Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 12:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

We're gone most of the time. (while still able)
Lived in Thailand 3 yrs,
Did a RTW for a yr, (good idea to be gone every 4th yr in USA (election yrs))
100+ free (companion) flights last yr (in USA) + 6 international trips

Have a nice place with nice view to call home. Someday we will spend more time at home (when necessary).

Everyone is different in perspective / need / desires.
It is fine to stay home too!

I like to stay extended times in one spot to get to know the people and culture... and stay with farmers and ranchers and help out with projects (Not many consider that 'retirement or vacation', but I enjoy it). Also volunteer at orphanages and camps internationally to create a sense of place. / stability.

Seldom travel as a tourist (only seeing popular sites)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 12:46 PM

115 posts, read 60,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We're gone most of the time. (while still able)
Lived in Thailand 3 yrs,
Did a RTW for a yr, (good idea to be gone every 4th yr in USA (election yrs))
100+ free (companion) flights last yr (in USA) + 6 international trips

Have a nice place with nice view to call home. Someday we will spend more time at home (when necessary).

Everyone is different in perspective / need / desires.
It is fine to stay home too!

I like to stay extended times in one spot to get to know the people and culture... and stay with farmers and ranchers and help out with projects (Not many consider that 'retirement or vacation', but I enjoy it). Also volunteer at orphanages and camps internationally to create a sense of place. / stability.

Seldom travel as a tourist (only seeing popular sites)
Ditto. Good to stay in a place and get to know the people and culture.

We volunteered right after retirement for 2 years - Uganda. Great experience.

And we feel very much at home in Thailand in winter. We are welcomed with hugs by the staff where we rent our home, and also at our favourite restaurants when we return for the season.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:55 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
My work schedule is extremely flexible as well as portable so my still working doesn't impact the amount of time we can travel. Now that my spouse is retired, we've started month to month and a half long vacations. It takes us about a month to recover from the vacations if we stay away much longer, but we don't have any winter down times so getting the yard back in shape is a huge endeavor if it gets too far gone.

Two years ago, it was a couple days on Oahu visiting friends, a bit of time in San Diego, then a cruise through the Panama canal. Then ended the cruise in Florida and stayed there for a couple weeks, then flew back home to Hawaii from there. Overall time was around five weeks.

Last year it was to Oakland, overnight and then a direct flight to Rome. We should have stayed there much longer, we didn't have enough time to see as much as we wanted. Then to the ship and a trans-Atlantic trip to Florida. Followed by a cruise to the Caribbean and then another couple of weeks in Florida. We have family in Florida so that's why it shows up in our vacations a lot. Overall time was around six weeks.

After about a month to five weeks, I'm ready to go home. Home is really nice so spending time there is a good thing.

We're looking at a transPacific cruise perhaps next year. Depends on how long it takes to get the next big house project finished.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:52 PM

705 posts, read 562,340 times
We always talked about going to Ireland and Scotland. Since downsizing we no longer really care to go. My husband is content being home and I really dislike Hotels so our plans changed. No regrets, we're happy.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:09 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
I was legally blind when retired, and had quit traveling. But when I started using a white cane 20 years later, felt newly liberated and tried traveling, by myself and independently. Since then I went to 30 countries (20 new) on six continents.

Longest trip was 5 weeks, longest in one place about ten days

You can do whatever you want to do, provided you have a realistic view of your limitations. At 75, I started taking taxis, instead of hoofing it several km with my pack.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
Ditto. Good to stay in a place and get to know the people and culture.
And we feel very much at home in Thailand in winter. We are welcomed with hugs by the staff where we rent our home, and also at our favourite restaurants when we return for the season.
And a big welcome from the scooter rental place!!! Last trip they bought a brand new one and saved it for me. In my favorite (safe) color too! Can't imagine they will every pay that off at $40 / month rental rate. (Scooters are not cheap to buy in Thailand)

Yes, isn't it great! The staff always makes a special 'welcome' decoration with flowers / towels / plantings... Even when we go away for a long weekend we return to a grand welcome!

$4 thai massage (full hour), on the beach... Sometimes I do 2 per day !

Good:

Food,
Terrain!
Safety
Sights
Shopping
Entertainment
Medical care
Proximity to other nice places to travel...

Old 07-21-2019, 01:32 AM

115 posts, read 60,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And a big welcome from the scooter rental place!!! Last trip they bought a brand new one and saved it for me. In my favorite (safe) color too! Can't imagine they will every pay that off at $40 / month rental rate. (Scooters are not cheap to buy in Thailand)

Yes, isn't it great! The staff always makes a special 'welcome' decoration with flowers / towels / plantings... Even when we go away for a long weekend we return to a grand welcome!

$4 thai massage (full hour), on the beach... Sometimes I do 2 per day !

Good:

Food,
Terrain!
Safety
Sights
Shopping
Entertainment
Medical care
Proximity to other nice places to travel...
What area do you stay in? We won't rent the scooters (or rather, I won't let hubby). We rent a car from the manager/owner of the smallish community we stay in. And being long timers (this winter will be our 6th year), the rates for house and car stay the same. They even store our 6 big crates of stuff and 2 bicycles for free. And free airport pickup.

Love the food! We never cook except for nuking our porridge for breakfast. And the massages. Love that the pool and the sea are the same temp as the air. And the snorkeling. I love the temples!

Old 07-21-2019, 02:03 AM

914 posts, read 643,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I was legally blind when retired, and had quit traveling. But when I started using a white cane 20 years later, felt newly liberated and tried traveling, by myself and independently. Since then I went to 30 countries (20 new) on six continents.

Longest trip was 5 weeks, longest in one place about ten days

You can do whatever you want to do, provided you have a realistic view of your limitations. At 75, I started taking taxis, instead of hoofing it several km with my pack.
Thank you for your uplifting post. It can happen to anyone overnight your life is different. Life's events are all about your response. I do hope you've documented your journey, as it is inspiring and will help others.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:32 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
in the first 12 months after I retied we did a long driving trip across the western part of North America. Something like 11k miles in 6 weeks. We had done shorter trips to various parts of the itinerary of this trip while working but always had to do just part of it due to time needed to do more. So in 2008 we headed west with no reservations at a hotel along the way. We stayed as long as we wanted in various spots to do them right. This trip is when it sunk in that my life style had changed. It was a wonderful trip and so glad I did it so early in vacation when my energy level was greater.

Since this trip we have done one 3 week plus trip on our 40th anniversary. Fly to Athens and did a 2 week cruise of the eastern med ending Rome where we spent almost a week seeing and exploring. We do shorter trips now, just fits out desire to be home more at this age.

The luxury of time was one of the best features of being retired. I could do with my time as I wanted without being driven by work schedules

Old 07-21-2019, 06:14 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
We stay in Thailand a lot. I once lived in Bangkok for two years, our most recent stay was in Chiang Mai for six months ending in spring of this year. Our longest stays since retiring have been in Mexico, Thailand, Colombia, and Guatemala. We recently wrapped up seven weeks in Portugal, and will bum around Europe until gets too cold in September. We're planning to spend four months next summer in France, but that's a long way off we'll see.

Travel is fun, especially if you like eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement