Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 AM

115 posts, read 60,254 times

Advertisements

Flying is always worth it to me. I couldn't really go anywhere if I didn't!

It's not a big deal to spend 2 days in transit to get to Thailand where we will spend 3 months. And if we can upgrade to business class, even better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 10:00 AM

154 posts, read 92,705 times
1. Disneyland & Knotts Berry Farm every 2 or 3 years with Grandkids.

2. Every year we visit the ocean for 2 nights/3 days usually placing an add on Craigslist to offer a rideshare to share gas expenses.

When we stay, we quickly collect enough muscle shells (calcium) to feed our chickens for 2-3 yrs. Keeps their little legs strong and keeps them from eating chicken eggs

We add some of the ground calcium shells to our own diets. These shells are in abundance so it takes little time to collect them
And little time to run them over with the truck smashing them into powder form

Old 07-23-2019, 10:14 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sunrise is beautiful flying over Mt Shasta (at the moment). Lake Shasta is very scenic and full, will be in Carmel before noon.

TSA took <3 min this AM (and it was crowded).

<30 min Home to gate... including LT parking + shuttle + check-in + walking to furthest gate. Really not a big deal.

And I just saved 12 hr driving. + fuel, food, 'wear n tear' (on car and body)...
We went camping and boating at Lake Shasta a couple years ago, I love that area.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-23-2019, 10:28 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
Flying is always worth it to me. I couldn't really go anywhere if I didn't!

It's not a big deal to spend 2 days in transit to get to Thailand where we will spend 3 months. And if we can upgrade to business class, even better!
Some places you have to fly, my husband and I are not good enough swimmers to swim to Hawaii from LAX.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:33 AM

115 posts, read 60,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Some places you have to fly, my husband and I are not good enough swimmers to swim to Hawaii from LAX.
I have to fly everywhere. I live on an island - Great Britain. So getting to the US, Australia, Thailand would be extremely difficult. We can get to the continent via trains but we hardly go there any more.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:03 PM

317 posts, read 307,942 times
Took a road trip for the 4th to the Southern Oregon coast, spent a week there relaxing. Haven't done that since wife became disabled several years ago. Almost forgot what it feels like to go on vacation.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:15 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I don't mind flying, but I am rather careful about arranging flights for my comfort. I make sure layovers are at least 2 hours so I don't have a mad dash when something runs slightly late - plus that gives me time to wander around, stretch, use a "real" restroom, see what local snacks there are - make sure that I don't get the last flight of the day out of anywhere, check out some of the seat map sites before I pick seats and if I am flying in to SFO, I make sure it is an early-morning flight (to try to avoid fog delays).

Flight segments over 4 hours, I always try to upgrade - often the upgrade to first on domestic is not that much more than the upgrades for Economy Plus plus a checked bag plus priority boarding. International is quite a different story.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 07-24-2019 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-24-2019, 02:20 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Hawaiian circle cruises departing from San Diego. HAL does a good job with these. Last time we went it was on Zaandam.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:42 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Hawaiian circle cruises departing from San Diego. HAL does a good job with these. Last time we went it was on Zaandam.
These cruises are much more expensive then what I’m willing to pay. My daughter just went on one week Disney Cruise to the Bahamas, I think it was like $3000 or something, peak season, my husband and I were horrified. We only pay $119 one way to Hawaii from LAX, so cost wise and time wise, flying comes out ahead.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:31 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
We go to England every other year. Due to go for the last time this fall, will say good bye to dh's little grandson--thank goodness for FB so we can see him grow. From then on, if we can still afford it, fly to FL and take cruises. We both find cruises to be really relaxing, getting away from all the little problems and a complete change of scene. Problem is the airfare to FL--it costs about as much as going to the UK economy just to get to FL and then stay overnight in a hotel to get a cruise. Oh well, put it on a credit card and pay it off in one year interest free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement