Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 10:28 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I telecommuted from two vacation homes from 2009 onwards. By the time I broke 60, it became increasingly hard to land my next thing. I spliced together some 1099 contracts for beer money so I wasn’t touching savings but the pandemic put an end to it since everyone went remote and I was competing against Chinese, Taiwanese, and Korean engineers who get paid 40 cents on the dollar. If something dropped in my lap, I’d take it but I am behaving as though I’m retired.

In the long run, telecommuting is going to accelerate offshoring those jobs. Americans are expensive.
Yup. Been going on for 20 years. Be careful what you wish for....l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 10:54 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Congratulations, and enjoy! (not the surgery, but the subsequent retirement)
Why thanks so much. COVID changed my job so much I can't wait to retire.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:09 AM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
I never had the opportunity to work from home. My older sister worked 3 or 4 days a week at home and only 1 or 2 days at her office. This was about 30 years ago. I think it was a fairly unusual thing to work off-site in those days. She said she found she could get a lot more done because while at the office there were frequent interruptions from coworkers wanting to talk.

I am retired so it's not going to be an issue for me, but I am not sure I could be more productive at home. I think I might be distracted by the urge to mow the lawn or do other household chores.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
No, I planned for 2022 and that's still on. My employer is giving us the option of hybrid, so I will be working
in the office Tue/Wed/Th and at home Mondays and Fridays, starting July 1st. Since I've had both shots and have a private office, no worries, just have to pay for gas again. In my group only our director is old enough to retire, in fact my direct reports are all Millennials but one who is 62.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:26 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
We've been fully remote since last March with permanent WFH approval now.

I'm on a direct team of four. Of these, two are 60+, the other is 55. One has already moved from TN to OH to help his elderly mother, and has made it clear he'll retire if they do a march back to the office. The 55 year old has said she won't come back either.

I think it could potentially drive out a lot of older workers who would otherwise be on the fence.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:57 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
I guess I am in the minority. I actually am looking forward to go back to the office.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:36 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
OK, I'll bite. What is a DBA other than a legal structure for a somewhat anonymous form of self-employment?

My experience with Working From Home at two different times at two different employers, one Vivid related and one not, is that WFH is highly inefficient! Questions and business process steps that are completed within minutes in a staffed office, require hours (or even over-night) to be completed when the same staff is Working From Home.
It depends wildly on what the job is and what the scope is. If you collaborate closely with others face to face and need to each day, then in person will be more efficient. If your job is to speak to people all over the globe and spend a large portion of your day on Teams or Webex, then being in an office isn't necessarily more efficient, and you will lose productivity to commuting time if you have to drive yourself in.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:39 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Apparently they would rather hve them walk out the door than let them work from home.
Apparently.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
Yep, they exist. I used to be one prior to becoming a full-blown DBA. Is your business requiring them both to come into an office everyday?
It is now. After working from home for a year. It’s crazy.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I general DBAs are Database Administrators (I manage of bunch of them). If the company is reliable on 2 of them, they need to create a transition plan including proper documentation. Every good DBA can be replaced, but unfortunately some DBAs (job security? feel that they need to own the application?) don't do this. It's part of management to ensure everyone is replaceable.

Having said that, there's no reason why someone in IT is forced to come to the office.
In a perfect world, and if things were as they should be, of course. You would always hire a replacement before the other person walk out the door. However where I work - school division - not one single time have we hired a replacement before the person left - no “transitioning”. In fact in most positions, it is a year or more before the replacements were finally hired. It’s freak out mode, begging the person to come back part time, or hiring a consultant in the interim. And then everyone scratching their heads trying to figure stuff out. That’s what you get on a public sector budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement