Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2024, 12:50 PM

2,902 posts, read 1,845,644 times

Advertisements

Thanks JRR, for sharing. Last we/I read, storm coming happy to read you had a visit with your sister, niece; how many miles from your home ? Brings to mind my paternal grandfather, born in Madison, Wisconsin, 1876 !

With modern technology, learned Grandpa, the dance he did was called Flatfoot. Sorta like clogging. He would do this when we visited him in San Francisco. We would ask
"Dance Grandpa". He would smile, start to Flatfoot. (See on YouTube if interested)

Memories of your Grandprarents ?

Happy to know you see the sourwood tree from your office; prayers for your sister.

Wile, happy to know cooler temperatures; no wildfires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2024, 01:30 PM
JRR

8,237 posts, read 5,740,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Thanks JRR, for sharing. Last we/I read, storm coming happy to read you had a visit with your sister, niece; how many miles from your home ? Brings to mind my paternal grandfather, born in Madison, Wisconsin, 1876 !

With modern technology, learned Grandpa, the dance he did was called Flatfoot. Sorta like clogging. He would do this when we visited him in San Francisco. We would ask
"Dance Grandpa". He would smile, start to Flatfoot. (See on YouTube if interested)

Memories of your Grandprarents ?

Happy to know you see the sourwood tree from your office; prayers for your sister.

Wile, happy to know cooler temperatures; no wildfires.
Not much in the way of grandparent memories for me. My paternal grandparents died before I was born. My maternal grandparents did not speak English so there was no communication with them. They were not interested in me nor I them.

Old 05-16-2024, 07:42 PM

403 posts, read 89,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
They were not interested in me nor I them.
How strange I find that. Grandparents usually adore their grandchildren.
I only had interaction with my maternal grandmother. My grandfather died before I was born and my paternal grandparents lived hundreds of miles away. That grandmother was Catalan; more precisely, from the island of Menorca. From her I learned expressions and songs in Catalan that I still remember today. She had arrived in Argentina in 1912, after a chaotic and long ship trip. When I asked her if she would like to go back to her native Menorca, she said "NOOOO!!!I'm not going to do that terrible ship trip again." She didn't realize that we were already in the 80's and that travel was done by plane at that time.

Old 05-17-2024, 12:06 PM

Sailed around the Cape of Good Hope when my grandfather came to San Francisco from the Iberian Peninsula in Spain, 1908; he taught my Mom to speak Castilian Spanish. He died before I knew him. My Mom could speak fluent Spanish, when spoken to, until she died.

Paternal grandparents moved from Indiana to San Francisco late 1930's ?

Now, am older, desire to know more of my family; I'm now the the eldest, I think, not in contact with older kin if living.

Luis, have learned, especially from the Retirement Thread, and in general, you cannot stereotype, thank you for the reminder. Remember a Thread, Leave It To Beaver family ?
Perfect/ideal family. Most Posters had challenges in their lives.

Old 05-19-2024, 03:42 PM

8,181 posts, read 4,066,859 times
I'm getting too old for Electric Daisy Carnival.

Old 05-24-2024, 01:14 PM

48,650 posts, read 35,142,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I'm getting too old for Electric Daisy Carnival.
Then Burning Man is out?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-24-2024, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then Burning Man is out?
I'm in the early stages of planning my costumes.

Old 05-24-2024, 04:45 PM

I've got my Dead & Company tickets for later this summer.

Old 05-27-2024, 07:35 PM

Sandhill Cranes:

Old 05-28-2024, 05:04 PM

Cool, sunny day on the Olympic Peninsula, for an outdoor potluck. Welcomed home 19 year granddaughter who spent a year, like a camp in rural.Pennsylvania. There were about 8 other students, many activities, Bible studies, farm chores.

Her parents flew to.PA for a graduation ceremony, afterwards, drove down to.North Carolina to see friends. So enjoyed hearing their adventures; lots of fellowship, food, included fresh cooked salmon, lots of sausage, macaroni, potato salad, fruit salads. Daughter-in-law made a chocolate trifle, I brought lemon bars for my grandson. He enjoys most anything citrus.

Rain came today, glad it held off till today. Church service, honored veterans, families whose loved ones died serving our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement