Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 06:35 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times

Advertisements

OK, I'll bite. What is a DBA other than a legal structure for a somewhat anonymous form of self-employment?

My experience with Working From Home at two different times at two different employers, one Vivid related and one not, is that WFH is highly inefficient! Questions and business process steps that are completed within minutes in a staffed office, require hours (or even over-night) to be completed when the same staff is Working From Home.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 03-29-2021 at 07:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 07:15 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Database Analyst

My experience is WFH is much more efficient. Issues that previously involved shuffling to the conference room for a meeting and then "thinking it over" a few hours to days are instead handled in 5 minutes with a Teams call. And much fewer interruptions from Chatty Kathy.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:38 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I telecommuted from two vacation homes from 2009 onwards. By the time I broke 60, it became increasingly hard to land my next thing. I spliced together some 1099 contracts for beer money so I wasn’t touching savings but the pandemic put an end to it since everyone went remote and I was competing against Chinese, Taiwanese, and Korean engineers who get paid 40 cents on the dollar. If something dropped in my lap, I’d take it but I am behaving as though I’m retired.

In the long run, telecommuting is going to accelerate offshoring those jobs. Americans are expensive.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:08 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
OK, I'll bite. What is a DBA other than a legal structure for a somewhat anonymous form of self-employment?

My experience with Working From Home at two different times at two different employers, one Vivid related and one not, is that WFH is highly inefficient! Questions and business process steps that are completed within minutes in a staffed office, require hours (or even over-night) to be completed when the same staff is Working From Home.
I honestly thought that was a pretty well-known profession. DataBase Administrator.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:09 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
I am retiring in July. I was working from home since October. Also worked from home last March-May.
We have a small office- 5 people. I am having knee replacement in April. I went back to work, 2 weeks ago, to help train my replacement and also get things in order while I am recuperating. I plan to come back in late May/early June to wrap things up.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Database Analyst

My experience is WFH is much more efficient. Issues that previously involved shuffling to the conference room for a meeting and then "thinking it over" a few hours to days are instead handled in 5 minutes with a Teams call. And much fewer interruptions from Chatty Kathy.
In my world, it means Administrator, not analyst. I have never worked anywhere with a "Database Analyst" - but I guess they exist.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
...are an example of the 'rather few' mentioned. BFD

Using outliers as exemplars is a FREQUENT issue in the forums.
Well there happen to be a LOT of them in MY area of employment, therefore my post. The world does not consist of your small corner.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:18 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
In my world, it means Administrator, not analyst. I have never worked anywhere with a "Database Analyst" - but I guess they exist.
Yep, they exist. I used to be one prior to becoming a full-blown DBA. Is your business requiring them both to come into an office everyday?

Old 03-29-2021, 09:35 AM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,990 times
I general DBAs are Database Administrators (I manage of bunch of them). If the company is reliable on 2 of them, they need to create a transition plan including proper documentation. Every good DBA can be replaced, but unfortunately some DBAs (job security? feel that they need to own the application?) don't do this. It's part of management to ensure everyone is replaceable.

Having said that, there's no reason why someone in IT is forced to come to the office.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:41 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
I am retiring in July. I was working from home since October. Also worked from home last March-May.
We have a small office- 5 people. I am having knee replacement in April. I went back to work, 2 weeks ago, to help train my replacement and also get things in order while I am recuperating. I plan to come back in late May/early June to wrap things up.
Congratulations, and enjoy! (not the surgery, but the subsequent retirement)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement