Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 09:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Ironic that it's Beethoven---since the poor guy went deaf (not ideal for a composer!).
https://www.classicfm.com/composers/...oss-composing/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 09:03 PM

Today I connected my aids to the TV with Bluetooth. If I'm the only one listening I can turn down the TV volume and it's excellent. If someone needs the volume up it sucks. The sound through BT is delayed so it becomes an echo.

Oh well.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I got offered that feature and foolishly turned it down. I had a pair years ago that you could operate with the touchstone on a landline or cell phone. It was very “buggy,” so I opted not to go with the iPhone adjustments. Tell me I didn’t make a mistake. 🙂
I really think it depends on what you can adjust. So far I'm not overly impressed. After my next appointment that may change. I decided against complexity and asked for the basics. I'm going for the complexity, whatever that entails, so things should be more interesting after my next appointment.

I'll report back.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:26 PM

6,931 posts, read 218,484 times
Mine (Costco KS9) make a sound like a freight train horn. Tonight, they both went off about a second apart.
Sounded like a train was moving through my head from left to right.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:18 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I just wish my husband would wear his. I hate repeating everything, but he is so stubborn and won't wear them.

Ditto here.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:06 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I really think it depends on what you can adjust. So far I'm not overly impressed. After my next appointment that may change. I decided against complexity and asked for the basics. I'm going for the complexity, whatever that entails, so things should be more interesting after my next appointment.

I'll report back.
Thanks. Looking forward to hearing the report. Why are you not impressed right now?

Old 09-30-2019, 10:47 AM

A few things actually. Most need more testing. The problem with any new tech is learning how it works.

I can't send the input from one ear to the other (known as phone mode). With my old aids I would set this up depending on which side my wife is on in a noisy environment. The best I have found with the new ones is to mute the one opposite her so I only get input from one aid. But I still get a lot of noise from the other side that has a tendency to overpower the one that's on. I might be wearing the old ones when we go to a noisy place. I will replace the cone shaped domes for the soft globe ones that came with these if I do. Much more comfortable.

Restaurant mode doesn't seem to do anything. On/off no difference. This is one I need to test some more. When I did before I was already frustrated with the lack of phone mode so I may have been biased.

They will only pair with one Bluetooth device at a time. If I want to change to a different source (TV, computer, etc) I have to go to Google Play, uninstall the app, reinstall the app, run it, and start from scratch to pair. For a brand new device this is ridiculous. Phonak dropped the ball here. There are number of "Roger" devices for listening in a crowd, TV, etc. I don't have any of these yet (hopefully tomorrow) so I don't know if there is a faster way to do it.

I am hoping that the tinnitus setting (not installed yet) will eliminate the constant screaming I hear. Every hearing tech I talk to seems to think that just wearing them will stop it. Nope. Not one iota.

Learning curve...

On the plus side these sit much deeper in the canal and are more comfortable to wear. I really, really like not needing batteries. A lot. I can tweak the settings then save my tweaks with a name. I've toyed with this a bit and will at some time set some up. I need to understand them better first. Some of the settings give noise like static on a radio, but with the ability to tweak them I think I can eliminate that.

Give me a week or two and I'll have a better handle on things. I am exited about the Roger accessory that sets on a table with the multiple microphones I can turn on or off. That should help in a restaurant setting. I hope.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyinOhio View Post
Mine (Costco KS9) make a sound like a freight train horn. Tonight, they both went off about a second apart.
Sounded like a train was moving through my head from left to right.
My ringtone is a train horn. I can hear it!

Old 09-30-2019, 11:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Tek...for restaurant/crowd settings, one of the more basic was one to shut off noise from behind you, concentrating on "The person" facing you? Do you have that?
I passed on multi feature ones ….the Phonac app simply was more of a pain then it was worth and it never did locate both ears

Old 09-30-2019, 12:37 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I just wish my husband would wear his. I hate repeating everything, but he is so stubborn and won't wear them.
Tell him if he doesn't wear them, your next husband will.

Just kidding.

Sort of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement