Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 01:07 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times

Advertisements

We are in our early 60's but purchased a Mausoleum vault nearly 35 years ago. We both intend to be cremated and the vault door indicates that both my wife and I will be interred there. (It is possible to place urns for generations of the whole 'fam damily' in the vault if our descendants so choose!)

Trusts and Wills and Power of Attorney documents were just updated. We will likely do this one more time in 10-15 years.

We have not pre-planned for any Memorial Service. I would prefer a simple urn (~$200) whereas my wife says the cardboard box is fine for her. I would prefer a simple Memorial Service whereas my wife says No Service for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 05:05 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I have not pre-paid anything yet. I hope I'd have time to make that plan if having a lingering-type illness. Have always rather assumed I am a high cancer risk. There is a place in the nearby "big town" that had green burials- ashes into a bucket of potting soil and a sapling or something. But I think that was the facility that got busted for stockpiling bodies or burning the wrong ones or something really sleazy.

Should probably have this in order. I expect I'll be here in this town when/if something happens and I don't have time to plan. Update advance directives, too- no vents if COVID.

It's one thing to assume that I'll be in hospice if cancer, or suicide if dementia, and a car accident is as possible as it's ever been. But thinking of COVID and gee, it could be in a few weeks... rather sobering.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:27 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Orthodox christians cannot be buried in the church cemetery if cremated, except under seriously unusual circumstances.
What in the H is an "Orthodox" Christian? I've heard of Orthodox Jews (totally different!) and "fundamentalists" but you're gonna have to help me on this. Also, what are "seriously unusual circumstances"?

Old 05-28-2020, 05:30 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What in the H is an "Orthodox" Christian? I've heard of Orthodox Jews (totally different!) and "fundamentalists" but you're gonna have to help me on this. Also, what are "seriously unusual circumstances"?
Maybe Eastern Orthodox Catholics?

Like you, I am aware of the use of Orthodox in the name of only a very few religions.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:33 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Call a crematorium directly. When a friend passed 10 years ago it was $1000. No public viewing, no service, no newspaper. Ashes in a nice plastic container. $1000.
That's about the price I'm finding in planning my sister's cremation as she's in hospice now. I've found a very nice urn through Amazon no less, that I think was less than $100. No service or notices included in the cost but I've also found places that will help you design your own funeral "program" that you can send to any family and friends in lieu of an actual service. Of course in the days of COVID-19 it's hard to do any kind of service anyway.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Maybe Eastern Orthodox Catholics?

Like you, I am aware of the use of Orthodox in the name of only a very few religions.
We have an Orthodox Presbyterian church up the road. I never heard of that before but it is apparently a super conservative Calvinist branch/denomination that rejected the mainline Presbyterian church some 80 years ago.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:20 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have not pre-paid anything yet. I hope I'd have time to make that plan if having a lingering-type illness. Have always rather assumed I am a high cancer risk. There is a place in the nearby "big town" that had green burials- ashes into a bucket of potting soil and a sapling or something. But I think that was the facility that got busted for stockpiling bodies or burning the wrong ones or something really sleazy.

Should probably have this in order. I expect I'll be here in this town when/if something happens and I don't have time to plan. Update advance directives, too- no vents if COVID.

It's one thing to assume that I'll be in hospice if cancer, or suicide if dementia, and a car accident is as possible as it's ever been. But thinking of COVID and gee, it could be in a few weeks... rather sobering.
I believe green burials don't involve cremation, just putting your unembalmed body in a cardboard box (or no box, I imagine, is probably okay too) and burying it in a "preserve" type area set aside for this purpose, for natural decomposition in true "dust-to-dust" fashion. Cremation is not really very green due to the burning and sending CO2 and particulates into the atmosphere as a greenhouse gas.

Out of the 7 retirement age acquaintances that have passed since we retired, 5 were sudden, unexpected deaths (2 vehicle accidents, a drowning, a massive coronary, and a suicide) and not long term illnesses.

Last edited by TheShadow; 05-29-2020 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-29-2020, 08:33 AM

295 posts, read 143,640 times
made all the decisions and put it in the new trust so the kids dont have to go nuts with what would mom or dad want - they just need to get a bottle of good tequila for the send off

we did this for all there assets to so there was not bitching or god forbid lawsuit like my wife had to go through when her dad died and brother sued her- what a a hole he is and cluster that was- we did not that to happen so we added very specific language for that too - you never know what their spouses can do -

Old 05-29-2020, 08:34 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That's about the price I'm finding in planning my sister's cremation as she's in hospice now. I've found a very nice urn through Amazon no less, that I think was less than $100. No service or notices included in the cost but I've also found places that will help you design your own funeral "program" that you can send to any family and friends in lieu of an actual service. Of course in the days of COVID-19 it's hard to do any kind of service anyway.
In addition to the actual cremation, you might need to additionally pay for transportation of the body from the point of death to the nearest crematory, for cold storage of the body until the time of cremation, and transportation of the cremains to you ( could be as simple as UPS, or you might be close enough to pick up). If you aren't scattering the ashes, the mausoleum or cemetery may also charge you to open and close the vault, or grave, and if you have any sort of graveside service, and if you haven't paid in advance for a marker, that again would be an extra cost. Just wanted to mention a few expenses people might not be expecting. Newspapers also charge for printing obituaries, even if it's just an online one.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:42 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
We have it all paid for and arrangements made.
I'm not big on funerals. I have never been to one that I thought I would like to have for myself, so my wishes are that a home, backyard commiseration take place so that the neighbors will all be there. I'm not comfortable with "Celebration of Life" stuff either. Let it be known that Listener is gone and he ain't particularly happy about it, either.

FWIW, I am a Vietnam vet and served on River Patrol during the Tet offensive of 68. I would not want military honors, though. I feel that should be reserved for those who died or had military careers that took them away from home for the duration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement