Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 11:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times

Advertisements

Was just in hospital 4 days and came home yesterday. We are not planning a dinner this year, just a quiet day. Did some errands today and it is Grandparent's Day tomorrow morning at our granddaughter's school so we will attend that. I was very impressed at how the invitation was worded, to be inclusive for all children, including those who do not have a grandparent. Basically any adult special to the child can come, and I like that.

We are expecting the big storm to hit us starting tomorrow night and all Thanksgiving day, so we are content to be at home. They are expecting a lot of snow in Flagstaff - I have seen predictions in the range of 22 to 30 inches. The ski area is already open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 04:50 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
HollyhockGarden: Sorry for your hospital stay and hoping you are feeling fine now. Good idea, take it easy and relax if you can.

We are not kids anymore. You can have a turkey dinner anytime. The most important thing is your healing.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:32 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
The kids are back, full house again. The youngest child was concerned(lol) about our oldest daughter for making pies, specifically pumpkin pie, her favorite, we said we were confident in the lemon meringue pie, which is not her favorite. Oldest daughter said her friends gave reviews on the lemon meringue pie.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:29 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Hollyhock, this is a good Thanksgiving to have a quiet day with all the weather concerns for travel. I’m glad you are out of the hospital and got to enjoy Grandparent’s Day at school.

The storms are not reaching us here, it will be 80 degrees tomorrow and dinner will be out on the lanai at 4:00. We will get a cold front coming through early next week. I’ve been cooking and prepping all evening and just sat down to take a tea break and enjoy the evening breeze. I’ve got two more things to make before I turn in. Then up early and at it again tomorrow morning. DH is cleaning up the messes I am making. He’s the reason I still enjoy hosting holiday dinners: two make the workload light.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:11 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
HG- glad you're out of the hospital.

Major snowstorm forecast for here Thursday night through Saturday with up to 60 inches of snow for the mountains south of me, and around 18" or so for here.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2019, 10:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Estimated 30" of snow on the mountains west/north of Las Vegas. Front came through today. Colder and rain. News channels hint at possible snow in the valley over the next couple of days.

We are not going out in it. People here can't drive when it rains (gets really slippery from the dust that blows in) and they sure can't drive on snow and ice!

Old 11-28-2019, 10:13 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Happy Thanksgiving to all !! It is a cool, cloudy, and breezy day here in the Phoenix area. We are expecting rain down here and lots of snow up in the high mountain country. In fact, they are predicting nearing impassable roads in some areas, for tomorrow. It sounds like the hard rain will now not get here until later today, but the clouds are getting darker.

Tomorrow morning will be an adventure for all those who venture out at the crack of dawn to get Black Friday deals. I will not be out there.

We have had a local news story on tv here, about a contract Amazon delivery driver (they hire people as contract workers to deliver Amazon packages in their own cars) who delivered the pkg to the homeowner, took a picture of the delivered package at the front door, and then the driver took the package back to her car, stealing it. It was all caught on the homeowners video security camera and reported to the police. Amazon reached out and is helping the customer, as it should.

Thank you all for the get well wishes!

Be safe, and have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Old 11-28-2019, 01:53 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Happy Thanksgiving—just had Thanksgiving dinner at 301 on the Shore of Lake Eola Orlando. Now to SIL for desert and wine. Hope everyone enjoys family and friends.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:04 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Hope everyone is having a good day and eating great food.

I think I took a mental stumble the past couple of days. I can usually talk myself out of it but not happening today. Sleeping too much, not eating right (munching my peanut M&Ms), it's very gray and rainy out there.

OK, I know I'm lucky, not fighting snow drifts, wind, freezing temperatures. That is something about Syracuse, NY. When the weather is rotten over most of our country, for some reason, we have a protective wall around us. Yes, we get bad weather but never as bad as reported. Trust me, I've lived here all but one year of my life.

One of the things is, as most of you know, I have a problem with my eyes (glaucoma and had a retinal problem fixed with surgery). I have a bad tendency to not do all the "right" things I'm supposed to do regarding my eye health. Sometimes doing the right thing interrupts the immediate problem..... eye is itchy....not supposed to touch my eye and area directly around it but don't take the time to do what I should do.

OK, so last visit to eye doctor, had a problem I have had several times and once again had injections of gel into both eyes, prescription for steroid pills and drops. That relieved the problem. One of the things I was told by my doctor is to not sneeze "violently" as I always have. No harsh coughing (can't always help that), and for heavens sake no constipation (sorry). These all can put too much pressure on my eyes and are all big time no-nos. Also no squeezing eyes shut.

I have sinus problems/environmental allergies and cannot always control what is going to happen. The other day I had a huge sneeze (sometimes come up fast!) and when I cleared my nose, there was some blood on the right side. No pain, just some blood. It didn't continue. But now my right eye is blurred and not seeing as well as before. I'm upset with myself. Embarrassed, oh gosh not again!!

I have a doctor appointment 12/16/19. Should I wait or should I call him? Not looking for any of you to answer.... it's a question I am asking myself all the time. This seems to be my problem a lot, having to call for an earlier appointment due to a problem.

I like my eye doctor a lot, and I know he has a good sense of humor. But sometimes he'll say "oh I've missed you, too", meaning I called for appt. because I'm missing him.

I know this sound ridiculous.

Any thoughts out there?

Old 11-29-2019, 07:49 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Under a Winter Storm Warning and Avalanche Warning through Saturday. I had a remarkable wonderful Thanksgiving with relatives. I actually laughed, first time in, well since...

Anyway, out for a walk this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement