Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 06:46 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,127,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, our stores here (SoCal) are fully stocked. I have had no trouble getting laundry detergent.

Do you have a younger friend who could pick some things up for you?
My daughter has gone grocery shopping several times in the past 2 weeks. She has been trying to find mac and cheese that is one of the few foods the grand daughter will eat. She reports lots and lots of empty shelves for all items. My wife went shopping about a week ago. It was a mega grocery store. She got the only piece of fresh fruit or vegetable in the entire store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 07:31 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,431,958 times
I am taking some basic precautions. Sanitizing my hands then the cart with a wipe when I go in. No buffet/salad bar style things, though I haven't seen an open salad bar in a week or two. Some washing of things I wouldn't normally wash.

I bought two ears of shucked corn for $2 today. That was shrink-wrapped. I bought packaged raspberries and blackberries. If those sit out for several days, they will likely go bad.

I try to avoid touching more than I have to in the grocery store. I have moved away from Kroger in favor of a regional grocer because the regional grocer accepts Apple Pay and I don't need to touch the POS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
My daughter has gone grocery shopping several times in the past 2 weeks. She has been trying to find mac and cheese that is one of the few foods the grand daughter will eat. She reports lots and lots of empty shelves for all items. My wife went shopping about a week ago. It was a mega grocery store. She got the only piece of fresh fruit or vegetable in the entire store.
Metro NYC is not indicative of the rest of the country.

We had the mega run on toilet paper, sanitizer, soap, etc., a week or two ago. Sam's was basically raided last Friday right as the worst news was coming out. Walmart has been a disaster for weeks.

With that said, Sam's now has adequate stock of most everything but toilet paper, sanitizer, and occasionally wipes or other disinfectants as of Tuesday when I went. The canned goods were back at normal amounts. Fresh beef and chicken are somewhat limited - pork is back to normal. Frozen meat and veg are mostly normal.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:53 PM

14,377 posts, read 11,783,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Metro NYC is not indicative of the rest of the country.

We had the mega run on toilet paper, sanitizer, soap, etc., a week or two ago. Sam's was basically raided last Friday right as the worst news was coming out. Walmart has been a disaster for weeks.

With that said, Sam's now has adequate stock of most everything but toilet paper, sanitizer, and occasionally wipes or other disinfectants as of Tuesday when I went. The canned goods were back at normal amounts. Fresh beef and chicken are somewhat limited - pork is back to normal. Frozen meat and veg are mostly normal.
When panic-stricken shoppers wipe out the entire supply, it takes a little while to restore the inventory. We had about a week or ten days when many items were in short supply and shelves were cleared out, but not any more. Grocery stores are more or less back to normal here, too (SoCal).

Old 03-27-2020, 08:12 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,097,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We have found a full stock of fruit and veggies when ever we go to the local Food Lion or Wegmans. Even got chicken the other day. That had been gone.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
When panic-stricken shoppers wipe out the entire supply, it takes a little while to restore the inventory. We had about a week or ten days when many items were in short supply and shelves were cleared out, but not any more. Grocery stores are more or less back to normal here, too (SoCal).
I think the Friday when the National Emergency was announced, the stores were wiped out. My husband observed the same thing when he went to Ralph’s, same with my daughter in LA county. I remember she texted and asking us why.
Things have been back to normal since.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:24 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,962,119 times
We got chicken thighs and breasts in our last Whole Foods order. Just looked at the amazon Prime WF site and they were still available.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:26 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We have found a full stock of fruit and veggies when ever we go to the local Food Lion or Wegmans. Even got chicken the other day. That had been gone.
I don’t eat chickens, only game hens, but I’ve noticed everybody stored up on chicken at WholeFoods.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:29 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,422,733 times
I found this article helpful, and practical.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/...ive-guide.html

Old 03-27-2020, 09:32 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,982,238 times
This thread is about sanitizing food you bring home. See other thread for shopping.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,572,018 times
Here is how it works. Go shopping, wipe down before you get in the car. Unload groceries then wash hands. You only have two options. Don’t buy food out of fear or buy food. Delivered food is not the answer. You have no guarantee delivery person is virus free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement