Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 08:28 AM

19,895 posts, read 9,453,564 times

Advertisements

Although I have four years to go until I'm 70 (I turn 66 this Sunday), I am finding the answers very interesting, and thank all of you for replying!! I feel great most of the time now, but reading this is firming the idea in my mind that my "active years" will probably end about 75, and after that, it will be mostly downhill, at least physically -- so I am going to plan for that and update my "bucket list" accordingly! (Actually, it will be a NEW bucket list, as my two main goals will have been completed by the end of 2020, when we will -- hopefully, fingers crossed -- retire to our out-of-state "dream home" late next summer.)

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by katharsis; 08-08-2019 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 08:30 AM

17,565 posts, read 39,222,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am turning 70 in December. I am not extraordinarily fit and active but I have always felt fit, healthy, and well. The only medication I take daily is thyroid pills. But I feel age is finally catching up with me this year.

I have seasonal allergy and those symptoms can debilitate me, resulting in cancelled plans for birding or something I enjoy very much. The occurrence and severity seems to have increased this year.
I have never had digestive problems and could eat anything I wanted to. Now I have acid reflux which is causing coughs and sore throat.
I developed rotator cuff pain - not sure how it happened.Treating with physical therapy, ibuprofen, ice and visits to the gym to strengthen muscles. It has helped a lot but still not 100% recovered, some mobility problems.

I seem to need need several naps! I suspect it might have something to do with how much screen time I spend in CD! My eyes get tired when reading any kind of text for some time.
I am supposed to take Vitamin D and calcium but I have been careless with it. Now I have decided to take them more regularly.

Something or other is always sore - knees, joints, feet.

How do you feel? How do stay fit? What do you do at the gym? what supplements do you take? What hurts?
I am about like you. I am about to turn 70. Most of my life pretty active, generally healthy and fit, but with some back/spine issues. All of a sudden I just don't have energy anymore, and my allergies, aches & pains have all increased. My back issues make me prone to injuries so I have to be very careful what type of exercise I do anymore. I used to do a bit of weight training, but that's out now. Yes, I always have some sort of pain issue, and I am currently recovering from a debilitating calf strain.

We are moving to a new house in a couple months and I am kind of dreading the physical aspect of it. My back hurts so easily, I may just have to hire people to do it all. Even with that there is the effort required to put it all away. Of course it's summer in Florida when the hot humid air sucks the life out of me, I will feel better when the weather eases off in a couple months.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,926,981 times
Quote:
I am turning 70 in December. I am not extraordinarily fit and active but I have always felt fit, healthy, and well. The only medication I take daily is thyroid pills. But I feel age is finally catching up with me this year.

I have seasonal allergy and those symptoms can debilitate me, resulting in cancelled plans for birding or something I enjoy very much. The occurrence and severity seems to have increased this year.
I have never had digestive problems and could eat anything I wanted to. Now I have acid reflux which is causing coughs and sore throat.
I developed rotator cuff pain - not sure how it happened.Treating with physical therapy, ibuprofen, ice and visits to the gym to strengthen muscles. It has helped a lot but still not 100% recovered, some mobility problems.

I seem to need need several naps! I suspect it might have something to do with how much screen time I spend in CD! My eyes get tired when reading any kind of text for some time.
I am supposed to take Vitamin D and calcium but I have been careless with it. Now I have decided to take them more regularly.

Something or other is always sore - knees, joints, feet.

How do you feel? How do stay fit? What do you do at the gym? what supplements do you take? What hurts?

I will soon be 77 and I'm doing pretty good. I have COPD, which sometimes gives me problems, and I use an inhaler once a day but that's it.

I quit working a year ago and it took months for my body to stop hurting. It's soooo nice to not be in pain all the time, just from my job. Nothing hurts anymore. I'm not as fit as I should be but the COPD limits me at times. I've always had an over abundance of energy but I've slowed down a lot and, for that, I'm actually grateful. I get to "stop and smell the roses" oftener.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:47 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,648,049 times
Quote:
Elizabeth Warren is the same age as me. I cannot imagine campaigning the way she does. What is the magic?
I’m convinced a lot of the people in politics have manic personality disorders.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:49 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times
What I've noticed is that a lot of people are doing "OK to fairly well" at 70, by start to slow down a lot by 80.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:56 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,525,240 times
70 is when you know that your falling apart.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:06 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,863,778 times
I heard somewhere that the rate of our physical deterioration is proportionate to the passing of time (and ultimately related to how well we take care of ourselves). For example, the rate of our deterioration from 60-70 is proportionate to what we experienced between 50-60. Likewise, 70-80 is relatively proportionate to 60-70... etc.. At 72, I've noticed a much more significant slide in the last 10-years ... as in the preceding 10-years (but, at 50-60, who's really paying attention).

I think I read this on the internet, so I know it must be scientifically and medically accurate.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:09 AM

5,642 posts, read 24,987,516 times
At 70 I found I had lost any stamina and suffered fatigue often. Even though I did not like doctors I went and explained and was setup with a series of tests.

Found that I have a totally blocked left artery and have avoided a heart attack only because my body has developed collateral arteries that make up a portion of the capacity. The cardiologist offered three choices... open up my chest and do bypass; attempt improvement with stents; or start a drug and exercise treatment. I chose the drugs and increased exercise.

Today I take some drugs regularly and go to the gym daily but feel great. My body looks like it did when 50 and I am capable of 5 or 6 hours of activity without the crippling fatigue that I had in the past. My recent checkup with the cardiologist was so good it was a 10 minute review and he shook my hand and said I'll see you in a year.

Every body is different but there good options.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:10 AM

1,305 posts, read 860,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWA View Post
I am 64 so no experience of 70 but some of OP’s observations ring true already ie decreasing stamina, balance not what it was, reflux from food that never caused issues before (pizza is now a no no☹️). Nothing major but feeling it.
I will keep up my walking (about an hour most days) and gym 30-45 mins 4 days a week trying to keep what fitness I have.
Being aware of creeping decline motivates me to do some big trips sooner rather than later because I fear I may lose ability in 5-10 years. That was the strong advice from my mother-in-law who lost energy for trips long before ticking off her list.
I am also 64 and could have posted the same thing....felt like I could accomplish anything until I hit 60. Now at 64, I just don't have the energy I feel I should have. Keeping up with my 24-year-old granddaughter is like being in the Olympics! I want to be in bed by 10 every night. Driving for a couple of hours wears me out. I can't do anything if it's hot and humid outside...need to be in air conditioning....went outside to plant a small plant the other day....after 10 minutes work/heat had to come inside and collapse! Hate to think what I'll be like in 6 years! AAACCCKKKK!

Old 08-08-2019, 09:16 AM

16,083 posts, read 7,093,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’m convinced a lot of the people in politics have manic personality disorders.

Do you think she smokes pot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement