Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 03:22 PM

30 posts, read 17,773 times

Advertisements

I know a couple that has a residence in Yuma, AZ where they spend the winter, but the summers are spent up in the Idaho panhandle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 03:27 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Air conditioning was actually invented in Florida. We have it in our condo and our car. Some stores are too cold for comfort. We are here year round.

We know folks in Arizona that are snowbirds without leaving that state. They go to the high country (northern Arizona) in summer and winter in the valley near Phoenix.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:25 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Due to wife's health we leave AZ and go to MN during the hottest parts of summer. Since we have arrived 6 weeks ago it's rained here in MN almost every other day. The last storm 2 days ago produced 5+ inches of rain in just 24 hours, 80% humidity and heat index of 105. Phoenix at 110 and 18% humidity is far more comfortable. There's been over 20 inches of rain in MN the past 6 weeks.
Our neighbors from FL say that being in MN is as bad as what they left in FL a few weeks ago.
Reports from all over the Midwest and most eastern areas are reporting lot's of rain, high humidity, tornados, hail storms, flooding, etal. Phoenix has it made by these standards.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:36 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Many come here to Western North Carolina. It has been between 62 and 65 each morning and rarely gets above 85 on our mountain. We also enjoy a breeze and relatively low humidity.
I was there for about 4-5 weeks and just returned to FL....it'll likely be my go-to place (Boone area) in future summers. I loved that 60-degree temp in the morning. I did get hit by the rains/flash floods and I understand they've continued even after I left. Not sure if all that rain is usual for the area during summer, but it was unpredictable and sometimes lasted days.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:45 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I was living in Tucson up until May 1, but decided that the summer AZ heat was not for me. I have been in Leipzig, Germany since then. All my stuff in Tucson went into a small storage unit, and I sold my car. I was just going to stay during the warm weather months, but I decided to apply for a one year residence permit, which just got approved. I am retired with good income, so it is a non-working permit. It took just one ten-minute office visit to the foreigner's office in the city, with papers in hand and permit application perfectly filled out. I had to show proof of expat health insurance, proof of income, proof of legal domicile from my landlord. and proof of registration as a resident from the city hall.

I speak German well, and lived here in Germany for many years while in the US Army in the 70s, so am not a stranger. I have been renting a furnished vacation apartment, but I will probably look for something a little more permanent. It is inexpensive in eastern Germany (outside of Berlin) to rent, and no car needed. I picked a place with an excellent street car network in the city, and great train connections in all directions leaving the city. Its also great for bike riding almost anywhere.

During the coldest winter months, I'll probably snowbird and take a flight to a warm weather destination for a few months.
I could do that. Lived there as a kid then as a Soldier, but didn't think I could afford the rent. It takes a lot of motivation, energy to get over there as well, doesn't it?

Old 07-17-2019, 05:18 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I’m up in Tahoe for the exact reason. Been to Maine for two weeks in June.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 07-17-2019 at 06:31 PM..

Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 PM

178 posts, read 124,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Due to wife's health we leave AZ and go to MN during the hottest parts of summer. Since we have arrived 6 weeks ago it's rained here in MN almost every other day. The last storm 2 days ago produced 5+ inches of rain in just 24 hours, 80% humidity and heat index of 105. Phoenix at 110 and 18% humidity is far more comfortable. There's been over 20 inches of rain in MN the past 6 weeks.
Our neighbors from FL say that being in MN is as bad as what they left in FL a few weeks ago.
Reports from all over the Midwest and most eastern areas are reporting lot's of rain, high humidity, tornados, hail storms, flooding, etal. Phoenix has it made by these standards.
We’ve had the 2nd rainiest spring ever in Minnesota. Have heart, next week is supposed to be a lot nicer.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:01 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I could do that. Lived there as a kid then as a Soldier, but didn't think I could afford the rent. It takes a lot of motivation, energy to get over there as well, doesn't it?
The low rent for a simple 50 sq meter (little over 500 sq feet) apartment is one of the best things here. Most in the eastern part of Germany are available for less than 500 Euro ($570) per month. That's all I need, and it is easy to take care of. No, didn't take a huge amount of motivation or energy. I was here last summer on a bike tour for 3 months, and realized how easy it is for me to live here. Once I get settled into my own apartment, I will start taking some multi-day trips to neighboring countries. There are endless places to visit without needed to travel a huge distance - that is the other thing I like about it.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:11 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The low rent for a simple 50 sq meter (little over 500 sq feet) apartment is one of the best things here. Most in the eastern part of Germany are available for less than 500 Euro ($570) per month. That's all I need, and it is easy to take care of. No, didn't take a huge amount of motivation or energy. I was here last summer on a bike tour for 3 months, and realized how easy it is for me to live here. Once I get settled into my own apartment, I will start taking some multi-day trips to neighboring countries. There are endless places to visit without needed to travel a huge distance - that is the other thing I like about it.
....says the person who was there on a 3 month bike tour.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:26 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Any retired person who is stupid enough to retire to Phoenix, then complain about the summer heat, deserves it. It is not exactly a secret or a surprise.

Currently I can tolerate outdoor heat up to 105, which means that only the hottest part of the day is inaccessible for me. Nap time! Heat tolerance increases with practice, at least for me.
I can take 110+, but just can't do anything in that weather!

It's the 90+ night temperatures that are difficult (Palm Springs experiences). That's when you feel there's no relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement