Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 12:46 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
Glasses are often not covered for the poor, so who can read those cookbooks? I am female and have a boys & girls cookbook, that's my level of cooking.

When it says 1 garlic clove, I put in one garlic clove. I know for sure it's correct since I only bought one garlic clove.
LOL. They don't sell garlic by the clove.

I did that, too, the first time I made a pot roast. Put in a whole bulb of garlic because I didn't realize it breaks into cloves.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:12 PM

6,784 posts, read 5,510,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Purple, I just had someone tell me that the waiting list for housing is 7 years where they live. That’s awful. So sorry you can’t live alone. Take care.
When i was homeless living under a bridge next to the RR tracks (fairly quiet actually except when the trains thundered by), i went to welfare and was denied 4 times. Each time i brought up being homeless.
The 5th time I Impressed upon the intake worker that I was HOMELESS. I asked...werent there any MENS housings ( rooms) I could go to??? ( they dont advertise you know!!!) As the shelters were all for women and children. She said the mens housing was all filled up, but she said shed be right back. She came back and said she could get me expedited benefits BECAUSE I was homeless. But that finding shelter ( affordable on the housing allowance they give you) was up to me!

While I was homeless there were 2 churches, Wednesday and Friday night (one day each) that had hot meals soup kitchens. They used to put out signs on the day of the meal, but no longer. 2 hot meals a week DOES NOT SATISFY HUNGER. While homeless, no phone (, days before cells) no address, no money to buy a paper, one may not know where to find food Pantries and free soup kitchens.

Someone said no one should go hungry, Obviously that person has NEVER BEEN HOMELESS.

Heck, I didn't even have a car to live in!! Nothing but a back pack and fortunately winter clothes, and necessary bare minimum docs to prove who i was..

DSS was 12 miles away from where i "lived", a very looooong walk when your belly is empty. Fortunately my state has returnable bottles/cans and I could collect enough for a bus ride to DSS, but had too walk back "home".

When you are homeless you have no way to find out where food is if you didn't already know!!!!

Meals on wheels is NOT FREE, at least in my area.

Good luck to those with tight budgets!

Old 09-01-2019, 02:05 PM

7,226 posts, read 4,615,545 times
Locally for years we had a ton of men’s shelters but nothing for women and children. We now have one for them. Here a homeless person can get general assistance for 3 months but it’s only 200 a month. We have local groups feeding the homeless every night and the city is trying to stop it. Here meals on wheels is sliding scale based on income and it’s free to some.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:18 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,725,931 times
The government will take care of them.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/12/health...-the-homeless/

Old 09-01-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Locally for years we had a ton of men’s shelters but nothing for women and children. We now have one for them. Here a homeless person can get general assistance for 3 months but it’s only 200 a month. We have local groups feeding the homeless every night and the city is trying to stop it. Here meals on wheels is sliding scale based on income and it’s free to some.
This is interesting. Do you have more information?

Old 09-01-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The government will take care of them.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/12/health...-the-homeless/
What the hell is wrong with people?

Old 09-01-2019, 03:21 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,345,228 times
In my rural area south of Tucson, AZ there are the following:

Three food banks, one run by a church and the others by the Community Food Bank
A senior lunch program run by Catholic Social Services
A produce distribution program selling 70# of produce for $12
Two churches offering one free lunch twice a month each
Meal on Wheels

There are Dial a Rides that will get you to most of these locations as well as a grocery store.

DO I feel that is adequate for the Community? Do I think that all nutritional needs are met by these programs? NO.

Senior nutrition is much more complex than having food delivered to them. What good is delivery service if it is limited to those within 5 miles? What good is home delivery if the local store, like the one closest to me is significantly more expensive than Tucson locations (Safeway)? What good is food delivery for older people when those most in need do NOT have internet access or computers.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:25 PM

732 posts, read 392,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What the hell is wrong with people?

Hey, it's a tricky matter.

. Feed the homeless, you get more homeless.
. Don't feed the homeless, they starve or burn down the town somehow.

The fact the problem exists in the US in places with all types of government shows (to me) that no one has a handle on the problem. I certainly don't remember the problem being much of an issue growing up, but I'm not sure what the difference is/was.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:28 PM

732 posts, read 392,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In my rural area south of Tucson, AZ there are the following:

Three food banks, etc.

When I was in graduate school at the university there, homeless people and food banks were a thing on nobody's radar (aside from one guy who looked like the 'Aqualung' album cover who hung out by the front gate). So what changed?

Old 09-01-2019, 03:42 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,462,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Hey, it's a tricky matter.

. Feed the homeless, you get more homeless.
. Don't feed the homeless, they starve or burn down the town somehow.

The fact the problem exists in the US in places with all types of government shows (to me) that no one has a handle on the problem. I certainly don't remember the problem being much of an issue growing up, but I'm not sure what the difference is/was.
A large part of it imo is mentally ill people who will not accept help......i.e. they wont come in off the streets even if you give them a place to go.

My town is in the process of deciding to pass a law for one homeless guy who has been living complete with all his worldly possessions enhanced by all the goodies people bring him to help him on the most prominent bench in our very charming downtown lol. They are giving the social services people a chance to help him first.

They tried to get the homeless shelter to put a bench on their property thinking that might be a way to transition him to the shelter but he wouldn't have any of it.

He has family. He has friends. He simply will not accept help because he's mentally ill. But, not enough to be institutionalized.

It's crazy. He really should be in some sort of institution for his own good.

Meanwhile, they gave up rousting the small group of homeless camping in the woods and just keep an eye on them. Various charities in town take them food, pet food for their dogs, tents, blankets, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement