Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 09:50 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,714,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Not really. The 1% death rate is largely confined to the population that is over 65 which is about 15% of the total. You do the math. It is not good.
1/2% date rate -- MAYBE.

And the 65+ is about 15% of the total -- is THAT all you took away from my post?

You know, I live in a former 55+ retirement community. My third in 10+ years. I have kept moving because I have kept thinking that I just hit a bad community -- depressed, mean, snarky old people who stay in their apartment, with the drapes/blinds closed, and watch TV 24/7. But nothing had changed. It has been that way every place I've lived.

I won't even go grocery shopping during senior times. It's like going to a funeral where everyone is scared to death. I go now during regular store hours -- we keep our distance, we don't touch -- but there is talk and even laughter.

I'm with Bill Gates -- there is nothing that is really going to help this virus, in The US, until the whole country shuts down. Until then, we'll either get sick or we won't. We'll either die or we won't. (Some of us are going to die anyway within the next year or two, from an illness, a heart attack, an injury, a car accident.) Social distancing and staying at home will help, of course. But not much else will. That means that going to the grocery store is a risk -- and wiping down stuff isn't going to help all that much.

I mean, seriously -- a whole topic on grocery safety? You don't have anything better to do?

This is probably the most excitement you guys have had in years. I bet you are just loving being scared. And you keep fueling the fear among yourselves.

Be my guest. Just remember what a waste of life and time this all is. And your snarky replies to my post -- I won't be reading them, because I won't be on a City Data. I realized today that every time I come to C-D and read the posts, I leave depressed -- and a bit angry. What good is that.

I wish you all the very best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 09:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,826,966 times
I think Bill Ackman said that, not a Bill Gates. Bill Gates said the so called experts overestimate the death number.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:38 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,189,196 times
Quote:
My daughter has gone grocery shopping several times in the past 2 weeks. She has been trying to find mac and cheese that is one of the few foods the grand daughter will eat. She reports lots and lots of empty shelves for all items. My wife went shopping about a week ago. It was a mega grocery store. She got the only piece of fresh fruit or vegetable in the entire store.
Annie's is a good brand kids like but probably hard to find now. Maybe, she should just make it from scratch, doesn't need a lot of ingredients (pasta, milk, cheese of choice, seasoning) and would probably even be healthier, less salt, taste better, too. Pasta is easier to get now - they were all gone before.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:20 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,139,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Annie's is a good brand kids like but probably hard to find now. Maybe, she should just make it from scratch, doesn't need a lot of ingredients (pasta, milk, cheese of choice, seasoning) and would probably even be healthier, less salt, taste better, too. Pasta is easier to get now - they were all gone before.
Did you ever have kids? Do you have grand kids?

My grand daughter is absolutely set in her eating. It is Kraft mac and cheese or no mac and cheese. On top of that Kraft mac and cheese is one of the few foods she will eat. Anyway, the issue is finally resolved. My wife was able to buy her 6 cases. I am not sure how many individual boxes in a case, but the pile was about 3 feet high.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post

I mean, seriously -- a whole topic on grocery safety? You don't have anything better to do?........

I realized today that every time I come to C-D and read the posts, I leave depressed -- and a bit angry. What good is that....
Yes, this thread is about safe handling of food. Many of us are trying to avoid contact with Covid. I know I am. Both my wife and I are high risk based on medical conditions and age. If you are not concerned and do not care, then I have no idea why you would read the thread and then go on the attack as you usually do.

I can only hope you are indeed leaving the CD forums. I for one am not interested in your depressed, angry, and argumentative comments. Certainly you go way beyond just disagreement or presenting an alternate point of view. Instead there is always the anger that you mentioned.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:16 AM

2,496 posts, read 1,587,607 times
I go to the grocery store here in my neighborhood about once a week or about every ten days. I get groceries for my wife’s parents as well and drop them off at their house. I wear gloves the entire time and am careful to avoid getting close to anyone while at the store. When I get home I wipe the car down and all of the groceries with Lysol. I wash the fruit and veggies. I spray the bags. I wash the gloves, and, of course, my hands.

This is a nuisance but really only takes about 15 minutes. It’s worth it.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:37 AM

14,419 posts, read 11,871,152 times
Quote:
Did you ever have kids? Do you have grand kids?

My grand daughter is absolutely set in her eating. It is Kraft mac and cheese or no mac and cheese. On top of that Kraft mac and cheese is one of the few foods she will eat. Anyway, the issue is finally resolved. My wife was able to buy her 6 cases. I am not sure how many individual boxes in a case, but the pile was about 3 feet high.
It's amazing what some parents and grandparents will tolerate. When items are in short supply due to a nationwide crisis seems like a good time for kids to learn that the world doesn't circle around them and not to be so picky. (Yes, I have three kids; I didn't feed them prepackaged junk so they never decided that prepackaged junk was the only thing they would eat.)

Old 03-28-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's amazing what some parents and grandparents will tolerate. When items are in short supply due to a nationwide crisis seems like a good time for kids to learn that the world doesn't circle around them and not to be so picky. (Yes, I have three kids; I didn't feed them prepackaged junk so they never decided that prepackaged junk was the only thing they would eat.)
I should have thanked coolgato for the suggestion as well as thanking you; however, I can tell you a kid with an eating disorder is no fun. Sadly it is an illness, not just being picky. Hopefully she grows out of it but for now virtually everything is "yucky" and she just will not eat it.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:45 AM

14,419 posts, read 11,871,152 times
Quote:
I should have thanked coolgato for the suggestion as well as thanking you; however, I can tell you a kid with an eating disorder is no fun. Sadly it is an illness, not just being picky. Hopefully she grows out of it but for now virtually everything is "yucky" and she just will not eat it.
Sorry to hear about that. Is she getting therapy, I hope?

Old 03-28-2020, 08:47 AM

107,292 posts, read 109,648,178 times
we went to target today .... very little line ...shelves were stocked well .... they even gave you a large bottle of hand sanitizer on the way in ...you bought it but they did have ......

we even got the elusive clorox wipes ...

there was no foods we couldnt get and that is here in nyc in queens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement