Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2020, 12:14 PM

696 posts, read 703,429 times

Advertisements

My groovy groom is perfect for me. We might not agree on everything - we don’t discuss politics nowadays, but we can be ourselves with each other. I find that having the ability to be oneself is vital for happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 12:23 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Plan on being single indefinitely ❗️

Old 08-03-2020, 12:33 PM

913 posts, read 885,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What were the annoying things? Don't leave us hanging like that!
So he is the most annoying Yankee fan you will ever meet. I don't just mean he likes them, he is crazy with it. Let me give some examples, if they are losing he would make everyone change seats to improve their luck. But if they were doing well, he would make everyone keep eating what they were eating or sitting where they were sitting. If you are eating pretzels and they are winning, and you go for a chip he would freak out. Needless to say, I had a lot of fun with this.

No onto me. I am a clean freak. I know it's very annoying to the average person, but I can't help myself. I like everything where it belongs and shiny clean. This is where he gets even for the baseball stuff.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:33 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Move to Stepford.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:11 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Are you male or female? If the latter, good luck finding anyone. You may have to settle for "stands upright" and "breathes in and out." ... .

Old 08-03-2020, 01:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

Plan on being single indefinitely ❗️
It has been proven that there is more chance of an older woman being struck by lightning than of finding a partner at older ages!

(as an aside, older women who have been married for many decades and then their husband passes away, and they write on a forum and assume they will be finding a new companion, as if finding one is no problem whatsoever and almost a given, seem to think it's similar to when one was in one's 20's or 30's or somewhat easy.....)

Old 08-03-2020, 03:03 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybgrnle View Post
My last partner of prior 11 years died suddenly 8 years ago, and I haven't had any need for romance after that (I am female, he was male), although two brief flings kind of happened out of nowhere in the course of travels in the recent years :-). But this topic reminds me of something from my earlier life, when both I and a much earlier boyfriend (than the last one who died) were around 30. He was a smart, wonderful person, and I believe I wasn't a total loser either :-). We were insanely attracted to each other, we both thought there couldn't humanely be a better looking person in the world than him/me :-). We deeply cared about each other. But... he was deeply religious (Catholic) and I was an agnostic (raised Catholic), and he absolutely wanted kids while I absolutely didn't. The breakup was incredibly painful for both of us, but inevitable, at his initiative (as a result of his long discussions with his confessor priest). He married a woman from his church, and it has been a very happy marriage for the past almost 30 years (while I went on to have a different very happy relationship with someone else) though his wife actually later told me that, prior to the wedding, he honestly asked her whether she would still wed him knowing that he loved her, but he had never loved anyone as much as me. So there you have it :-). Some requirements really can be absolute for a romantic partnership, though bad teeth can always be fixed :-).

IMHO the most valid reason to reject an otherwise "perfect" partner. Although I would smoke this deal breaker out on the first date (or better yet on a website!). A religiously driven "need to breed" is probably the worst thing a potential partner can present, although, since I am 62, probably it will never come up again.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:28 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,147 times
Quote:
I'm single and have been for a long time.

I have been married (more than once).

Right now, at this moment in my senior life, the "perfect mate" would have the following qualities (in no order):

* Good teeth/breath
* Good health
* Financial stability
* Emotional stability
* Easy-going personality
* Fun and good-natured
* Moral and ethical
* Squeaky clean (bathes at least once per day)
* Good listener
* Loves to travel (short or long trips) - and is spontaneous
* Appreciation for other cultures
* Politically liberal
* Spiritual and aware
* Handy and helpful
* Good cook or prep cook
* Interested in lots of stuff
* Non-traditional
* Artistic
So is this a list of what your last spouse lacked ... with a few new wishes?

Old 08-03-2020, 03:29 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
There was a many pages thread on here about a year ago I don't remember the title where most older women don't want to remarry to my great dismay. They have their own money, they loved their husbands and don't figure on a replacement, they don't want to cook and clean for a man, they don't want to take care of a sick old man.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
I'm single and have been for a long time.

I have been married (more than once).

Right now, at this moment in my senior life, the "perfect mate" would have the following qualities (in no order):

* Good teeth/breath
* Good health
* Financial stability
* Emotional stability
* Easy-going personality
* Fun and good-natured
* Moral and ethical
* Squeaky clean (bathes at least once per day)
* Good listener
* Loves to travel (short or long trips) - and is spontaneous
* Appreciation for other cultures
* Politically liberal
* Spiritual and aware
* Handy and helpful
* Good cook or prep cook
* Interested in lots of stuff
* Non-traditional
* Artistic
No kidding.

Yeah...with that list.....you know........you’re gonna be alone.....a long time. Unless you're smoking hot....and even then.....you better bring something to the table if he’s bringing all that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement