Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM

15,259 posts, read 13,102,691 times

Advertisements

Avoiding people whose favorite pastime is playing the victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 10:33 AM

245 posts, read 154,187 times
No longer having to put up with @#$holes.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:40 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,077,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that everyone wants to be as healthy and live as independently as possible, have financial security, and have as little stress as possible, so leaving those things aside, what else is very important -- or do you think will be very important-- to you in retirement?
The only absolute MUST I can think of is Privacy, which includes not ever having to live in any sort of "attached" housing (apartment, condo, townhouse, senior living quarters/retirement home, etc.) I couldn't stand having other people on the other side of "my" walls/ceiling/floor etc. or in the same building no matter how 'soundproof' the construction may be.

I'd rather have the tiniest house in the world, on the tiniest lot, as long as it is physically separate and on its own, than the most luxurious 'attached' living space if that were given to me for free. It's a sanity-preserving thing, LOL.

There are things I prefer but are flexible on, out of necessity. But that's the one most critical point, with the caveat that I would never consider moving to any other part of the country. That's a written in stone 'given.'

Old 12-12-2018, 01:53 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,759,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Having lots of fun.

Amen to that.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,156,344 times
Trying to survive without too much pain and suffering until I die.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:57 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,028,497 times
No more goals.

The rest is whatever I find interesting to do. Not planning to plan anything.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,597,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
No more goals.

The rest is whatever I find interesting to do. Not planning to plan anything.
This exactly. No goals in retirement.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:13 PM

7,178 posts, read 12,767,042 times
Joy.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:17 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,102,245 times
Now there's a million dollar question. At age 61 and unmarried, I went through a bit of a "health crisis" that finally tipped me into retirement (a ruptured disc, after surgery, the Doc said "Your back is a mess" on our last visit). So I've spent the first six months of retirement trying to get healthy, lose weight, and increase my fitness level, which is "in process". In addition, I have an Aunt who entered a nursing home, so I've been managing her horde, and got her home ready for sale (we closed a couple of weeks ago, whew!).

So, your question is very timely, I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do yet. I've still got two good friends in the area, a sister in a neighboring state, and the Aunt in a local nursing home - my plan was to sell my own home and relocate after retirement, but with the current ties, am not sure on the timing anymore. So, I guess I'll start getting my own home ready for sale (it's going to be a lot of work, lots of "stuff" to sell), and then figure out what to do with my life's last chapter(s).

I do need to get my financial affairs in order (create an income stream and organize investments into a long-term plan, including a trust). It sure wouldn't bother me to get a new motorcycle, but I wanted to do that at my retirement location to keep moving issues to a minimum. I imagine I'll try a bunch of stuff from a "volunteer" standpoint; I went to a small community theater to see a play recently, and that's something I'd like to try my hand at, maybe I'll be the next Dennis Farina. Or not. Bottom line, I'm going to try some different stuff, and find something I'm good at and enjoy. I don't have to worry about making money, but it would be nice if whatever I get involved in doesn't cost an arm and a leg, either. Maybe get a part-time gig applying sun tan lotion to the Tropicana Girls or something. There's always "politics", I guess, maybe I could offer some value to whatever town I end up at, maybe as a consultant to their planning commission or something, I know a few things about construction and infrastructure. To be honest, between naps, two pit bulls, health club visits, meals, etc., I don't know how in the heck I ever found time to work for over three decades. I really miss just miss having a group of friends nearby, as I had when I was young, for card games, playing darts, bowling, bar hopping, etc., I guess I just miss being young.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:27 AM

37,834 posts, read 46,419,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that everyone wants to be as healthy and live as independently as possible, have financial security, and have as little stress as possible, so leaving those things aside, what else is very important -- or do you think will be very important-- to you in retirement?

I don't want to limit the answers in any way, but here are some suggestions that are important to some people (feel free to add your own):

- Family/Friends
- Living with a Spouse, Life Partner, Roommate/Best Friend, or Close Family Member
- Continuing to Work (paid job or volunteer)
- Creative Pursuits or Hobbies (be specific, please)
- Religion/Spirituality
- Mental Stimulation
- Physical Exercise (walking/hiking, going to the gym, golf, or whatever)
- Travel
- Pets and/or animals in general

(Please list as many as apply to you.)
This is a duplicate thread - did you forget you already posted the other one??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement