Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 09:17 PM

449 posts, read 195,699 times

Advertisements

"Your spouse is entitled to an amount equal to one-half of your full primary insurance amount (PIA). In order to receive this benefit, your spouse must be at least 62 years old or caring for your child entitled to receive benefits on your work record who is younger than 16 or disabled."

Would anyone know if this can be done off and on ? In other words, is my spouse able to receive benefits when she is not working, but once working we would cancel them. If she were to be unemployed once again, are we able to restart the spouse child care benefits again as long as all qualifications are still met?

I'm a bit confused as to whether benefits can once again be restarted. I talked to an agent at SS and they did not know the answer and thought spousal child care benefits were available only after I was deceased.

Thank you for your opinions and responses in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 01:38 AM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadinhi View Post
"Your spouse is entitled to an amount equal to one-half of your full primary insurance amount (PIA). In order to receive this benefit, your spouse must be at least 62 years old or caring for your child entitled to receive benefits on your work record who is younger than 16 or disabled."

Would anyone know if this can be done off and on ? In other words, is my spouse able to receive benefits when she is not working, but once working we would cancel them. If she were to be unemployed once again, are we able to restart the spouse child care benefits again as long as all qualifications are still met?

I'm a bit confused as to whether benefits can once again be restarted. I talked to an agent at SS and they did not know the answer and thought spousal child care benefits were available only after I was deceased.

Thank you for your opinions and responses in advance !

first off at 62 she does not get 1/2 ..there is a reduction if she files before her fra .

When you start receiving Social Security retirement benefits, some members of your family may also qualify to receive benefits on your record. If they qualify, your spouse or child may receive a monthly payment of UP TO one-half of your full retirement benefit amount. but the total is capped for the household.

the first question is does she have any work record of her own .? she has to file for her benefit first if she has any record at all qualifying her to collect , no matter how little . ..then any spousal she is due is added to her own benefit .

if she has no record then there is a chart that ss has which shows how much less then 1/2 you will get depending on your fra date .

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/quickcalc/earlyretire.html

only at fra can someone do a stop start . you can't turn it on pre fra ...you can only cancel it the first 12 months you file if under fra and withdraw but after that if you are under fra -no ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-05-2019 at 02:07 AM..

Old 04-05-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
first off at 62 she does not get 1/2 ..there is a reduction if she files before her fra .

When you start receiving Social Security retirement benefits, some members of your family may also qualify to receive benefits on your record. If they qualify, your spouse or child may receive a monthly payment of UP TO one-half of your full retirement benefit amount. but the total is capped for the household.

the first question is does she have any work record of her own .? she has to file for her benefit first if she has any record at all qualifying her to collect , no matter how little . ..then any spousal she is due is added to her own benefit .

if she has no record then there is a chart that ss has which shows how much less then 1/2 you will get depending on your fra date .

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/quickcalc/earlyretire.html

only at fra can someone do a stop start . you can't turn it on pre fra ...you can only cancel it the first 12 months you file if under fra and withdraw but after that if you are under fra -no ..

She does have some.... about 2 years of employment worth. She is much younger than myself, so if she files for her benefits now, would that essentially eliminate her benefits upon her own retirement due to the fact that she is some years away from FRA and the percentage penalties for doing so ?
If this is the case, is it better not to file for her benefits at all and not access the spousal child care benefits ?
She is an RN, and is planning to continue working in a new state we are planning on moving to.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with such an informative answer !

Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 AM

106,821 posts, read 109,073,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadinhi View Post
She does have some.... about 2 years of employment worth. She is much younger than myself, so if she files for her benefits now, would that essentially eliminate her benefits upon her own retirement due to the fact that she is some years away from FRA and the percentage penalties for doing so ?
If this is the case, is it better not to file for her benefits at all and not access the spousal child care benefits ?
She is an RN, and is planning to continue working in a new state we are planning on moving to.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with such an informative answer !
she needs about 40 quarters or 10 years to have her own benefit .... with two years she gets no benefit of her own .. if you filed she can get a reduced benefit at 62 off your record .. child care benefits have nothing to do with her ...they are based on you .

if she earns over the limit while working she may end up giving it back . she can only earn 17,640 and then she gives back one dollar for every 2 over that amount

Old 04-05-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
she needs about 40 quarters or 10 years to have her own benefit .... with two years she gets no benefit of her own .. if you filed she can get a reduced benefit at 62 off your record .. child care benefits have nothing to do with her ...they are based on you .

if she earns over the limit while working she may end up giving it back . she can only earn 17,640 and then she gives back one dollar for every 2 over that amount

If she were to obtain employment and would in my estimation eliminate the spousal child care benefit, but then say, becomes unemployed once again after 2 years, would she retain the benefit again to be redistributed because she no longer has that income ?
I don't see her having enough years of employment to surpass what she would receive from my work record even at 1/2 of the amount when she reaches her FRA.

Thank you mathjak107 for your knowledgeable responses !

Old 04-05-2019, 09:48 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,960,608 times

Last edited by funisart; 04-05-2019 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement