Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 12:37 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times

Advertisements

I like to sit on my porch and watch birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 01:09 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
My #1 outdoor activity is exploring places by bicycle, usually 30 to 40 mile day trips. Except for during 5 weeks in mid-winter, I have been riding an average of 4 or 5 days per week.

Sometimes I take off from my apartment and ride a loop route, or other times I take the train in one direction and ride back home. The trains give me many options, because they leave Chemnitz in almost all directions on the map. I have a monthly train pass for the entire region, so I can roll my bike on and off the train where ever in the area I want. It is also an adventure, because I often ride on roads or paths I have never been on, pass through towns for the first time, or see unique things for the first time. Good maps and navigation skills are a must in addition to having the energy to pedal the tough hills in this area.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:16 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Fishing!

Old 03-03-2021, 03:21 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Currently? Napping in the warm sun. It helps my old bones.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:23 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Outdoor dining!

Old 03-03-2021, 03:41 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
I enjoy all outdoor activities be it hiking, walking, birding, gardening, yard work, flying and all water sports.

Water sports are my favorite hobbies be it rowing, kayaking, boating, sailing, scuba diving or wind surfing.

I no longer have access to a sail boat or having a place to wind surf since moving from NY to Idaho. I have been rowing (both sweep rowing with a rowing team or solo sculling) almost daily when weather permits for over ten years.

Since moving to Idaho, I don't have an opportunity for sweep rowing (the closest rowing club is 7 hours away in CDA!). Living on the river gives me a chance to scull or kayak as often as I wish pretty much year around. In NY, I could only be out on the water from mid April to end of October due to all the snow and ice on the Hudson in the winter.

The Snake River where we live is a busy bird migration path. There are no better ways to watch birds than being on the river. For the last week or two, every time that I am out on the river, I am surrounded by thousands of birds flying over head, on the water, building nests on island tall trees, courting and chirping in bullrush and cattail patch swamp along river banks.

I am having a lot of fun rowing by the island with many cormorants, great blue herons and white egrets rookies. When we first moved here, there were only two cormorant rookeries on tall trees at the island edge. The next year, some blue herons and egrets 'stole' few cormorant nests. It wasn't long before they established their own rookeries on several nearby tall trees.

Last year, I observed then learned that the male cormorants occupied the nests first (starting from the highest nest). It was so much fun watching the females circled over to inspect the nest and the male several times (3 circuits from high to low just like us pilots checking out a landing strip). It was about 1 of 3 times that a female decided to land and join her new mate.

This year, the blue herons came first. I lucked out and was next to the island shortly after the 1st one arrived. Within 30 minutes, there were 6 more to land occupying nests also from the tallest ones. There are now at least 20 nests within a week with half of them with 2 herons. I will have to research and find out whether the males or the females occupy the nest first. Few years ago, we made a documentary video of a blue heron rookery in NY. It was the males which flew around gathering sticks for the females to build or refurbish the nest - incredible 'basket weaving' skill with just their long beaks.

For the last 3 years of living here, I wake up every morning counting my blessings for living in an great birder/rower paradise.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:43 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Walking, cloud watching.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:40 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I'm with you and hiking/walking. I also like cycling on simple paths, and I love birding. The nice thing about birding is you can do it just about anywhere, and there are ways to do it that are anything from sedentary to very athletic, depending on your abilities and desires. It also keeps you learning new things and going new places.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:16 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Photography, fly fishing, and gardening. I have been at it for a while but more in retirement. I play bocce, also.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:33 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
In the winter months in Arizona we are hiking 2 or 3 times a week, walking the rest. During the summer it’s swimming laps daily.
Photography and I’d say I’m more the accidental birder rather than seeking out birrds, although I did spend time hunting out the spoonbill at a local lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement