Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:23 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times

Advertisements

So the sellers are leaving most of the furniture in the new house but they're taking nearly all the art. I've been looking in local galleries when I've had time, which isn't often.

I found a painting that seems almost emblematic of retirement: A swimsuited woman on a river in an inner tube, with a drink in one hand and the other hand trailing in the water, creating little sparks of light. I wanted to buy it but first I needed to know more about the artist. Maybe it's weird, but I like to support deserving artists and feel as though I made a tiny difference in their life by buying their work.

The eye-opener: The artist and her husband just donated $20 million to the not-for-profit medical group where I receive most of my care. The facility I use is about to be named after them. So much for starving artists!

Do you search for art that speaks to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 09:38 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I like Thomas Kinkade. I have The End of the Perfect Day II. Bought it 20 years ago. Can't afford anything else. All the "art" I have are photographs I took.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:55 AM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
I have a picture of our son that I would like to put up, but we have run out of wall space. Our condo is not large and the walls are full of pictures, mementos and souvenirs. To some it might be a hodge-podge, but to us it is our lifetime of family and experiences.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:59 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I have a couple of large pieces of original art that my husband and I bought back when we were still working and making money. Really, they were his choices more than my own, but I didn't hate them, so I thought, why not.

He's been gone for almost five years now, and those pieces are still hanging on my wall. I'd love to sell them, but I really don't know how.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:14 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
I have a half dozen original watercolors by a talented wildlife artist in Wales, bought about ten years ago. Also an early 1800s portrait miniature, a couple of turn of the century oil paintings of wildlife, and a ridiculously large (3' x 5' unframed) late Victorian painting of young women in a pastoral setting. Takes up two-thirds of the wall in the room it's in but I saw it in an antique shop about fifteen years ago and loved it at first sight.

The house I have now is only 1/4 the size of the one we had when I bought most of my art (originals or limited edition prints) and so I had to dispose of a lot of it when I moved. My son took some pieces but even so, wall space is at a premium because I don't like the look of a lot of pieces of art on a single wall. I have one hallway like that, with all wildlife art, but in general I like lots of space around any art. No crowding. So I'd have to really be in love with a piece of art to buy it nowadays.

I used to go to local galleries but stopped because I don't want to be tempted to buy something and then discover that there's no "perfect" place to hang it. And putting it in a less than perfect place would bug the heck out of me.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:45 AM

6,304 posts, read 4,199,353 times
I alway value and appreciate it when my art finds a home and that my work gives buyers joy. I also buy art to support artists if their work speaks to me irrespective of their personal circumstances.
It’s getting harder to justify new purchases as we have downsized tremendously but we did buy a wonderful functional piece of art in Cave Creek by a well known southwestern artist, Allen Nysse.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:48 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Funny, just last night I was looking at b&w sketches by Hugo Guinness, they are very simple but nice line drawings that I'm considering how to duplicate on my own since my budget doesn't include original artwork right now. I've also bought some "folk" art on travels that remind me of places/times from my past.

I wish I had any artistic talent to create a painting.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:26 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
I did collect art when we had more money, not now on SS. My favorite is by Tomaz Rutt. I also have some of the works of my father.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
I do not own any pictures that would be considered of any worth. Just something to put on the walls so they aren't just plain white.

But I know when I see a picture that I like, it usually just "hits" me..... how beautiful l think it is. I really enjoy looking at portraits. I like to study their faces and try to decide "who" they are, etc.

If I should ever come into money, it would be fun to shop for paintings.
I've never had a taste for what is called modern art.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:48 AM

10,359 posts, read 7,990,783 times
I have purchase some original art, but have no expectation that it will ever be worth anything. I just enjoy looking at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement