Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 09:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times

Advertisements

I recently asked some young friends I know why they're supposed to drink 48 ounces of water every day. They had shown me their fitbit apps and how many steps they'd walked, and then it also showed how they should drink this much.

I said I don't understand why we're supposed to gag down way more water than our bodies are asking for every day. For instance, you can't force your cats or dogs or even horses or pigs or cows, etc. to drink more than their bodies are telling them they need. When they are thirsty, they drink. When they aren't they don't.

So, why are we supposed to force down so much more water than our bodies are telling us we need?

The only thing I can come up with is that it makes us full so we eat less - which could be beneficial if you're trying to lose weight.

But, I also had a friend recently tell me that her father had kidney problems and his doctors told him to stop drinking so much, because it was making his kidneys work harder than they should have to.

So, I really question this whole thing about drinking so much water. I think it's good to have healthy water on hand for when you are thirsty, but I don't agree with some crazy minimum amount of water you're supposed to drink every day, that is just way beyond what your body would normally crave.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 12-09-2018 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 09:24 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’ve always heard, by the time you’re thirsty, you’re pretty dehydrated. I bought myself a stainless bottle with a pull open top. I e cubes fit easily, and it keeps the water really cold. We have excellent tap water.
Maybe it depends on your medical condition. I've never had a problem with my body telling me I need to drink. I've lived in the desert SW for 50 years. I drink a lot more in the summer than I do in the winter because I'm much thirstier in the summer due to the heat. I work outdoors even when it's 110 degrees. I've never gotten dehydrated and I drink when my body tells me I'm thirsty. I don't have a formula for drinking so many gallons or pints of water per day nor do I sip water every few minutes. I'm thirsty I drink. I'm hungry I eat. I've never had any major health problems, not even high blood pressure.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Maybe it depends on your medical condition. I've never had a problem with my body telling me I need to drink. I've lived in the desert SW for 50 years. I drink a lot more in the summer than I do in the winter because I'm much thirstier in the summer due to the heat. I work outdoors even when it's 110 degrees. I've never gotten dehydrated and I drink when my body tells me I'm thirsty. I don't have a formula for drinking so many gallons or pints of water per day nor do I sip water every few minutes. I'm thirsty I drink. I'm hungry I eat. I've never had any major health problems, not even high blood pressure.
Some people might not know when they are dehydrated. This is why I take water with me. I read a few years back a well known woman in the movie industry went out for a hike in a hot day, she’s 62, not to old. They found her dead later on. She’s probably too confident that she didn’t need water. Who knows what heat could do to you. We are more fragile as we age.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 12-09-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 09:36 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Some people might not know when they are dehydrated. This is why I take water with me. I read a few years back a well known woman in the movie industry went out for a hike in a hot day, she’s 62, not to old. They found her dead later on. She’s probably too confident that she didn’t need water. Who knows what heat could do to you. Are more fragile as we age.
Yes, but I don't think you lose your ability to be thirsty when you are in heat or your body needs water. People like her probably don't realize how fast your body loses water outside on a hot day. I'm sure she was confident she wasn't going to get thirsty on her hike. She was wrong. That doesn't mean she needed to sip water off and on all day. Going hiking without water is very foolish.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
The only situation I can think of where someone doesn't realize they are thirsty, is when you have dementia.

And sometimes, a person can be so into a project that they don't want to take time to go find a drink even if they're thirsty. I try to always have a glass or bottle of water handy, for when I'm thirsty. But, that's just so that when my body says I'm thirsty, I can easily grab a drink.

But, I still don't understand this obsession to drink so darn much every day. I just think in terms of my dog. She drinks when she's thirsty, and she just doesn't drink that much, since I feed her a moist diet (raw food, mostly).

It's just not logical that humans need so much more water than other creatures who aren't distracted by work and kids, etc. They run on pure natural needs. They are very aware of when they are thirsty and need to drink. And they just don't drink the amounts we are told we need as humans. So, I just don't think it makes sense.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:59 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This is my first time hearing this theory. Where did you hear or read about this in the past?
My mom said it. All the time.

Now, I had a habit of simply not drinking enough. I just don’t. And it caused frequent UTIs. This is about the time I stop, when it’s cold, and in late January, I’m at the Doctor’s. I’ve learned to stop, and down a glass of water. To think about it.

Haven’t had a UTI in years. But, Mom was right.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:29 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile Bottled water

30 years ago, I did this. Always had a big purse but always bought Evian water and still have a 6 pack under my desk. I drink about 4 bottles a day - still do.

Other than my own office, I didn't really carry it around but it's one of my healthy habits (few as they are).

Old 12-10-2018, 12:06 AM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The only situation I can think of where someone doesn't realize they are thirsty, is when you have dementia.
Someone suffering from heat related illness (heat exhaustion or heat stroke) often doesn't feel thirst. Quite often the opposite as another common sign of heat illness is nausea.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:21 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,117,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This is my first time hearing this theory. Where did you hear or read about this in the past?

FWIW it's worth, I typed "By the time you're thirsty you're dehydrated" into Google and received several pages of links. Didn't look at all of them, but the first several seem to be from medical centers and other respected medical sources.

https://www.bcm.edu/news/sports-medi...ady-dehydrated

https://healthcare.utah.edu/the-scop...ows=0_rry1htrr

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...oper-hydration

Old 12-10-2018, 05:38 AM

221 posts, read 192,972 times
In hand carrying of liquids was not faddish in the '80s. Ultra marathon faze during this decade had me carry fluid in bicycle H20 bottle. Keeping hands free, wore speedo swim suit under running togs. Water weight acceptance was accommodated by use of the draw string, keeping the thing tight and the bottle tight, against my back. This offered some hydration, not nearly as much as necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement