Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,379,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I think this is largely a female thing. I know my wife and most of her women friends seem to tote water bottles everywhere. I don't. I guess I need to get a man purse so I have a convenient way to carry water bottles.
My husband and I (ages 68 & 71) go nowhere without water bottles. Proper hydration cures a lot of ills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,009,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't think anyone is losing their minds. Some people just don't realize they are paying more for water than gasoline they put in their cars thinking they are buying something better, purer than faucet water when they are not. It's just a reality check.
You don't think anyone is losing their mind?

In a few posts the focus of the thread changed from bottled water to we-don't-go-shopping to Starbucks coffee to (now) gasoline.

I realize oldsters like to get together on Sunday mornings and diss those ignorant youngsters who are just throwing money away but it would help if you had some actual facts on your side.

DASANI is a popular water brand. Says Coca-Cola, To create DASANI® water, we start with the local water supply, which is then filtered for purity using a state-of-the-art process called reverse osmosis. Afterwards, we add a special blend of minerals for that pure, crisp, fresh taste.

This idea that taking city water and filtering it means it's no better than tap water is hilarious, almost like you think Coca-Cola ought to be making bottled water the old-fashioned way, by combining hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:19 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,104,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
We've been on several travel tours in the last couple of years. Everyone on these tours is at least age 60, and the prime age group is 65-75. They all carry water bottles and drink water constantly. Lots of talk of "staying hydrated."
As someone that has had episodes of A-Fib, my cardiologist constantly reminds me of my need to stay hydrated. And living in a very hot humid area it’s wise if you are going to be out there walking for awhile to carry water. I fill my with tap water and carry it with me on my daily 5 mile walk. But as someone said earlier really don’t care if people do or not and my carrying it is for my own good.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:36 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,076,913 times
It's a little bit obsessive. The poster who likened it to having your sippy cup or bottle all the time hit the mark. I can understand carrying water on a 5 mile walk but not that many people walk 5 miles. They carry the bottle into a 1 hour church service. As if they will die of dehydration if they don't drink water for an hour?

Old 12-09-2018, 08:41 AM

14,378 posts, read 11,783,157 times
I rarely carry water with me (I don't even take water with me on my long bike rides; I know where I can stop to get water if I need it), but my 80-year-old mother-in-law is never without her plastic water bottle. So I don't think it's fair to pin this one on the "young people."

Old 12-09-2018, 08:45 AM

6,313 posts, read 4,219,804 times
We live in Pheonix. We fill our own bottles with filtered water and take water everywhere. Many places no longer provide water fountains . There is no way I’m ever going to trust or rely on tap water. There is no way I’d be without a water bottle , especially during the hot months.

I’m with fluffy, not sure why it bothers or irritates anyone.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:46 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,659,250 times
Thirst is a side effect of many of the psychotropic and other prescription drugs everyone [hyperbole], their child, and dog are prescribed.

It is also a peer-group induced affectation.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:48 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,125,705 times
After a severe bout with kidney stones, you can bet I carry water and drink it throughout the day. We've discovered a few side benefits from regular hydration, too, including weight loss. I also drink several cups of tea every night, and as a result I've stopped getting colds every winter.

I use my own bottle and refill it, mostly because I can make sure I'm getting my daily amount that way (and as pointed out already, it's a lot less expensive).

One thing that's different from the 80s is it isn't an accessory I carry with me everywhere. I mostly keep it in my car. At first, after the surgery, I carried it around a lot. But it didn't take long to realize it's not necessary, and also kind of annoying to carry it around, plus I don't really want to have to look for a bathroom everywhere I go. If I wait until I get back to the car I usually have enough time to get home or to some other place where I feel comfortable using the rest room (like the rec center) before I have to pee. Also, I don't waste money on bottled water, especially because those little bottles are too small. I'd go through several a day, that's not for me.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 12-09-2018 at 08:56 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 08:57 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,926,013 times
I stopped drinking water from ANY faucet in the mid-80's.

I carry a bottle of water when I go somewhere because sometimes too much stress makes my throat dry and start to constrict --- especially!when I am in the waiting room while DH is having tests done.

Soooo --- if you naysayers see me sitting in the waiting room with a bottle of water, best to keep your unpleasant thoughts to yourself unless you are fully prepared to debate "water bottle vs. no water bottle" in full view of the rest of the waiting room------

I think it's picayune the matter is a thread in the first place----

Old 12-09-2018, 09:01 AM

6,313 posts, read 4,219,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
After a severe bout with kidney stones, you can bet I carry water and drink it throughout the day. We've discovered a few side benefits from regular hydration, too, including weight loss. I also drink several cups of tea every night, and as a result I've stopped getting colds every winter.

I use my own bottle and refill it, mostly because I can make sure I'm getting my daily amount that way (and as pointed out already, it's a lot less expensive).

One thing that's different from the 80s is it isn't an accessory I carry with me everywhere. I mostly keep it in my car,. At first, after the surgery, I carried it around a lot. But it didn't take long to realize it's not necessary, and also kind of annoying to carry it around, plus I don't really want to have to look for a bathroom everywhere I go. If I wait until I get back to the car I usually have enough time to get home or to some other place where I feel comfortable using the rest room (like the rec center) before I have to pee.

During the summer we made the mistake of leaving our water bottles in the car. By the time we got back we could have tossed a teabag in the bottle and made a cup of tea the water was so hot My oncologist is constantly stressing the need to keep hydrated and especially in the summer. I’ve heard kidney stones are brutally painful so I can understand the importance of drinking plenty of water.

I have had two bouts of dehydration in my life, one being borderline dangerous. It’s not something to take lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement