Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 07:31 AM

421 posts, read 394,141 times

Advertisements

I will be moving soon to a 55+ community in Arizona. I've thought it would be fun to just have a few hours a week (no more than 12) in a part-time position preferably right in the community. Wondering if these type of jobs come up frequently or because of the numbers of retirees these positions are few and far between as far as opportunities?

This is not a deal breaker, but just something I thought I would enjoy. I would even be amendable to volunteering instead. Just looking for something easy (basically no physical labor), with people contact. I taught office occupation skills for nearly 40+ years so I can even answer the phone and keyboard, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 08:12 AM

2,535 posts, read 2,800,794 times
I don't but I know several residents who work at the Fitness Center which is a paying position. Basically it's reception desk duties like phones and checking people in and out along with general monitoring of the lobby. We also have a volunteer organization which provides simple home maintenance tasks such as programming drip systems, changing light bulbs, furnace filters, lubing garage doors, faucet repair, and the like. That's purely volunteer and the resident using their services generally provides a small donation to the group to help fund their program. I don't know if any residents work in our restaurants but I do know that there are periodic golf course maintenance days which are all volunteers, fixing divots and that sort of thing. Additionally we have an all-volunteer security patrol. And of course we have lots of clubs and groups which need members and volunteers to run them. There may be more that I'm not aware of . . . check it out, you might find something you like. By the way, I'm in a Del Webb in Northern California so your mileage may vary.

Enjoy your new life!

Old 05-21-2019, 11:30 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,916,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I don't but I know several residents who work at the Fitness Center which is a paying position. Basically it's reception desk duties like phones and checking people in and out along with general monitoring of the lobby. We also have a volunteer organization which provides simple home maintenance tasks such as programming drip systems, changing light bulbs, furnace filters, lubing garage doors, faucet repair, and the like. That's purely volunteer and the resident using their services generally provides a small donation to the group to help fund their program. I don't know if any residents work in our restaurants but I do know that there are periodic golf course maintenance days which are all volunteers, fixing divots and that sort of thing. Additionally we have an all-volunteer security patrol. And of course we have lots of clubs and groups which need members and volunteers to run them. There may be more that I'm not aware of . . . check it out, you might find something you like. By the way, I'm in a Del Webb in Northern California so your mileage may vary.

Enjoy your new life!

Excellent answer. I'm also in a 55+ (former Del Webb) community and all of the above happens in our community. Several friends work in the Fitness Center (paid) and many (including me) volunteer in the community patrol, home maintenance, on association committees or club leadership. I suppose it depends a little how big your community is. Mine is 7000+ homes, 60 clubs, 13000 residents, so there are lots of opportunities for meaningful volunteer work and some paid jobs.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:20 PM

7,804 posts, read 6,432,529 times
In Sun City West AZ there were a number of residents that worked for the Rec Board. There were 4 Rec centers, 7 golf courses and a library.

There were a number of places to volunteer in the community and in the adjacent area. There were non-fire fighters that volunteered with the fire district.

I was a member of the Sheriff's Posse for 9 years. The majority of library staff were volunteers.

There were over 100 clubs, each with a different focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement