Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 10:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The cavitron ultrasonic tool is really bad if your teeth are sensitive to cold.
I have always had bad sensitivity to cold, but for some reason, the Cavitron doesn't bother me at all.

I have been using Sensodyne Pro-namel toothpaste with the green cap, twice a day, for many years now, and it seems to really work with me not having any more cold sensitivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 01:03 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I have twice and both time sick for 1 day afterwards. I am wondering how necessary this is.
My dentist has a guy who specializes in this in the office and I wonder if he wants to keep him busy, And it's expensive. Does your dentist recommend deep cleaning?

I had two deep cleanings in my late 30s, and despite my OCD dental hygiene following both procedures my gums went south after having a hysterectomy in my mid 40s due to hormonal changes resulting in deep pockets beyond what could be cleaned by even a deep cleaning. At that point I needed to have periodontal surgery if I wanted to try to save my teeth and opted for periodontal laser surgery which was a new procedure at the time that is now replacing the cut and flap surgery. Having this procedure done despite the cost and length of time it took which was nearly a year since I had one quadrant done at a time and my periodontist required two months of healing in between having each quadrant done did indeed save my teeth as I still have all of them 18 years later. But of course I had to maintain very good dental hygiene following which includes brushing, flossing, and using a Waterpik after each meal because I have very tight food trapping teeth as well as cleanings 3 x year.

So to answer your first question is your deep cleaning necessary probably so if you have pockets > 3mm because that is the deepest pocket depth a hygienist can clean with a regular cleaning. And without a deep cleaning bacteria festers in the areas where cleaning can't reach which causes a chronic infection that loosens gums and destroys bone. And with pocket depths 5mm or greater you essentially have a chronic dental infection, and that infection can travel to other places in the body namely the heart which can be a pretty serious issue. So it is not uncommon to feel sick following a deep cleaning because that infection and bacteria beneath the gum line when being cleaned out can escape into the blood stream, and when that happens your immune response kicks into action to kill those escaping bacteria no different than when you have an upper respiratory or other infection. So if you have had this type of reaction before, and if you opt to have the deep cleaning done you may request the dentist order for you a couple of doses of Amoxicillin to start taking a few days prior and after the deep cleaning which will likely eliminate you getting sick.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:34 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Well that^^^ sounds like the answer to why V8 gets sick.

I've found that almost any electric toothbrush is far better than a manual. My husband loves his sonicare, I like my cheap Oral-B electric. My checkups and cleanings have been so much better since I switched to an electric toothbrush. No more scaling and scratching, no more cavities.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:08 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
I am 63 and have been seeing my current dentist for 3 years. I had one deep cleaning (only one in my life). I was surprised they did not do every tooth, just selected ones. I guess it was based on pocket depth. It wasn't very painful IIRC.

I concur with what Nightengale said. When you give blood they don't want you within 7 days of dental work, due to bacteria in bloodstream. It really pushes a lot of mouth germs into your blood.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:09 AM

3,841 posts, read 3,068,256 times
My dentist put me thru the deep cleaning drill early 2019. It took 4 appointments to complete the process. Not fun. Can't remember what it cost.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:06 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'll add to the Sonicare brush try Parodontax toothpaste. This has really helped me, reduced some 5mm pockets to 4mm over the last 6 months.
Hadn't heard of this tooth paste so made a note to try it. Today I opened my goodie bag from yesterday's visit and I see they had put a sample sized tube in it. I'm anxious to give it a try.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:51 AM

904 posts, read 666,403 times
Our insurance covers 3 cleanings a year. Last fall I did get a scaling on my back teeth. Insurance covered all but $40.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:56 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
What are pockets many people mention?

Old 02-12-2020, 10:24 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
This link shows the difference between deep cleaning (also known as scaling and root planing) and routine cleaning

https://www.dentistsatorenco.com/blog/deep-cleaning/

I have had about 3-4 deep cleanings before when the dental hygienists found several gum pockets deeper than 4mm.

I have always been very meticulous with taking care of my teeth (brushing right after eating, using an electric toothbrush + flossing + using a waterpik with 50% hydrogen peroxide then rinsing with Listerine before bedtime). However, I still need to have my teeth cleaned every 3 months (the dentists said it could be due to genetic factors).

Of the deep cleanings which I had before, I think that only one was really needed because I could not followed my dental care routine during a long vacation in Europe (I used a plug adapter but burned my waterpik due to voltage incompatibility). I had some bleeding while brushing so I knew that my gums were in bad condition.

Not until the last time which the dental hygienist claimed that I needed a deep cleaning + very expensive antibiotic injections that I realized that some dental hygienists could manipulate the pocket measurement results. She jabbed the probe deep into my gums (which was very uncomfortable). I refused the treatment and asked for just a routine cleaning. The fact that there was no bleeding at all during the cleaning confirmed that my gums were fine. I had another routine cleaning 3 months later by another dental hygienist (which I requested my dentist to change to after complaining about the previous one). This time my pocket measurements were fine!

From my experience, I think that sometimes a deep cleaning is required but this expensive routine could be a way for dental offices to make money. If you have been taking good care of your teeth and have no symptoms of peridontitis, you only need a routine cleaning.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20354473

Old 02-12-2020, 10:30 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I have, and I did not want it. I think it's just a money grab, and after doing a lot of research on the web, nothing has changed my mind. A few years ago, I went to the dentist for an exam and cleaning using a Groupon because I did not have dental insurance at the time. I was overdue for an exam but not terribly and my oral care was extremely good, maybe 18 months or a little longer since I had gotten a cleaning. The dentist saw me before my teeth were cleaned and told me my teeth were in excellent shape; just a bit stained from all the coffee and tea I drank. I am very good about brushing and floss every day. When the hygienist poked my gums with the little probe, they were all fine except for a few in the back which had some gingivitis, which I know was my fault.

He told me I would have to buy a deep cleaning on that quadrant for $240 and if I didn't, I couldn't get a regular cleaning. He gave me this BS excuse that they were risking their license by giving me a regular cleaning because of liability reasons, blah blah blah. So I was stuck: buy a deep cleaning I felt railroaded into paying for or get no cleaning at all and pay to make an appointment to see another dentist entirely for a cleaning and maybe get stuck buying a deep cleaning from them anyway. So I paid for the deep cleaning.

The deep cleaning felt no different from the regular cleaning. Maybe I did need the deep cleaning. I'm not a dentist, and so I don't know, but if I did, they did not prove this need to me adequately. I was shown no pictures or anything and the dentist didn't talk to me about it at all. It was presented to me as "You need a deep cleaning or you get nothing because we want $240."

The dentist herself didn't tell me I did, since she saw me before the gum test. And I had to pay the entire cost out of pocket : ( I have heard this has happened before to many patients by many dentists, so I suggest that dentists who believe that patients need this service at the very least describe it to the patient thoroughly and how it is different than the regular cleaning, so patients don't feel ripped off by what they might feel is an unnecessary service. Since then when going to the dentist I made it patently clear to them that I will not be suckered into paying for this deep cleaning and if they feel I need it I want a regular cleaning first. I have never been told I need a deep cleaning by any subsequent dentist, so I am skeptical I needed it then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement