Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 01:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times

Advertisements

Perryinva has explained in a number of posts (some long) and in other threads his mixed feelings about his retirement and not working - feelings about retirement and working which many or most retirees do not share, and are individual to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 01:58 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
Congrats Perry. Enjoy your freedom!

Old 05-31-2019, 02:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Perryinva has explained in a number of posts (some long) and in other threads his mixed feelings about his retirement and not working - feelings about retirement and working which many or most retirees do not share, and are individual to him.
I wouldn't say "many or most," but I've noticed it's almost not socially acceptable to discuss retirement as anything short of a winning-the-lottery experience. Those of us who can see the downside may not say it.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:14 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Perry, congratulations! Enjoy your free time!

- To Matisse's point, IMHO you may find that the camaraderie about which you have spoken has the durability of a wet tissue. No denying we all need it while we have the cold (are expected at our desks). Comrades in arms, and all that. A real phenomenon, even in a work environment where the works speak for themselves and there's no need for a zero sum game.

After the time has passed, former camaraderie is not all that useful.

OK, I have tortured a metaphor beyond recognition here. Apologies. I did my best, lol!

Old 05-31-2019, 09:31 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Matisse12,

Even at this small CD retirement forum, there are a number of posters (myself included) who share mixed feelings about retirement. In my last workplace, I personally know at least 50 or so of retirees. Quite a few of them took a buyout then turned right back to work part time or as consultants. Some of them came back to work full time at another facility.

If I am to limit my scope to my former colleagues, MANY OR MOST of them share the same feelings which Perry, myself and other technical/professional engineers/scientists who derive a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment from their work.

The people who love their work may be a minority in the entire workforce. However, they can be a majority in certain professions.

I have enjoyed my retirement. However, if I had stayed working. I would still have a lot of fun and personal satisfaction.

Bottom line is that it is not an universal rule for people to hate their work or to prefer retirement over working.

Last edited by BellaDL; 05-31-2019 at 10:11 PM..

Old 05-31-2019, 10:00 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
Exactly.

At my department about a third continue in the same type of work on a reduced basis after retirement and lack of funds is not even on the radar as a reason. It is the people and satisfaction. There are systems running that I installed in 1986! Many of us have a lot of sweat and tears invested in designs that have saved customers and the company millions of dollars, reduced environmental impact, made jobs far easier for hundreds of employees. I was proud of the fact that designs and decisions I made more than paid my cost to my company many times over. I looked forward to the work most days but readily admit, the change in the business models and political reasons, has reduced the satisfaction factor enough to warrant walking away. 6 figure incentives to do that (again, part of the political reasons) while obviously benefiting me greatly personally, are a consequential part of what has changed over the last 30+ years there. I call it short sightedness, but they call it forward thinking.

When a few of the 20 in our department taking the package were talking in a group, a couple of seasoned, but still in their 40s in the same dept commented, “well, that’s the end of an era”. These guys have mostly been here since college graduation and we have always been fixtures there, as matter experts in our fields. Now THEY have to become the experts, and frankly, a lot of them do not want the responsibility. It is easier to digest when over the period of years, one and two guys a year leave. But 25% of the most experienced (and expensive) guys/gals all at once has a lot of ground people worried. We don’t like leaving them in a possible bad position but it is what it is.

Again, thank you all very much for the well wishes, it is appreciated. I know I will embrace my new found freedom and make the most out of it. The possibilities are almost endless.

Last edited by Perryinva; 05-31-2019 at 10:15 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post

Bottom line is that it is not an universal rule for people to hate their work or to prefer retirement over working.
Hating one's work? not even in the conversation! No reason for you to make such an exaggeration in trying to make a point. Why would you make the assumption or claim that people just love retirement because they 'hated their work'.

And I have never said "The people who love their work may be a minority in the entire workforce" nor would I ever make that claim.

Where you got this equation, which is not part of the conversation, is of your own making.

One can certainly have enjoyed their work and their career and the challenges of their profession, and still love retirement.

You're acting as if you are one of the only formally educated people in this forum and one of the only people in this forum (or even beyond this forum) who have advanced degrees. Some of us have advanced degrees so no need for you to try to educate me (or us) about 'special' professions and educate me (or us) about people who enjoyed their profession. (as I enjoyed my profession and many others have)

And you very obviously prefer retirement - or you would be working at something - or would have stayed working longer than you did. (or would continue to do consultant work which I think you may have done).

Last edited by matisse12; 06-01-2019 at 02:53 AM..

Old 06-01-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post

I looked forward to the work most days but readily admit, the change in the business models and political reasons, has reduced the satisfaction factor enough to warrant walking away. 6 figure incentives to do that (again, part of the political reasons) while obviously benefiting me greatly personally, are a consequential part of what has changed over the last 30+ years there. I call it short sightedness, but they call it forward thinking.

When a few of the 20 in our department taking the package were talking in a group, a couple of seasoned, but still in their 40s in the same dept commented, “well, that’s the end of an era”. These guys have mostly been here since college graduation and we have always been fixtures there, as matter experts in our fields. Now THEY have to become the experts, and frankly, a lot of them do not want the responsibility. It is easier to digest when over the period of years, one and two guys a year leave. But 25% of the most experienced (and expensive) guys/gals all at once has a lot of ground people worried. We don’t like leaving them in a possible bad position but it is what it is.
Just wondering if you (and perhaps some of the other 19) who were offered buy-out packages were offered the buy-out packages to push you out of the workplace and move you out for various reasons (age? lack of certain new expertise? not just high paychecks?), and if the strong incentives were to strongly persuade you (and others) to leave the workplace? (sorry, if that is delicate)

(I was responding to one of your long recent posts in another thread which contained a lot of angst and heavy trepidation about impending retirement - something which a lot of people do not experience - but, of course, a few or some do. And some of your mixed feelings seemed to be about being pushed out of the workplace by being offered a strong incentive package, along with wondering what to do without a daily job to go to)

Last edited by matisse12; 06-01-2019 at 02:57 AM..

Old 06-01-2019, 05:58 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times
Congrats Perry. Enjoy your retirement.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:09 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,017 times
Congratulations! You obviously worked hard and made a difference in your industry. I hope the future is just as bright and rewarding for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement