Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 06:20 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,949,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Why not consult the local providers?
Not anymore.

Rom CNN:

Quote:
Rome (CNN) The Vatican announced Tuesday that Catholics may be cremated but should not have their ashes scattered at sea or kept in urns at home. According to new guidelines from the Vatican's doctrinal office, cremated remains should be kept in a "sacred place" such as a church cemetery.Oct 25, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I think you should call up a local funeral parlor or crematorium & ask for their prices. I think it is cheaper than a regular burial. I think buying a plot both you & your wife, like, now, makes sense. My Dad had a plot, so we knew exactly where to take him, when he died. BTW, 40 years seems overly optimistic.
I was being optimistic at 50 years but 40 might be more reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 07:22 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It can be done either way, but I think the "pod" burials, wherein your entire body is place in a bag in the ground with a tree planted on top and will feed the tree for about 25 years is only available in limited areas, and maybe not even in the USA.

I actually would want that, being a tree-hugging sort, but if it's not possible, I'll have my daughter put my ashes under a tree instead.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/world...ndi/index.html
I like that. But what about sleeping with the fishes? That seems environmentally friendly...part of the food chain, etc.

But probably illegal.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:01 PM

1,348 posts, read 709,459 times
i think about my ashes scattered with my 2 dogs ashes in gig harbor inlet on puget sound wa st where me n my dog have sup paddled for years i need to tell my daughter that

Old 06-22-2020, 12:42 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,696,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Not anymore.

Rom CNN:

I was being optimistic at 50 years but 40 might be more reasonable.
Cremation: it's MUCH less expensive than a coffin. HOWEVER, if a really cheap funeral home handles your remains, the home won't guarantee that the ashes that come to your relatives will be your ashes. (Are you ready for that one? Can you believe that?) Top funeral homes will guarantee that the ashes are yours. But let's get real here:

Do you and your relatives REALLY care? After all, you'll be dead, and your relatives aren't exactly going to have a shrine in their home for your ashes, and probably no one will visit you guys in a cemetery (Catholic or otherwise). So get cremated anywhere. Have a Catholic Mass so all your loved ones can say goodbye and "have closure" (hate that phrase). Let the money that you would have spent on a proper funeral(wasted, wasted, wasted) be given to your heirs. And rest in peace.

My daughter didn't have a funeral (per her wishes). We did have a Mass. Then her husband parceled out her ashes, in plastic sandwich baggies, to her relatives. I have her my portion of her ashes in a nice receptacle on my desk, and I smile every time I think about her and husband's way of 'dividing her up'. LOLOLOLOLOL THAT is what is important -- the memories we have of loved ones when they were still alive (and a widower husband's attempt at doing the 'right thing' LOLOLOLOL). NOT the funeral or lack of it. Unless we're JFK or John McCain -- no one needs a funeral. (Exception: every military man and woman should have a funeral paid for by the government.)

You can give all your grandchildren (or great-grandchildren) money for college tuition -- they will remember THAT all their lives.

I'm slowly but surely giving away my money -- now, before I die -- so that it will go to whom I want it to go. And I'm going to let the city bury me in a public grave. And I laugh every time I think of it. But I AM serious -- that's exactly what I am doing and am going to do.

I wish you the best. As for me, looking at the quite-probable political and economic future of The US, I hope I don't live another five years. NO 'LOL'.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:48 PM

11,147 posts, read 9,784,266 times
I hope that I don't offend you Fran, but the "dividing up the ashes" thing is really not something I would be okay with. While I know I will be dead and unable to know or feel anything, the idea that my remains would be something to be parceled out is repugnant to me. I sort of think of it as if the remains were not cremated and you were giving the head to one relative, and a leg, or arm to another to bury or do what they wish with. It grosses me out. I know I may be in the minority on this, and it's just my PERSONAL feelings, but NO, just NO. My sister was verbally abused by her husband's first wife when he passed. They had been divorced for 15 years and she demanded that my sister divide his ashes and send half to his children in another state. Children who hadn't ever called or visited him in the five long years of his illness and death, or the ten years of his marriage to my sister. The idea of sending "half of him" to anyone else was repellent to her and I.

Last edited by TheShadow; 06-22-2020 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 05:14 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,576,439 times
When my friend’s daughter died she kept most of the ashes but gave some to her sister and grandma. It was comforting to them.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:21 PM

130,567 posts, read 12,152,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I hope that I don't offend you Fran, but the "dividing up the ashes" thing is really not something I would be okay with. While I know I will be dead and unable to know or feel anything, the idea that my remains would be something to be parceled out is repugnant to me. I sort of think of it as if the remains were not cremated and you were giving the head to one relative, and a leg, or arm to another to bury or do what they wish with. It grosses me out. I know I may be in the minority on this, and it's just my PERSONAL feelings, but NO, just NO. My sister was verbally abused by her husband's first wife when he passed. They had been divorced for 15 years and she demanded that my sister divide his ashes and send half to his children in another state. Children who hadn't ever called or visited him in the five long years of his illness and death, or the ten years of his marriage to my sister. The idea of sending "half of him" to anyone else was repellent to her and I.

ITA. I have a cremated family member whos ashes was handed out like candy. I find it disrespectful & tasteless. My wishes are to be scattered at sea, & all at the same time

Old 06-22-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No, of course not. I was just giving OP some things to think about. I certainly didn't mention anyone dividing up his or his wife's ashes. I just think that it was funny that my daughter's husband did what he did, and those are my personal feelings. I didn't say anyone else HAD to be comfortable with it. There was no contention in my family like your sister's. I really am sorry that happened to her.

My personal thoughts and feelings are that funerals are incredibly expensive and a huge rip off. And for what? So that our family and friends can see how popular we were based on the number of people attending our funeral? I'd rather send someone to college.

After all, God doesn't care one bit what kind of funeral we have. I think, based on The Gospels, God does care that we help those who are less fortunate than we are.

My ex-BF had $15,000 set aside just for his casket! I finally convinced him to give it to a reputable agency that helps single, poor mothers -- and he really did.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
ITA. I have a cremated family member whos ashes was handed out like candy. I find it disrespectful & tasteless. My wishes are to be scattered at sea, & all at the same time
I didn't find it exactly appropriate either, but I had no control over it -- her husband did, and he was doing what he thought was right (being considerate of the family), I wouldn't have offended him by saying anything, I did think it was humorous (and, actually, I thought my daughter would have found it humorous also); and, plus, no one cared what I thought -- as it should have been. Having a sense of humor and not taking oneself very seriously are great assets in life. Oh, and thank you being so kind.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:34 PM

130,567 posts, read 12,152,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I didn't find it exactly appropriate either, but I had no control over it -- her husband did, and he was doing what he thought was right (being considerate of the family), I wouldn't have offended him by saying anything, I did think it was humorous (and, actually, I thought my daughter would have found it humorous also); and, plus, no one cared what I thought -- as it should have been. Having a sense of humor and not taking oneself very seriously are great assets in life.

I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement