Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2019, 05:14 PM

8,277 posts, read 8,675,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There is little that can not be done cheaper ..just about everything has a lower bottom then where our line in the sand is drawn so pretty much most of what we buy are wants ....everything from where we live to what we eat and wear can all likely be done cheaper or substituted ....so the term needs and wants really are a very fine line ....

What we really do is draw our personal choice and minimum standards in a line in the sand and call that our needs but they are really the standards we set and want not actually need.

We only need that because we choose to set our standards at that level ...if we didn’t we would be living golden girl style to satisfy our housing needs to go to one extreme
The golden girl lifestyle wouldn't be an extreme for some people that post on these threads. It would be a step up in lifestyle. Nice home in a nice area beats the hell out of government housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 05:27 PM

106,842 posts, read 109,092,448 times
It very well could be ... but you get the point ...mostly everything is our personal choices and standards and those are wants

Old 07-24-2019, 05:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,749,658 times
My local supermarket marks down meats (which are approaching their sell by dates) on Tuesdays. I buy what we like and freeze it.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:00 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,585,399 times
Winco is cheaper than Costco but only a few states have the store. I don’t want more than 2 months worth of supplies.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:29 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,609,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
Quote from my favorite Hawaiian T shirt "There are 2 ways to be rich....make more or desire less". There are several other good sayings on this shirt.

Learn to DIY, you will do better work for far less cash and gain a skill.
Third way ... make more AND desire less.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:30 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,609,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Tell them you're going to the pharmacy, or the optical. They can't require a membership for either. They're not going to stop you if you then go get a hot dog!
Costco pharmacy and optical is open to the public? I can get an eye exam and buy glasses without being a member?

Last edited by fumbling; 07-24-2019 at 10:45 PM..

Old 07-24-2019, 11:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Costco pharmacy and optical is open to the public? I can get an eye exam and buy glasses without being a member?
You can't pay without scanning a current membership card.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:22 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
A lifestyle change is a natural way to avoid spending more money than you want to.

With retirement comes more time so cooking from scratch/using fresh vs processed foods can save you.
Lots of simple recipes out there..I love the one pot/pan recipes.

Living more simply...library, free town concerts, farmer markets, beach, walking in the park vs going to the mall, movies, paid for concerts.

Do your own DIY around the house. Much cheaper if you are handy.

When buying big ticket items, go for quality which will cost more. It will last you longer so in the long run you save money.

Use your electronics until they break or until it gets to the point of being not supported anymore and hinders you.
My wife and I often comment that we could eat well on a food stamp budget because we cook. The local supermarket had eye of round on sale for $2.97/lb, so I bought a couple family packs. We grilled a couple, and it was so tough our jaw muscles got exhausted from chewing, so an alternate recipe was indicated.

Tonight we had salisbury steak. I pounded it with a meat mallet that has blades to cut the fibers, seared it, and baked it in caramelized onion and brown gravy. It will also make stew meat, swiss steak, and with a day in marinade might actually be edible on the grill.

I mostly just stay home for entertainment. I have 90 acres of hilly timber and meadow to take care of. I hang out with my dog, a wonderful field bred springer spaniel. She has fun and so do I.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:13 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,944,452 times
We buy cereal on Amazon...Raisin Bran. #96 1.25 ounce containers for right around $39. We keep 5 or 6 in the freezer all the time. Just peel off the foil on top and pour in the milk. It stays cold too.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,933,779 times
Eat less, stop eating out. Most of us could stand to lose some weight. Cut alcohol consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement