Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 07:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Apparently. You won't have to wait long for the next thread on "young" people stupidly spending money on:

The latest iPhone
Starbucks coffee
Trendy foods like avocado toast
Car payments when they could have just as easily gotten a 2005 Pontiac Aztek for cash
Eating out with friends
Credit card interest
Bar hopping
$150 sneakers
Gym memberships
Cable

Some things are as predictable as sunrise.
Pontiac Aztek!!

Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Water is the closest thing to a neutral pH you can drink.

Anything else is deviating farther acidic or alkaline and is bad for your teeth.

Ideally, most of what you drink should be water, but not necessarily all.

With humans living into their 90's and above, I'd hate to just assume there would be nothing we can do about prolonging tooth life beyond basic brushing and flossing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 09:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Someone suffering from heat related illness (heat exhaustion or heat stroke) often doesn't feel thirst. Quite often the opposite as another common sign of heat illness is nausea.
But, this doesn't explain this weird new obsession regarding people supposedly needing to drink basically all day long, regardless of the weather.

Again, we can't force our animals to drink all day long. But, we make sure they have access to water, of course. But, they only drink when they are thirsty.

So, according to your theory, we are dumber than animals as far as knowing when we're thirsty?

I mean, sure, there can be the rare occasion, but have you ever heard of a horse dying of dehydration, who had access to water? Why would that happen to humans, who have complete control over where and when they get water, and can even put ice cubes in it?

It's just not logical to me. I don't get it.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:53 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I live in a place where the humidity has been as low as 4% — that I have witnessed. I’ve seen it in single digits often enough. You learn to carry a water bottle or have one in the car. In the olden days people would plan their days to avoid the heat and intense sunlight. We can’t do that now (for whatever reason) so we stay hydrated.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
I'll put in a vote for carrying around bottled water. For a long time I was having problems with leg cramping overnight. Then I spent a week in a hospital for unrelated issues. I noticed that once I was past ER (where they found me to be dehydrated and fixed that) one of the first things they did was to hand me a pitcher with ice water and a straw. And each and every hospital worker checked to make sure I had plenty of ice water.

Despite having had issues with cramping in bed, I didn't have any in the hospital. So I concluded that dehydration was contributing to my leg cramping. I've been more diligent about drinking water during the day, and so far my leg cramps haven't yet become the problem they used to be.

(I also live in SoCal which is a semi-arid climate. But the hospital was in southern Montana which, AFAIK, isn't.)

Old 12-11-2018, 10:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Is this to be expected once you retire to complain about what 'young' people are doing these days?
Some do, sure. But probably no more than many young people who complain about what old people do. There's plenty of that to go around as well. If you hang out on this CD retirement forum long enough, you'll eventually even find a few of them here.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:58 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'll put in a vote for carrying around bottled water. For a long time I was having problems with leg cramping overnight. Then I spent a week in a hospital for unrelated issues. I noticed that once I was past ER (where they found me to be dehydrated and fixed that) one of the first things they did was to hand me a pitcher with ice water and a straw. And each and every hospital worker checked to make sure I had plenty of ice water.

Despite having had issues with cramping in bed, I didn't have any in the hospital. So I concluded that dehydration was contributing to my leg cramping. I've been more diligent about drinking water during the day, and so far my leg cramps haven't yet become the problem they used to be.

(I also live in SoCal which is a semi-arid climate. But the hospital was in southern Montana which, AFAIK, isn't.)
I also suffer severe muscle spasms and cramps if I don’t drink enough water.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Pontiac Aztek!!

Just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:28 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Were our parents less healthy due to less water? Hmmm...
Virtually everyones parents of my age group (60-65) were most definitely less healthy, and looked it and I do think most of it was from not drinking enough water and drinking a lot more of everything else not really good for them. Todays 65 year old women typically look 10 plus years younger than their mothers at the same age, especially when it comes to wrinkles and complexion. When I was a kid, and even today, I never understood the obsession with coffee. Grownups were always getting together to “have a cup of coffee”. My mother drank probably a gallon a day of the stuff. When I was a small kid, every house I ever visted, there was ALWAYS a pot of coffee brewing. When I started working, the older workers drank cup after cup, all day. My deceased MIL drank at least a 2 liter bottle of Tab every day. She hated water. Whether societal, advertising, education or ignorance, I know not for sure. I personally drink mostly from insulated SS during the day. I should drink more water (gout) but the constant bathroom breaks are annoying enough already. DW drinks a lot of bottled water. She does have some stomach issues, so tap is out most of the time. Filtered water is the norm in the house. Last house I installed an RO system, this house, just a charcoal filter for now.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:56 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
......Filtered water is the norm in the house. Last house I installed an RO system, this house, just a charcoal filter for now.

I am lucky enough to live in an area with excellent municipal water from deep wells. Even so we have a whole house sediment filter. I usually drink water from the refrigerator dispenser that passes through a charcoal filter.

I just spent 4 months traveling in my RV. Before starting a trip, I sanitize my RV water tank with a Clorox soak. Unfortunately some of the water I get at campgrounds is none too tasty. Some is soft; some hard. Sometimes the water even has a sulfur odor. I filter all my drinking water through a Brita filter and the final taste is bland and very acceptable. Six replacement filters cost about $20 and will last for close to a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement