Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 05:50 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,720,470 times

Advertisements

Our only travel plans were postponed. They are all flexible due to not needing to fly, and we had not booked hotels because COVID arrived so early in the year, with no end in sight.

There is a trip or two on our “someday” wish list that would require flying and more advanced lodging reservations. We’ll just wait and see. Meanwhile, as long as we can drive, it’s not the end of all travel.

On the flip side of travel, the policy this year is NO GUESTS. We would have had someone here this spring. Not any time soon, and the same goes for visiting others. The risk isn’t worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 06:03 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,380,789 times
My wife and SIL cancelled their sister trip to AZ. They are planning on going RV camping at a couple campgrounds. Wait and see what happens. We are planning on taking the RV ourselves. Not sure where, lets see whats open.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:28 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,309,279 times
We don’t travel in the summer. The private beach is a mile. The dinghy dock with the boat floating on a nearby mooring is 0.8 mile. Memorial Day to mid September, we don’t go anywhere.

The late-September Galicia Spain trip looks unlikely. We are on frequent flyer points so we should be able to put the miles back and get the fees and taxes refunded without paying anything. We would have to get a voucher for $200 worth of EasyJet tickets.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:42 AM

2,282 posts, read 1,677,141 times
We will not consider any travel this year and probably into 2021. Until there is a vaccine we would never consider going through an airport or staying in hotels. There is no way public or restaurant bathrooms, for example, can be kept safe from the virus.

Luckily we are comfortable in our home and yard plus we can continue outside exercising and sport activities with social distancing. We are content with that.

We have traveled throughout our lives and really have no pressure to resume traveling now. The medical people in our family have also raised doubts about the effectiveness of a “rushed to market” vaccine so we will take a wait and see attitude in any case.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:02 AM

403 posts, read 240,862 times
One thing that kind of worries me is what limited activity for several months may do to mechanical parts of the planes. They do get inspected, but still... I hope they will be first flown by test pilots on test runs before resuming the usual service.

A couple of days ago, there was a horrific accident on a newly resumed passenger route in Pakistan. It was a medium-sized plane, about 100 passengers, evidently some problem with landing gear... two people survived, however, since the plane did not crash in flight but during regular landing, a lot of people were apparently still conscious after the crash, and just burned to death. One of the two survivors said he could not see anything except flames, and just heard people screaming around him.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:00 PM

1,131 posts, read 388,598 times
I usually take a 4-month journey out of the FL heat to the mountains out west or NC/Virginia. I'm pretty healthy, in my 50's but I'm taking the pandemic seriously and will shelter in place. I get out of the house for 4-6 mile runs and lap swimming at my YMCA where I can pretty much get in and out without much contact w/ anyone. In a way, I feel like I'm doing my part as a citizen more than fearing catching anything. I worked in health care and was exposed to some really sick patients (TB, HIV, severe pneumonia, contagious GI illnesses) over the years in some austere conditions (Afghanistan, Central America, Balkans) and kind of had a fearless approach - not reason to be reckless anymore. I respect the NIH and CDC for what they're trying to do.

I still have a couple of Chicago Cubs and Milwaukee Brewers baseball tickets that I expected to use and still no refund. Travel camps did give a refund. Yoga Festival that I paid for will be credited to future summers if I attend.

I usually spend a great deal of money while on the road - not this season. Hopefully next year I'll get out there.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:19 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
I just got back from a long weekend in Myrtle Beach. I guess I'm done with any long distance travel for the summer.

First, even in an "open" state like SC, maybe a third of restaurants that can do dine-in actually are. Finding somewhere to sit down for a meal. You are basically eating drive-thru food.

When you do get where you are going, who knows what retail, restaurants, attractions, etc., are even open. I went to an outlet mall yesterday evening. Maybe a third of the stores are open, and most of the ones that were had strict limits on people in the store and queues outside. You need to have a definite idea of where you are going to check and see if it is available and under what conditions before you waste your time.

Many blue states are not opening up much for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't book a trip there and accept any kind of normalcy by the end of the summer.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:58 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,066,140 times
We were supposed to go to DC in March and that was canceled. The miles were returned to my FF account without charge so that’s a good thing. I’ll use the miles for our Christmas trip instead, tickets booked. I was supposed to go to LA for a big watch event next Saturday. That was a one-day trip, out in the morning, back that night. The event was canceled and already refunded. I’ll try to go next year instead and extend it to attend a reception the night before. My wife’s great niece’s birthday is in March so we’ll attempt to go to São Paulo in 2021.

“Man plans, God laughs.”

Old 05-25-2020, 06:29 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,679,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybgrnle View Post
One thing that kind of worries me is what limited activity for several months may do to mechanical parts of the planes. They do get inspected, but still... I hope they will be first flown by test pilots on test runs before resuming the usual service.
I've thought about this too already! The planes themselves and all the staff in the airline industry. It was a well oiled machine and now it's not.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:44 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,961,448 times
I am supposed to be on a trip right now to Italy, Croatia, Montenegro and Greece. I postponed it to next year around the same time.

I have a trip to Paris and the Provence section of France scheduled for August and I intend to push that back for a year.

I am hoping to at least take some trips around the region, like to Boston, this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement