Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 05:55 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Some people just seem to be hostile whenever they hear something they disagree with. I hope you are not one of those people.

You can drink water until it comes out your ears if that is your choice. Personally I am interested in the topic because I just don't understand the issues. It seems some people have a believe that drinking lots of water is healthy. I can find opinions but no studies to support that idea. If it is a matter of feeling thirsty that does not seem to match my observations. I take a lot of classes with other seniors. I substantial percentage of the attendees bring in water bottles and sip from them every few minutes. I just don't understand. Maybe I have some defect because I can go for hours without becoming thirsty. When I do become thirsty I generally drink the equivalent of a bottle or two and have no more thirst for many hours.

Nobody can know or dictate what feels healthy to you but neither can you determine what is right and healthy for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 06:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Even thirty years ago, my in-laws, who lived in Denver, always had drinking water stashed in their car because it's exceptionally dry in Colorado. Today, my spouse and I also live in Denver, and, yes, we most always have water with us. I drink water all day long. It's the only beverage I consume other than a cup of tea in the morning. When I know I'll be out and about, I carry a Klean Kanteen and refill it with tap water when necessary.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:43 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Nobody can know or dictate what feels healthy to you but neither can you determine what is right and healthy for others.
Yes you can. Healthy is objectively ascertainable based in empirical data. Cancer and hepatitis and sciatica are never "right and healthy for others".

Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Yes you can. Healthy is objectively ascertainable based in empirical data. Cancer and hepatitis and sciatica are never "right and healthy for others".
We are talking about water and people’s Individual needs, not major deseases

Old 12-10-2018, 07:03 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,024,577 times
I was a kid 30 years ago and I remember many instances of being incredibly thirsty and no water fountains around. Many fast food stores in malls and movie theaters couldn't even give you a cup of water bc the cups got audited. 7-11 charged the same whether you filled the cup with water or pop. Some stores asked for a dime and my mom always refused which I found cruel bc I was thirsty.
So....I'm ecstatic that water is so ubiquitous now, whether it's a bottle or reusable cup.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:10 PM

Water can be readily accessible to you in your home, workplace or car. How long do you ever go without being in one of those places, to rehydrate? You can keep drinking water in your car, you don't need any during your half hour in the supermarket.

And yes, carrying something around IS an inconvenience, compared to going enpty-handed or without being burdened with luggage.

Devout Muslims, during the holy month or Ramadan, drink no water during the 12 daylight hours, despite the hot desert climate. And have no medical issues whatsoever.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
We are talking about water and people’s Individual needs, not major deseases
It is not an individual need, but an individual preference. Every normal human is capable of imbibing sufficient water in two or three rehydrations a day, and a very rare person (I doubt if you are one of them) has a medical "individual need" for more.

If you carry a water bottle to shop for groceries, fine, but when I see you, I will say you have imposed an irrational and copy-cat affectation on yourself. This topic shows that i am not alone, and You are responsible for your public image and have to live with it.

Last edited by cebuan; 12-10-2018 at 07:32 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
It is not an individual need, but an individual preference. Every normal human is capable of imbibing sufficient water in two or three rehydrations a day, and a very rare person (I doubt if you are one of them) has a medical "individual need" for more.

If you carry a water bottle to shop for groceries, fine, but when I see you, I will say you have imposed an affectation on yourself. This topic shows that i am not alone, and You are responsible for your public image and have to live with it.
You are not in a position to dictate how much water a person needs, or whether it’s a preference, unless you have some magic crystal ball

Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
Quote:
Believe it or not there are scientific approaches to determine what is healthy. Most of us have bodies that are physiologically similar in the absence of some disease or other serious abnormality.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:45 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
I think Lewis Black explained it best......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9NgP5WP7bE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement