Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 26 25.49%
SUV/Crossover 76 74.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 02:56 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
A cab.

Best answer so far. Made me laugh out loud. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 03:03 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Mustang GT convertible.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:11 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Not on the list.

Red Mustang GT vert.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:19 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Subaru Forester is one of the best cars for senior drivers. It has great visibility, lots of safety features and is easy to get in and out of because it's raised. I wanted one, but my husband thought it was too big and we went with a Crosstrek instead. I like the Crosstrek, too, and it has all the safety features, but would have preferred the Forester.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
We have a 2017 Subaru Outback and we really enjoy it. It is a total "nanny car". Maximally adjustable seats, up down, forward, back, seat tilt, lumbar adjustment, heated. Backup camera with green and yellow lines super imposed. side mirrors with sensors for car in the adjacent lane. Variable cruise control, adjusts to the car ahead of you, adjustable to 2,3,4 car lengths. All wheel drive. 30 mpg, with a 450 mile range. The cruise will bring you all the way to a stop and then accelerate back to cruising speed. Driving lights on all the time, but not as bright as headlights. Lots of room in the back for groceries. If you aren't paying close attention and the ahead of you does an emergency stop, will apply the brakes for you to a stop.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but for late 60's folks it is a very safe car and fun to drive.

So is the Forrester, a very nice car with all the same features. It's amazing how many Subaru's we see in western Oregon.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:51 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,946,160 times
Anything where you sit up higher, turn and put your feet down on the pavement, easing the stand up, when getting out. I don't like having to stand up from a squatting position or on one leg~as so many sedans seem to be low riding, forcing you to enter or exit by putting your body weight on one leg.

I drive a mini van~and have since 1997. Next car will either be another mini van or an SUV. Like the features of the Subaru Outbacks/Ascents/Foresters. Have rented Hyundai Santa Fe and Tuscan, like the Santa Fe better. Have also rented Kia Soul, Sorrento and Sportage and prefer the Sorrento for long distance, the Soul is fine for around town, short drives. Not crazy about the utilitarian Jeeps (too boxy and a hard ride). I had trouble with one of the Nissan models, found it had too many blind spots for the time I rented it. Tons of friends love the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV's.

Comfort and features will be required in my next car; heated seats, lumbar support, hands free tailgate lift...

Old 08-25-2019, 03:57 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
Our next one, with the safety features we want/need will be a Toyota Rav 4. It checks all our boxes for safety, comfort and reliability. A Subaru Forester is also a possibility.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:59 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
I’m a 60-year old female and looking for a new 2019 or 2020 car. I know that everyone says not to buy new, but that’s what I want since I hope to keep my next car at least 20 years, which is how long I’ve had my current car. I’m a planner so I’m thinking into my future needs as I age, and this could be my last car.

When I started this process, I never even considered anything but a sedan because that’s the only kind I’ve owned, but I saw this article and others like it and wonder if I’d be making a mistake at this stage of my life.
https://clark.com/cars/best-cars-senior-drivers/

If I did buy an SUV, I’d definitely want the most reliable and durable smaller crossover type so it’s more compact or subcompact. As a senior driver, what do you drive, and do you prefer a sedan or SUV and why? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.
You might like a Honda Accord. Bought mine new in 2005 and it has been wonderful. Accord EX V6, leather, GPS, with everything possible on it, about 130,000 miles. Only on my 2nd set of Michelin tires. A couple of neighbors have offered to buy it from me. Nope.

I agree with a Subaru Forester also, the new models are very nice. My neighbor has a sharp looking white one, and loves it.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:10 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
We were planning on getting a Subaru Forester back in Dec of 2016, before we left Florida. Liked the size and the visibility but found the seats (in the back area) to be uncomfortable to us. Wound up getting a Kia Sorento and could not be happier. Easy for getting in and out and seats are very comfortable. Got the turbo so it has enough pep when we need it out on the road and has a good amount of cargo room for trips.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:07 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We have a 2017 Subaru Outback and we really enjoy it. It is a total "nanny car". Maximally adjustable seats, up down, forward, back, seat tilt, lumbar adjustment, heated. Backup camera with green and yellow lines super imposed. side mirrors with sensors for car in the adjacent lane. Variable cruise control, adjusts to the car ahead of you, adjustable to 2,3,4 car lengths. All wheel drive. 30 mpg, with a 450 mile range. The cruise will bring you all the way to a stop and then accelerate back to cruising speed. Driving lights on all the time, but not as bright as headlights. Lots of room in the back for groceries. If you aren't paying close attention and the ahead of you does an emergency stop, will apply the brakes for you to a stop.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but for late 60's folks it is a very safe car and fun to drive.

So is the Forrester, a very nice car with all the same features. It's amazing how many Subaru's we see in western Oregon.

Wow! And here I thought cruise control was the cat's meow! lol

I drive, what I call, a 'granny' car. A Buick Century. I almost feel like it's too big for me but it's a good car, comfortable to drive and really good gas mileage. It's great for long road trips, quiet and smooth. My all time favorite car was my Honda Accord. I had two Toyota Celicas and liked them a lot too but I do want another Honda Accord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement