Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 02:29 PM

705 posts, read 561,932 times

Advertisements

This thing of toting bottled water everywhere...do you remember anyone doing that 30 years ago?

I am one of those takes a bottle of water with me everywhere I go. Why? Because my mouth gets dry and I sip on it (medication). Years ago I carried ice and water in a Tupperware tall pastel tumbler with a lid with me everywhere I went, I still have tumblers but lost my lids.

My husband and I drink water with meals and between meals, no soft drinks. He has coffee in the morning and I have a cup of dandelion tea but other than that, we drink water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 02:38 PM

1,304 posts, read 854,787 times
Maybe it's just a Pacific NW thing, but yes, I remember people carrying water bottles AND backpacks here 30 years ago. I got into the Nestle's small plastic water bottle thing for a couple of years, before the guilt overwhelmed me. They were so darned convenient! Grab one for the car, to take to bed, etc. Now I just keep a pitcher of tap water in the fridge and fill up from it....water here is good, so really not a big deal. Also gave up the backpack as I got older.....was not good for my back to be lugging that sucker around all day! And being the land of Starbucks, I do sometimes indulge in a latte....but try to keep it to once a week and make my own (Seattle's Best) at home. Ok, now you know all my guilty secrets!

Old 12-09-2018, 02:44 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
30 years ago it wasnt water, it was soda.
Then news came soda and its sugar was bad for you.

People also drank tap water. Drinking fountains every where.
Then news came tap water was bad for you, unless filtered. That it was full of pollutants we as humans put there.

Thusly, with tap water fountains out of commission, and soda "bad for you", the bottled water craze was born.

What many people dont realize is that the "healthy bottled water " was bottled by some municipal supplier, although it was reverse osmosis'ed first.

Thats how it came about. You're often hard pressed to find a general drinking fountain anywhere and everywhere now.

Ah. The good old days....

Old 12-09-2018, 02:55 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Since moving to Arizona, I have been drinking a lot more water, both filtered at home and bottled. The water here,unfiltered, tastes horrible. Even filtered I add lemon slices, which I freeze in lieu of ice cubes. There are warnings about remaining hydrated here in the desert.
As I've aged, the high desert climate seems to be taking a greater toll on my skin and hydration levels. Temperatures in the southwest are also higher than they were in the 1970s and 1980s. My skin is drier and I get thirstier - and I am not diabetic. I fill a water bottle with filtered tap water and carry it with me if I'm going to be away from the house for an hour or more. Also keep a pitcher of filtered tap water in the refrigerator.

A few years ago I was experiencing lightheadedness sometimes to the point of feeling that I was going to faint, especially in the summer or if I was on business travel. My doctor questioned whether I was drinking enough water and once I increased my consumption the lightheadedness went away. While in airports and on planes, I was not drinking much so I would not have to go to the restroom so often. I buy bottled water in airports after going through security but reuse the plastic bottle as much as possible during the trip and when I return home.

In Las Cruces which is almost as hot as Tucson, there have been tourists who took 2-3 mile hikes in the summer without sufficient water and were later found dead near the trail.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 12-09-2018 at 03:37 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 03:05 PM

672 posts, read 442,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
We need to go back to toting a silver flask of good whiskey.
Who says we dont?

Old 12-09-2018, 04:08 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
I toted a bicycle water bottle in my vehicle.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:13 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
As I've aged, the high desert climate seems to be taking a greater toll on my skin and hydration levels. <snip>In Las Cruces which is almost as hot as Tucson, there have been tourists who took 2-3 mile hikes in the summer without sufficient water and were later found dead near the trail.
That's scary. I've learned to be more careful about hydration since having two bad attacks of it over a one-year period, but one was on a 35-mile bike ride and one was in India even though I'd been careful about drinking water, so both were a bit unusual. After that I got a supply of packets of rehydration powder, which the guide in India gave me (you put it in a bottle of water)- miraculous stuff and now I take it before long rides. I think part of the problem was that I was replacing fluids but not electrolytes.

I really try to avoid disposable plastic bottles, though, and have to laugh when I see people heading into a half-hour workout clutching bottles of water as if they'd die without them.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:02 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
Someone else mentioned this but I remember drinking fountains used to be everywhere. Seems like there aren't many around anymore. Plus I think it was back in the 90's when the 'expert' advice started coming out that said we need to drink 64oz plain water per day.

When I was a kid we drank out of the water hose. Once in a while, one of the moms would make Kool Ade or lemonade. We were pretty rural so no where to go for a soda. And I can't recall seeing a lot of soda in anyone's fridge. I know we never had it at home. A soda was a real treat!

Old 12-09-2018, 05:18 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I really try to avoid disposable plastic bottles, though, and have to laugh when I see people heading into a half-hour workout clutching bottles of water as if they'd die without them.

I wonder why you think that's funny.

I overheat really easily and usually drink a 16 oz bottle during a half-hour session.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:19 PM

672 posts, read 442,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
We need to go back to toting a silver flask of good whiskey.
Who says we dont?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement