Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 01:39 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,408,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
What I don't get is why other people's water consumption is something to concern oneself with. Our health knowledge has definitely improved over the last 30 years and so people are trying to be healthy and drink something other than coffee, sodas, kool-aid, or other sugar laden beverages, in order to keep oneself healthy. It has nothing to do with status or fashion, or whatever you think. It's because people want water, they're thirsty, and there's no guarantee that there will be clean water, or a way to carry it, where you might be going. If there is a fountain, that's nice but I need more than a sip, and those fountains and their handles are a great way to spread colds and other viruses. Of course we drank out of the hose when we were kids, and now we know better. I used to eat fruit and vegetables without thoroughly washing it too, but now I know better, right? Our knowledge changes, and so our habits change.
Do you know where all those disposable bottles, straws, shopping bags, etc. end up? If it was just drinking water itself, I wouldn't care what others do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 01:43 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
It's a little bit obsessive. The poster who likened it to having your sippy cup or bottle all the time hit the mark. I can understand carrying water on a 5 mile walk but not that many people walk 5 miles. They carry the bottle into a 1 hour church service. As if they will die of dehydration if they don't drink water for an hour?
I carry my bottle of water to church service.

I have started developing a dry throat, cough or something due to medication. I have to take a sip of water or I will be coughing and gagging for a while.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:48 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Do you know where all those disposable bottles, straws, shopping bags, etc. end up? If it was just drinking water itself, I wouldn't care what others do.

Can we look at everything you do, use and wear in your day-to-day life? Being a Californian, I'm sure I can find something objectionable.

Or... We could all just live and let live.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:53 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Can we look at everything you do, use and wear in your day-to-day life? Being a Californian, I'm sure I can find something objectionable.

Or... We could all just live and let live.
yea - back to my time in Sicily - 1980s. If you bought something it went into a plastic bag. I loved them. We were still using paper bags in the states. I would think - gee why don't we use these neat plastic bags in the US?

Look at the controversy now.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:58 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
My husband and I (ages 68 & 71) go nowhere without water bottles. Proper hydration cures a lot of ills.
Nonsense as far as I am concerned. I am 72 and just finished 4 months of travel and hiking in National Parks. I often went out for hours at a time and only carried water once or twice for longer trips or when the temps were high. I cannot think of a single disease "cured" by frequent drinking except for maybe some sort of issue with kidney stone. I have never had a kidney stone. I don't need a constant sippy cup just to walk around during the day. Under normal circumstances or light exercise drinking every few hours seems to work for me.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:00 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,992 times
We need to go back to toting a silver flask of good whiskey.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Since moving to Arizona, I have been drinking a lot more water, both filtered at home and bottled. The water here,unfiltered, tastes horrible. Even filtered I add lemon slices, which I freeze in lieu of ice cubes. There are warnings about remaining hydrated here in the desert.
How often are you out hiking in the desert heat for a few hours?

Old 12-09-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
How many straws would it take to make ONE plastic water bottle?

That eliminate straws campaign has been ridiculous to the point it almost seems like a paper straw manufacturer got the campaign going.......hmmmmm.
I also fail to understand the hype about straws. I understand the main issue is the plastic straws in the ocean. Certainly it makes sense to avoid contaminating our oceans with plastic materials of any sort, but I have to ask how are all of those straws ending up in the ocean? Few of us have ocean going boats where we sip through a straw and then throw it in the water. No, straws end up in the ocean because of defective waste disposal systems that contaminate the water. We should fix that issue.

Last edited by jrkliny; 12-09-2018 at 02:16 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 02:14 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
These days, it seems like most younger folks are toting around water bottles and drinking water *all* the time. Is it really improving our health? I have my doubts.

In the early 1990s, I had a family member who carried a bottle of water everywhere and was always sipping on that water. He was also in the bathroom every 30 minutes (for obvious reasons). We thought it was pretty weird that this healthy 30-something guy was constantly drinking water.

Now it seems like the norm.

When did Americans decide that we must have bottled water with us at all times? Is it really improving our health and/or our longevity? It seems like a very curious habit to me (but then again, I'm old).
I've noticed the same thing with backpacks. Folks can't walk across the street without a backpack. Maybe its the same folks carrying water bottles and they have extra bottles in the backpack.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:21 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Nonsense as far as I am concerned. I am 72 and just finished 4 months of travel and hiking in National Parks. I often went out for hours at a time and only carried water once or twice for longer trips or when the temps were high. I cannot think of a single disease "cured" by frequent drinking except for maybe some sort of issue with kidney stone. I have never had a kidney stone. I don't need a constant sippy cup just to walk around during the day. Under normal circumstances or light exercise drinking every few hours seems to work for me.
I also drink if and when I'm thirsty and I'm quite healthy. I have no need to constantly take sips of water every few minutes from a bottle either. I wonder sometimes if people that do this have developed a habit or if they have some type of medical issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement