Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 09:19 PM

16,137 posts, read 10,814,743 times

Advertisements

Two. I have one that has a built in VHS player since I have some old family videos and it also is set up for my daughter’s old wii game system. That’s all that TV is used for. I watch TV on a mid sized flat screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 09:32 PM

3,765 posts, read 5,877,884 times
Have 3 TVs, living area sunroom, kitchen and exercise room. I refuse to pay for TV so no cable or dish. Haven't figured out how to get programs through Amazon Prime . Mostly watch PBS, MeTV , and a couple of network shows. Most of CBS,NBC and ABC shows do not interest me. I really don't want the TV to dominate the rooms of the house. Largest TV is 32" in sunroom.

I am getting to hate TVs in restaurants as everywhere you look, several are blaring away.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:34 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,907,826 times
Well I'm an old retired guy and have a 75" 4k in the living room hooked to a killer surround and a 4k BlueRay player, and a 55" 4k in the bedroom, and a 43" 4k in a spare room.

I will never understand why anyone would watch a movie or tv show on a tiny cell phone. Just bewildering to me.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:49 PM

6,361 posts, read 7,799,442 times
I have a TV in the front/living room and another in the bedroom. The bedroom is rarely used, only about once every other month. I have a monthly subscription to Netflix and a yearly subscription to Hallmark, PureFlix, and ESPN+. I got the ESPN+ to watch New Zealand rugby and got the Hallmark and PureFlix when the virus shut everything down last year.

ESPN+ is not broadcasting Super Rugby Aotearoa this year and I rarely watch the others. What I watch almost exclusively is YouTube. From classic movies to fairly recent movies; Roman and Greek history, and every history subject under the sun; videos on hobbies, such as programming languages, computers, tech gadgets, etc.; dog breeds; old rugby matches, Star Trek fan films . . . every subject imaginable is available on YouTube.

Our 55+ community has a DVD lending library and a resident can grab whatever video they want to watch, keep it as long as needed, then return. People are always donating their videos, and I have a bunch to donate too after I decide which ones I don't want to keep.

p.s. As of last week, the "ESPN Fans" YouTube channel is broadcasting the Super Rugby Aotearoa matches this year, live and delayed. I'm happy! The Super Rugby AU matches too, but I'm not as interested in Australian rugby as I am in New Zealand rugby.

p.p.s. I haven't watched commercial television for about thirty years. I'm pretty lost when the discussion in social circles revolves around television shows.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-28-2021, 11:46 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,610,202 times
I have a cheap second hand TV, no cable, no over the air available, and just attached a Chromecast dongle on it, and stream Netflix or hockey games from my computer.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:38 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,352,155 times
I have a couple of 50” plasma panels with good home theater audio in my places. I have a big blu ray/dvd library and several streaming services. I don’t watch anything with commercials except the NFL team I follow. I follow an English Premier League team and that is commercial-free. It’s on maybe 10 hours per week. My fiancée will occasionally binge watch a series. Schitt’s Creek and Mad Men this year. I’ll watch some of it. We like foreign programming. Wallander in Swedish with English subtitles. Hong Kong stuff in Cantonese. Lupin recently in French. The recent Sofia Loren movie in Italian.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,072,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I'm such a dinosaur, I had to look up what "Roku" was! (I learn so much on City-Data!!)

Anyway, because I strongly dislike 99% of the programs I have seen advertised since 1999 or so*, I will stick to DVDs and my flatscreen TV.

*When we had to stay in a motel for two weeks that had dozens of cable channels, the only channel we ended up watching was HGTV!
What is a Roku? Since I am not likely to want one, won't bother looking it up but just so you know.....you're not the last dinosaur.

A thing about old movies that are already seen, I find I can watch them again as if I had not seen them. That may be because the first time I saw them was during my drinking days or that my life has really picked up the pace so relaxed life is not so easy recalled, or with my closed circuit, theme nights, everything comes in as random.......and in our fast paced world, it gets lost in the jumble. I find I have to write down in my day planner what I watched if I want to remember that I did.

Given my theme nights, I can have thirsts, quests to have every spaghetti western, every Barbarian movie ever made!.........but between what I have in the library and now my memory, that is not necessary.

One thing I find in watching the old Westerns is an inspiration to return to the simpler life (even if in the movies I am just seeing a fantasy) such as the night's entertainment being a game of chess........or the time of childhood with the before mentioned ARAMCO tv. Of what is a looked forward kind of entertainment......but not the whole world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
.........I am getting to hate TVs in restaurants as everywhere you look, several are blaring away.
Actually, that was one of the things that turned me off about TV during my Vampirelle days. I would go to the Chinese buffet for lunch and ESPN was on their screens......and all they had were talking heads. It was one of the many examples that if you weren't watching prime time, they didn't care about you. It may be 24 hour available TV but it is not 24 hour quality TV.......so I got more and more into just having my own library.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:52 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times
I don't just still have a TV; I still have a cathode ray tube TV that's probably 20 years old. I use a converter box to get cable. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Old 03-29-2021, 07:00 AM

4,066 posts, read 2,154,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Have 3 TVs, living area sunroom, kitchen and exercise room. I refuse to pay for TV so no cable or dish. Haven't figured out how to get programs through Amazon Prime . Mostly watch PBS, MeTV , and a couple of network shows. Most of CBS,NBC and ABC shows do not interest me. I really don't want the TV to dominate the rooms of the house. Largest TV is 32" in sunroom.

I am getting to hate TVs in restaurants as everywhere you look, several are blaring away.
I agree! People are distracted enough by their phones and all the TVs just add to the barriers conversing and make restaurants so loud. I thought it was kind of telling that restaurants are considered to have increased risk during the pandemic not just because people are maskless as they eat but because they are talking loudly. I understand sports bars having them, but not every other restaurant!

I love that you don’t want your tv to dominate your rooms. In most homes they do, like nothing else could be as important.

As for Amazon Prime, you get the video content for free if you are an Amazon member, but you need their app on a phone or tablet or smart tv.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:06 AM

4,622 posts, read 3,323,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I'm such a dinosaur, I had to look up what "Roku" was! (I learn so much on City-Data!!)

Anyway, because I strongly dislike 99% of the programs I have seen advertised since 1999 or so*, I will stick to DVDs and my flatscreen TV.

*When we had to stay in a motel for two weeks that had dozens of cable channels, the only channel we ended up watching was HGTV!
We have ended up watching only two channels, really on the Roku. But I couldn't manage without them, and those two channels are PBS and Acorn. The PBS channel is free but Acorn costs about $99/year. To us it's worth every penny because that's all we watch (except for DH's soccer, but I don't count that, haha. He does, naturally)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement