Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2019, 10:38 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Is 70 the magic number?

I have siblings and friends that age that are now starting to "take care of themselves". What happened to their prior years?

I was in the military so had to run, jump, exercise, watch my weight etc. Is 70 too late to start?

My gyn retired this year and as yet I haven't found a decent new one who will take Medicare. I'm 74.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 11:26 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
From 68 to 78, I lived alone, no neighbors I could depend on, legally blind, so walked everywhere, did everything on my own, shopping, housekeeping, cooking, extremely frugal on SS.. From age 75, traveled to 40 countries independently and alone. No problems.
This is amazing. That you could do all that travel while legally blind. Alone!

I commend you. Also on your independence---doing all that alone.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:58 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,590,134 times
I just turned 70. In my mind, I feel 40 (well maybe 50). And I don't look 70. But, in the past year, my knee started to really bother me. Fortunately, physical therapy helped a great deal. I just hope it stays ok. But, my big issue is an unaligned hip. I am not in pain, but look drunk when I walk. After taking 10 minutes to step off a curb, I gave in and bought a cane. That makes me feel more secure, but I am so slow and still wobbly. I keep telling myself that canes are for old people and I'm not old.

I live in the center of a big city (Philly) and and am used to walking everywhere. But, now if it's more than two blocks, I take public transportation, or Uber.

Because of this, my stamina is low. Every night I plan the next day. Since I feel fine sitting in a chair or laying in bed, the list in my head is long. But, in reality it's a good day when I get one or two things completed.

Luckily, there's Amazon and Peapod for grocery delivery. And Grubhub and Cavier for restaurant delivery.

Last edited by newmarlig; 11-21-2019 at 09:08 PM..

Old 11-21-2019, 09:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post

I just turned 70. In my mind, I feel 40 (well maybe 50). And I don't look 70. But, in the past year, my knee started to really bother me. Fortunately, physical therapy helped a great deal. I just hope it stays ok. .
What kind of physical therapy exercises did you do, if you feel like saying? I'm interested because they were effective for you. (I have bad knees too) Or you could put them in a Direct Message, if you prefer.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:32 AM

586 posts, read 314,748 times
I was fine at 70. In the three years since, not so much.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:28 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,590,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What kind of physical therapy exercises did you do, if you feel like saying? I'm interested because they were effective for you. (I have bad knees too) Or you could put them in a Direct Message, if you prefer.
The stationary bike was a great help. Here are some exercises that also help. You can go on youtube and look for "exercises for knee pain" for more.

https://youtu.be/yQKxITLikiE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement