Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 09:24 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Correct, but I knew that. I just confirmed the statistic that it wasn't 100% effective.

At the time, Shingrex was in very short supply, so it wasn't an option. How is the supply situation now?

What long term side effects? I can't find any, and the short term side effects are far better than shingles, which often does have severe long term side effects.
With my body being as bad as it is with pain from a failed back fusion; I can end up with enhanced pain. With people experiencing flu like symptoms which go away after a few days, for me it could last months. In the other thread, one person's pain was magnified; they also have strange reactions to things like I do. I'm going to contact them to see how long it lasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I got the second shot Oct. 22. I felt fine for several weeks. About 5 weeks ago I began having bad shoulder pain in the shot site, arm pain, joint pain everywhere, and a feeling of being unwell. The joint pain makes it very hard to get out of bed and my usual Tylenol does very little to help, as before. I do have arthritis, but was never this bad before.

In addition, my fingers are swelling and the joints hurt. Also my left foot is not itself. I woke up one night with very bad muscle pain on the top side of the foot.
Apparently this is all nerve pain, which I never anticipated. The first shot was ok. This one is very very different.

I pray this goes away before gardening season, because I will never be able to plant anything in the shape I am in now.
I do believe my strange reaction was not typical, so don't be swayed. It's just my body that reacts crazy to some meds, some allergens, foods, smells, etc.

I probably should have considered that before doing the second shot.
When I had shingles, it was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life and it lingered. I had it on my eyelid, one or 2 right at the eyelashes. Very painful head/eye ache, stabbing in my eye. Even with pain meds I wanted to blow my brains out. I'm only 54. Had it at 51. I surely do not want shingles again; especially in my eye. In the other thread people posted that they knew people that did get it twice and in the same area.

The link below goes to my post reply to an article that was posted in the other thread. The article is below.

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...l#post54264592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
A few things stick out to me. The vaccine isn't that effective to begin with. They say for every 38 people vaccinated it actually prevents one case and that it's rare for shingles to strike someone twice. I think I'm going to hold off on it because I would be the one that has the lasting side effect because my health is bad to begin with having chronic pain issues. I surely don't need any more chronic pain on top of what I already have. It almost took out my eye, so this is going to be something on my mind but for now I'm gonna hold off...

Shingrix vs. Zostavax: How do Various Shingles Vaccines Stack Up?

Quote:
Zoster is not generally a fatal condition. However, if it spreads along a nerve leading to the eye it can cause blindness in that eye. Its main medical symptom though is pain. The pain associated with herpes-zoster can be intense and debilitating. While the pain usually subsides after 3-4 weeks, in some people it can turn into a chronic pain syndrome called post-herpetic neuralgia, which you should not wish on your worst enemy.

... With the development of the varicella vaccine, this has changed somewhat. Even people who were vaccinated against varicella as a child have a risk of developing herpes-zoster because traces of the virus remain in the system after vaccination. However, the risk is much lower than people who were infected by the actual varicella-zoster virus.

Now a new vaccine for herpes zoster, called Shingrix, has been approved. Unlike Zostavax it is an inactivated recombinant vaccine. Inactivated vaccines are different than live attenuated vaccines in that they contain killed virus.... Its efficacy is also measurably better than its predecessor. It reduced rates of herpes zoster from 9.1 to 0.3 cases per 1000 people. This means that for every 38 people vaccinated, you prevent one episode of zoster, which is an improvement from before.

Also, because shingles can strike twice, albeit rarely, those who have had a previous episode should also consider getting vaccinated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I had shingles in 2009 and got the old vaccine after someone told me he had had shingles TWICE, and the second case did permanent damage.

Thought I was done when “they” said shingles was a one-time thing, then thought I was done after getting that vaccination.

Hah! Wait till they tell us that we need yet another vaccine even if we had Shingrix. Stay tuned...
Thanks, this is my biggest fear. Permanent damage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 09:25 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,671,627 times
First - I had no reaction at all. DH had a slightly sore arm for 2 days.

Second - I had a tender spot where the shot was given for 3 days. DH about the same - sore upper arm.

No fever, chills, or flu-like symptoms luckily. My mother had shingles and I would not chance that for anything.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 AM

408 posts, read 259,894 times
I had the old Shingles vaccine about 7 years ago. No bad reactions. I had the first shot of the new vaccine last Thursday. No sore arm, but on Friday I felt like I got hit in both kidneys by a baseball bat. Only lasted one day. Saturday I was a little tired but no soreness and Sunday I was back to 100%.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
No reaction at all.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:43 PM

110 posts, read 77,225 times
When my wife and I received the first Shingrex shot, I got sick and she did not. I had a "24 hour" fever and generally felt bad all over. My wife had no reaction. For the second shot, I had no reaction and my wife got sick with a low grade fever and generally feeling under the weather.

There is another thread on this topic somewhere this is about a year old.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:32 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Since you said a few years ago, I assume you had the older shot, called Zostavax not the new Shingrix. Even after having the older vaccine, you can have the newer one that's supposed to offer better protection. I actually have stats in one thread in the health section. I wasn't to say that it protects 35% of the people that do get it but it does not stop everyone from getting shingles. It's another reason that I may end up passing on it because I could end up with life long side effects with a vaccine that may not even help.

I'll see if I can find the other thread with the stats I found.

*Note, I'm not against the vaccine. I am seriously considering getting it but it's not an easy decision for me.
I had shingles in my right shoulder blade area. One large blister, about 2 inches in dia. That went away within a week or so. I had nerve pain that felt like someone was grabbing a muscle deep inside with a pair of pliers and twisting. It would come at random times and it was terrible. I took Gaberpentine for 3 months and was a walking zombie. It eased up after 3 months. My neighbor had hers inside her ear and ended up in the hospital. You don't want shingles.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:25 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Glad you posted this. I will be getting the shots shortly. At least I will know what might happen and can plan according. My doctor said most people do not have a bad reaction but to avoid any other shots within a month so they do not interact.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:45 PM

810 posts, read 871,881 times
I'm still on the fence about getting the shots. Statistically, about 1 out of 3 people in the US will develop shingles in their lifetime, which means that 2 out of 3 won't. Health roulette. My father had shingles and was miserable. More longer term data on the new Shingrix vaccine would make the decision easier.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:57 PM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times
I had no reaction other than a very sore arm. 2nd shot worse than 1st

I attended vaccination seminar and class, for my RPh license renewal and learned that Shingrix can cause a reaction in anyone. From my sore arm to your extreme 24 hours. If anything, it ranges from no reaction to somewhere in-between.

With Shingrex, the closer you get the 2nd dose to the 1st, the worse it can be

Still infinitely better than getting Shingles

Old 08-12-2019, 08:14 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
I tried to get the shots. Walgreens said they would call me when the vaccine was received. No calls. No shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement