Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2021, 10:26 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times

Advertisements

Yes we still have tv & we probably always will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 09:12 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
We're retired and we have 3 TVs. A 60" in the living room, a 50" in our bedroom and a 40" in our office. They are all "smart tvs" but we use Roku on two of them and Apple Tv on the one in the living room. We subscribe to Sling for $35 a month and have an antenna that interfaces with Sling (OTA channels show up on our Sling channel guide and can be recorded). We have gigabit internet from an ATT reseller, Sonic I think, that costs $69 a month. We also have Netflix and Prime. We used to have Xfinity and the rates kept going up and up, when we cancelled it I think we were paying over $200 a month and it would go out once or twice a week for a few hours.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:55 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I thought that retired people spend the day watching TV.
Murder She Wrote, Mattlock, and Love Boat????

Old 04-08-2021, 12:22 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
I can’t imagine even just having one TV let alone zero. I have an 85” in the living room, right outside that a 50” outdoor rated TV (they’re super expensive so I went with 50” because it’s still $2,500), two 75” TVs in the game room for both gaming and watching two sports games at the same time (like today Yankees and Golden Knights), another 75” in the home gym for sports or TV while working out, and a 32” I just use for retro gaming (mini consoles) in my office.

The outdoor TV is probably the easiest and best integrated for non-tech savvy people because it has Apple TV built in, MLB app, Netflix, Amazon, Paramount+, etc. Every streaming service basically.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Murder She Wrote, Mattlock, and Love Boat????
BITE YOUR TONGUE!

Shows in the library:

The Magician
The Love Boat
The Avengers
The New Avengers
Doctor Who (classic)
Blakes 7
Battlestar Galactica (both)
Caprica
China Beach
Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie
Charmed
Buffy
Angel
el Senor de los Cielos
Baa Baa Black Sheep
Briscoe County Jr.
The Wild Wild West
Mission Impossible
The Adventurer
Man in a Suitcase
MI-5
Columbo
McCloud
Banacek
McMillian & Wife
Get Smart
Max Headroom
The Saint
The Baron
The Rookies
SWAT
Charlie's Angels
Honey West
I Spy
The Man/Girl from UNCLE
Sliders
Primeval
Robin Hood (several series)
Sharpe
Inspector Morse/Lewis/Lynley
A Touch of Frost
The Streets of San Francisco
Barnaby Jones
Mannix
Dempsey&Makepeace
The Mod Squad
UFO
Space:1999
Defiance
Killjoys
Dark Matter
Frasier
Humans
The Six Million Dollar Man
Bionic Woman (both)
Judging Amy
Picket Fences
MTM
Maude
Barney Miller
The Bob Newhart Show
The Jeffersons
That Girl
Hawaii 5-0 (classic)
Star Trek (before Enterprise)

(more)

........but heaven forbid, Murder She Wrote or Matlock!

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 04-08-2021 at 09:55 AM..

Old 04-08-2021, 12:15 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
I like watching The Rifle Man when I am doing my elliptical. We also watch Andy Griffith in the evenings when nothing better is on.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:10 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,695,452 times
TV yes, cable no. We mirror off an iPad on one set in the den for free and stream/use a digital antenna off the main TV for $11.99 a month on Hulu.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:51 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,671 times
I've had a smart tv with Roku built in for a few years and yesterday I just got around to connecting it for streaming, and I LOVE it. There's a ton of material to watch for free.

Up till now, I've borrowed stuff from the library, but there's a time limit on watching each series or movie, plus it can get complicated to time items so that you always have something in the queue to watch but not so many you can't watch before they're due back. Roku should eliminate that problem. But now I'm going to have to find another reason to walk since I don't have that errand to walk for anymore.

What prompted me to finally set it up is that I got a free month of Amazon Prime and there are a few series on there that my library doesn't have yet, so I watch those while I can get it for free, and I got tired of sitting at my desk chair to watch on my desktop. So I do have to watch that stuff before the free trial ends, just like having to get materials from the library consumed on time, but once I'm done with Amazon stuff, I'm free!

Old 04-10-2021, 09:44 AM

8,338 posts, read 6,423,253 times
I got a Roku and got it going, I must be missing something. All I see is old TV programs none of which I particularly want to watch so after trying it a few times I mostly just watch regular TV.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:03 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I got a Roku and got it going, I must be missing something. All I see is old TV programs none of which I particularly want to watch so after trying it a few times I mostly just watch regular TV.
Did you look at all the channels? Tubi and Vudu are my favorites.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...E_FOR_FREE=Yes

https://tubitv.com/

Yes, they're all shows and movies that have been shown previously, but I've missed a lot of them. Especially the stuff that originated on premium channels like HBO and Showtime. I enjoy going back and watching stuff I missed, especially since there's very little new stuff that I'll tune in to watch as it airs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement