three-meals-a-day thing makes me feel tired. Could he be onto something?
I’m 63and have abandoned my large farm breakfasts of bacon or sausage, eggs, toast, and hash browns for yogurt and fruit. And I feel much better in the mornings without all that heavy food laying in my stomach.

Overall I am definitely changing my eating habits, for the better.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
One thing I've noticed being retired is that I crave to eat out a couple of times a week, nothing fancy mind you, just a change of scene from my cooking & staying home. ...
Sept 2018 is YOUR month to eat out... (if you can digest a Wendy's) Download the app and get one free 1/4# Cheeseburger for free (Every Day!)(I get mine 'lettuce wrapped / no bun so I can have space for THIS >>>) & $ 0.50 Frosty's at the moment. I cap my grocery and eating out to $100 / month, so ~ $3 / day. It works... I do a 'happy hour' entree ($5) 1-2x per month. The Chili and Side Salad are another Wendy's offering, and I do a $0.99 Tostada @ TB a couple times / month

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
...I can't even imagine 3 meals a day!

Same... NEVER had 3 squares / day (except as a kid on the farm.)

Oh My... were they ever SQUARE ! big / full of Protein and FAT (bacon grease)

Been doing a DIY omelet using (Costco) 'Power Greens' a couple x per week, Also the Costco Rotisserie Chicken for 20+ servings per bird (salads / soup / burritos...)

Old 09-13-2018, 11:19 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Why can't you take your pills at noon? Wouldn't that be the same 24 hour interval?

And I wonder about this "have to take meds at certain time" thing.

If it was really really important, those of us on meds like that should be strapped to a hospital bed 24/7.
I have18 prescriptions.

I take some morning noon and night, some are repeats.

I don't think I need to strapped to a bed.

But hey, if you don't want to take needed meds, go for it.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:01 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have18 prescriptions.

I take some morning noon and night, some are repeats.

I don't think I need to strapped to a bed.

But hey, if you don't want to take needed meds, go for it.

The person said they had to eat breakfast cuz they had to take a pill. I said, why can't you just take it at lunch? This under the assumption that it was only one pill they had to take during the day. If you take it at noon daily, it would be the same 24 hour interval as if you took it at breakfast time.

As for being strapped to a bed, I have siblings that freak out if they take a pill 15 minutes past their usual time. They read the instructions and feel it is a life or death situation if they don't take it the same time on the dot. So I tell them the strapped to the bed scenario.

We did have one friend that had to have intravenous antibiotics. She was placed in a rehab home so they would make sure she got them. Now that is a life and death, strapped to a bed medicine taking situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement