Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 05:32 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Hey, it's a tricky matter.

. Feed the homeless, you get more homeless.
. Don't feed the homeless, they starve or burn down the town somehow.

The fact the problem exists in the US in places with all types of government shows (to me) that no one has a handle on the problem. I certainly don't remember the problem being much of an issue growing up, but I'm not sure what the difference is/was.
You apparently have never been homeless.

Feeding the honeless doesn't lead to more homeless! Whereever did you get that idea???

While there are some who dont care if they are homeless, and may even prefer it, the vast majority ( myself included at that time) would rather have a HOME to go to to lay their head every night.

Homelessness is caused by lack of job, medical issues, lack of employment that actually pays people to afford the housing in the area of the job (Google is changing it by building housing, but many $100k+ employees at Google were sleeping in cars in the parking lot because housing costs were waaaaay out of line with even those wages...and it wasn't just one or two. Several Google employees also live in campers and park wherever they can for the night), employment that PAYS, regardless of what the job title is. Enough to afford housing and eat and transportation to the job and save for retirement.

My area is a service industry driven economy. Its a low economy.
Basically retail and food service. We have something like 150 restaurants on a 5 mile strip of town, if its even that. Same with retail, but i think there are more retail outlets than that.
All pay the state minimum wage. Hundreds of people who are the "working poor ", who rely on foid banks to make ends meet.
I guarantee you that if a family DOES have a house, paid for( usually inherited) 75% don't carry hazard insurance, and are just one fire away from homelessness. Or a bad storm knocking down a tree.

And the homeless? No one will hire them. How are tyey supposed to be homed uf they have no home.

When i got cash benefits in the late 90s, my allotment was just $175 / month. Try and rent with that, especially with no references or no "previous address" to check for a landlord.

You try living on maybe $275,(today's money?) And $125 in food stamps a month. See WHERE youd have to oive in your area!!!

Sheesh

Old 09-01-2019, 05:33 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
Glasses are often not covered for the poor, so who can read those cookbooks? I am female and have a boys & girls cookbook, that's my level of cooking.

When it says 1 garlic clove, I put in one garlic clove. I know for sure it's correct since I only bought one garlic clove.
If you can be on the internet posting messages, you can quickly google recipes, you don’t need cookbooks. I have tons of them and have not been using them.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:38 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Hey, it's a tricky matter.

. Feed the homeless, you get more homeless.
. Don't feed the homeless, they starve or burn down the town somehow.

The fact the problem exists in the US in places with all types of government shows (to me) that no one has a handle on the problem. I certainly don't remember the problem being much of an issue growing up, but I'm not sure what the difference is/was.
That doesn't make pouring bleach on food to keep homeless people from eating a rational solution. It's a DEMENTED solution.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:48 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
That doesn't mean she got them from the food stamps. Beer is a non food item, and all the groceries, both food, and non food get checked out at once. Then after you pay for the food items with your snap card the computer separates the non food items out, and you pay for those on your own. No way she paid for the beer with snap.
I think what they're saying is that if she has money for beer, she doesn't need SNAP.

As someone pointed out already, her drinking a beer does not mean she bought the beer.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:36 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
$10 a day is $300 a month, and a lot more than the upper limit for a single person which is about $193. Aldis are not nation wide. I had never heard of them before I went to NC for a visit.
Aldi is very low cost, but I don't consider them a full service grocer.

There is no butcher on site. All the meat is prepackaged from elsewhere. Some of their stuff is good - occasionally they'll have something like berries half off the mainline grocers. The stores are much smaller than something like Kroger and the middle is almost always various household goods.

The rural areas here have Food City, a regional chain, and that's really it. Some have a Walmart.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:44 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Personally, I'd exclude all processed foods from SNAP benefits. It takes 30 to 45 minutes to prep and bake yellow sheet cake and another 10 minutes to frost/decorate it. Pineapple upside-down cake is more like an hour to get the brown sugar/pineapple caramelized. Why should my tax dollars fund someone too apathetic to bake a birthday cake?

When I was unemployed at the Great Recession, I learned how to bake.
Let's see what you feel like doing when you are 80, and in constant pain with tiredness from declining, or non existent hormones, lol. And besides, your profile says one of your interests is cooking. What you enjoy doing, and are good at is not the norm for many of the elderly. For many of us cooking is a necessary evil. At least it is for me. And then you want to remove processed foods from snap too? What are you trying to do, kill us off sooner than it would be, or remove what few joys we have? What a fun guy.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Aldi is very low cost, but I don't consider them a full service grocer.

There is no butcher on site. All the meat is prepackaged from elsewhere. Some of their stuff is good - occasionally they'll have something like berries half off the mainline grocers. The stores are much smaller than something like Kroger and the middle is almost always various household goods.

The rural areas here have Food City, a regional chain, and that's really it. Some have a Walmart.

If you're trying to eat on $50/week, you can eat well and a completely balanced diet shopping exclusively from Aldi. A butcher on site is a huge labor cost. You can't do that as a discount grocer. You don't have the margins to support it. On a $7/day food budget, you're buying your protein on sale and bulk as much as possible. You're not going to be buying much beef other than special occasions.

Personally, if I had some backwater IT job making what you make, I'd be paying a lot of attention to food costs and the places you're likely flinging lots of money like rent. You're in your wealth building years and you're not creating wealth.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:42 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
If you're trying to eat on $50/week, you can eat well and a completely balanced diet shopping exclusively from Aldi. A butcher on site is a huge labor cost. You can't do that as a discount grocer. You don't have the margins to support it. On a $7/day food budget, you're buying your protein on sale and bulk as much as possible. You're not going to be buying much beef other than special occasions.

Personally, if I had some backwater IT job making what you make, I'd be paying a lot of attention to food costs and the places you're likely flinging lots of money like rent. You're in your wealth building years and you're not creating wealth.
Sure, you can get the nutritionally complete diet from Aldi. It's possible, but not preferable to a lot of people. If you're on a sub $50/week budget, you're going to go to salvage grocers and do the very most bargain basement shopping that's possible.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:47 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:

yes good advice.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:16 PM

1,142 posts, read 579,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. They don't sell garlic by the clove.

I did that, too, the first time I made a pot roast. Put in a whole bulb of garlic because I didn't realize it breaks into cloves.
See this is why i need the boys and girls cookbook, it tells me this information

That must've been a hell of a pot roast LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement