Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 02:43 PM

290 posts, read 251,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Best: Choosing a retirement we could afford in South America.

Along with that, living below our means prior to retirement, by living in a mobile home rather than build that dream home; which was a 10-yr. blow to my ego, but I survived. Ending up with no debt or mortgage.

This seems like a fascinating story. Have you told the details anywhere here? (Sorry, new around here)

To answer the OPs question:

1. As posted above by Blondebaerde, buying our house when there's "blood in the streets".
2. Paying said house on the shortest loan period we could manage.
3. Maxing (to the extent possible) IRA/401K etc. contributions for decades.
4. Living waaaay below our means* for most of our first decade of marriage to get a head start.
5. Spending extra years getting our degrees so we could pay for them with no debt.

*We lived like the extreme FIRE people for a decade, only it was to pay for school and to invest -- not to retire early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 02:56 PM

386 posts, read 328,040 times
Avoid form, choose function. This includes relationships. Choose to develop relationships with solution minded people. Hang out with creative and problem solving people who are not swayed by trends, popularity, or things that sparkle.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times
Picking a good spouse who is financially savvy and prudent with money.

Always and without fail (for the 14 years I have had a job) paying myself first and never touching it.

Building and selling a company.

The last 2 really touch on the importance of passive income.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:03 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,031,037 times
Resisting job hopping always dreaming of some nirvana earning situation. Sticking with stable jobs that had good benefits and retirement plans even though they had temporary frustrating ups and downs for me personally.

Keeping the long term view with investments and not panicking over the knee jerk fiscal idiocies markets make from day to day. I might not be making top dollar percentages on them but I am not lying awake agonizing over risk either.

Buying the house that satisfies me, not the house that satisfies others.

Not chasing "miracle" schemes. There's no free lunch.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:07 PM

25,631 posts, read 17,368,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetwalia View Post
Hi,
This is a general question which I always wanted to ask for people who have retired or have enough to retire.

What was the best or worse financial decision you took in your life which eventually helped your retirement?

This is more like a lesson for someone like me who is looking as to what are few financial things needs to be done which will decide our retirement.

TIA
Designing and using the "Wedding Cake" financial model.

Long term investments form the bottom level and is equal to 10 years income.
Money market funds form the second level and are equal to 6 months income. Extra goes to Bottom level.

Monthly needs form the top layer and is equal to 1 month.

All our income (ALL!) has gone into money market funds (the 2nd level)
On the 1st, we transfer what we will need for that month to the checking accounts.
Long term investments like real estate and other investments have never been touched.

This system saved our bacon. When our income suffered because of employment difficulties and changes, our standard of living did not. When we got close to retirement we adjusted our monthly income to reflect what we would have after retirement.
Our retirement was seamless. We live off about 80% of cash flow. Retired in 2010.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:50 PM

37,506 posts, read 61,537,745 times
I have made some really smart financial decisions in my life.

One was to jump on a career that offers a 20-year pension, and then I had to force myself to stay with that horrible career. But I got the pension.

I married an accountant, she has been really good at managing our investments for me.

We have never had a mortgage on any house just for us. My salary income has never paid for any of our homes. Each home that we have had mortgages on have all been Multi-Family-Residences, where the rental income covered the mortgage, taxes, insurance, and repairs. Then when I retired, the money we made selling those properties rolled-over and paid for our retirement farm in full.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:51 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,069,335 times
Not buying a larger home in 2007.

Buying GE at $6.66 on 3/5/09.

Getting debt-free in 2011, right before my wife lost her job.

Not retiring at 60, finding myself loving my job.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:42 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,007,670 times
It's nice, hanging out with a bunch of smart people. Give yourselves a hand.

I don't think I've ever made any good financial decisions. I mean, I bought a condo and cleared $125k when I sold it 9 years later. But then, wanting to become my own boss, I sunk that money into an untested business model and lost it all. It was the dot-com era, when a lot of people did essentially the same thing.

If you intend to enter retirement as part of a couple, you must find someone who will have your back in every situation. Someone whose eyes light up when you enter a room. Someone who is an unabashed fan of YOU. I've spent 45 years as an adult trying to find that person. It never happened. But you must have this person because retirement is a crucible. Some marriages don't survive it, especially those built on lies and self-deception. Or the ones that endured over decades mostly because you only spent a few hours a day together.

Do better.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:46 PM

30,560 posts, read 19,295,080 times
There are some great stories and if I had to pick one for myself and wife, it would be getting educated to allow my career would be number one. Second would be investing in our (wife and I) 401K's. Third would be buying 3 houses in Phoenix area after the market crashed when people were panicked.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:49 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,916,144 times
The best thing I did was years ago when the market was down and I had left a job, was to covert my retirement account to a Roth IRA. It has been growing tax free ever sonxe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement