Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 07:55 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Still waiting for other things to happen first. I don't want to spend the money flying there to see the house until I know more about it. I wanted to get the loan approval out of the way.
I did find out it's on the National Register of Historic Places which is kind of cool. I found pictures of the house from 1974 when it was registered.
Nice! I'm so happy for you. I hope your friend gets back to you with a good report on it after he see's it.

You may eligible for some tax benefits, or even grants since it's registered, and best of all, you can get yourself a cool little plaque to put on the front of it!
I think you have to buy that yourself though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 01:47 AM

60 posts, read 39,903 times
I did precisely what you’re speaking of. I was planning on buying a home in a 55+ community when I sold my current place and retired. I had an opportunity to buy a home in a good location within the community that was close to my sister & BIL who also live there for the price point I was looking to spend. At first I was hesitant because I had a couple of years to retirement and didn’t feel comfortable just letting it sit unoccupied. Renting it out was suggested and I’d heard lots of landlord horror stories. Since it’s in a 55+ community, it was noted that retired 55+ folks are more responsible and there would be people wanting to buy a home there who would want to try living in the community to see if they like it.

I went ahead and bought it. I hired a management company to take care of it for 10% of the rent payment. Including that expense, I have to shell out $35 a month, plus $244 for HOA dues. I can make the payment but letting it pay for itself seemed like a no-brainer to me. Plus, since it’s a rental property, there are many things one can written off as business expenses (mortgage interest, property taxes, HOA dues, landlord insurance, etc...). So I get a house I really like and have one less thing to think about retirement.

There was another thread regarding either paying the mortgage off after I sell my current place or carrying a mortgage. I initially thought to pay the mortgage off but am now thinking about carrying a mortgage. I’m still on the fence for that one.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:23 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times
Quote:
There was another thread regarding either paying the mortgage off after I sell my current place or carrying a mortgage. I initially thought to pay the mortgage off but am now thinking about carrying a mortgage. I’m still on the fence for that one.
For those that didn't read the thread, I'll sum it up for you.

A: As long as your mtg interest rate is decent..you'll make more money by investing it.

B: Pay off the mtg and get some peace of mind.

We're still on the fence too Dude.

The obviously solution to our dilemma is that we just have to win the lottery.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:15 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
For those that didn't read the thread, I'll sum it up for you.

A: As long as your mtg interest rate is decent..you'll make more money by investing it.

B: Pay off the mtg and get some peace of mind.

We're still on the fence too Dude.

The obviously solution to our dilemma is that we just have to win the lottery.
AKA red neck retirement.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:03 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
AKA red neck retirement.
The lottery is a tax on people who can't do math. I have to admit that when one of the jackpots goes into the stratosphere I sometimes buy a ticket, but only a couple a year. If I bought them regularly, I would consider that gambling with really bad odds. I consider what I do just occasionally paying a dollar or two for a good daydream.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:37 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
The lottery is a tax on people who can't do math. I have to admit that when one of the jackpots goes into the stratosphere I sometimes buy a ticket, but only a couple a year. If I bought them regularly, I would consider that gambling with really bad odds. I consider what I do just occasionally paying a dollar or two for a good daydream.
I do the same but it's probably been a year since I last 'invested' $ in the lottery.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:46 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I do the same but it's probably been a year since I last 'invested' $ in the lottery.
I have kind of dropped off on frequency also since it started getting into ridiculous jackpots so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement